• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for advice — expired railcard realisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonapple12

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2026
Messages
2
Location
headcorn
Hello everyone,

I recently joined the forum as I am looking for a bit of advice and have heard that there are knowledgeable and helpful people here who might be able to assist me.

For context, I am a student in my early 20s who has used Southeastern services between Headcorn and London terminals since secondary school. Throughout that period, I have owned numerous railcards (first a 16-17 saver, followed by a series of 18-25 cards). The latter few of these used to be kept on a separate Railcard app. For the last year and a half, I have made a return journey between these stations roughly once a week, purchasing my tickets using Trainline. I have never previously had any problems, penalties or run-ins regarding the validity of my tickets or railcards.

The reason for my post is that about one week ago during a normal evening trip up to London, it came to my attention that I had failed to renew my last 18-25 railcard, which I discovered had expired in Aug 2025. A conductor passed through the carriage and asked for tickets, which I duly scanned. However, he also asked to see my railcard, which I hadn’t been asked to show in many months (indeed, else I would have discovered my error much sooner!).

I searched my phone App Library for the Railcard app to do so, but realised I had neglected to remember to reinstall that app from the cloud when I upgraded my phone in September. I explained this to the conductor, who let me have a search of my emails. I couldn’t find any confirmation emails from Railcard app, which I now realise is because the email address associated with my Railcard app account was my old university email account, which was closed by the institution after I graduated. I told the conductor that I couldn’t locate it in my main inbox, so he asked me to see if I could re-download the Railcard app while he progressed through the rest of the train and said that he could come back later once he’d done the remaining carriages.

At the time, we were in a lengthy tunnel between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks, so I couldn’t connect to the App Store. I usually get a small bit of stable 4G at Sevenoaks station on my network, but it then gets very patchy and often doesn’t return for a good 20-30 minutes until the approach to London Bridge.

Here is where I am kicking myself: as I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to download the app in time to speak to him and hopeful that I could simply take the opportunity to do so while stopped at Sevenoaks so that I may show it later if required, I alighted there to stay connected to signal. After a few minutes of waiting, finally reinstalling and opening the Railcard app (still on the platform), I was shocked and embarrassed to see that my last one had expired in Aug 2025. According to my Trainline records, I think I have made about 30 return journeys in the last six months without realising that my railcard was expired.

I fully accept that it is my responsibility to check my railcard, and frankly I feel disappointed in myself and embarrassed that I’d overlooked something important like this. I have in previous years of using the service been on top of things, so I feel the whole mishap misrepresents my character and I have been beating myself up pretty badly since.

I immediately purchased a new 18-25 railcard then and there before continuing my journey, and I had no problems at the barriers at the other end. However, I had a sudden pang of panic once I headed home that maybe it would have been more sensible to have just taken the app problems on the chin and waited until the conductor returned to my carriage. I did not see him again after the initial interaction and I was not asked for my details at any point, but in hindsight I felt like maybe it would have been better to just accept that I couldn’t produce the railcard for that journey to the conductor later on. I’m a very non-confrontational and slightly anxious person and genuinely didn’t think I’d have an issue down the line regarding the railcards in my account if only I could get them ready, so I think I somewhat took the easy way out of the situation and then ended up doubly stressed when I realised that the status of the railcard in my app wasn’t okay as I’d expected.

As soon as practicable the next morning, I phoned Southeastern’s customer service line to explain my oversight regarding my expired Railcard and asked what the right channel to go through was, in case I could account for any shortfalls. They forwarded me to Trainline customer service (as they apparently had the ticket data), who I again explained the situation to honestly and fully (including the details of my brief interaction with the conductor). I was told by the operator that I was right to be honest, but that I shouldn’t worry as no penalty or other notice had been issued regarding my tickets/account by the conductor or anyone else. The call ended with no indication that anything further needed to be done on either end.

However, knowing the rigidity of the rules and how easily I could have avoided the whole thing if I’d just not been complacent and checked, I’ve been feeling pretty stressed and regretful about the whole thing. I know now that the advice on here is usually not to contact TOCs/Trainline until contacted, but at the time I felt very apologetic and I had a strong urge to just come clean with them about my oversight. As this was my first instance where I felt like I’d inadvertently done something wrong and wasn’t familiar with the protocol, I didn’t know what to do and figured honesty was the best way forwards.

I had obviously scanned my ticket with the conductor during our early interaction, and I understand that my email (and maybe address?) should be available through that if he later decided to pass it on. I haven’t received anything yet via email or post, but in case I do, I’m very keen not for the situation to escalate and want to rectify it if possible. I am working hard at studying for my dream job which begins later this year, and feel awful that I’ve made a silly mistake that could jeopardise that.

To that end, I have a few questions if anyone could please help me:

1. In the circumstances, is it likely that I can expect to hear from Southeastern/Trainline? How long do these kinds of communications typically take to be sent out?

2. Is there anything else I should be doing? I had obviously approached both companies as soon as possible afterwards to see if I could rectify my mistake - should I do anything further?

3. Do Southeastern tend to be amenable to settlements? Naturally, I don’t want this to end in prosecution, though I understand it is possible. I feel deeply remorseful about it all and would be happy to account for any sums due and/or admin costs so that I can move forwards in my life. Would it help my case at all that I immediately bought a new railcard upon realising and contacted them ASAP of my own volition to attempt to rectify my mistake? Indeed, I will continue to use the train service on a semi-regular basis, and would like to resume the good customer relationship that I had maintained until last August (and thought I had maintained until last week).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I apologise for its verbosity, but after reading the forum guidance I hope that more detail will enable better advice.

I would be very grateful for any insights the community may have, and respectfully ask commenters not to pass judgement as I am feeling pretty rubbish overall already and can’t turn back the clock. Many thanks again and I wish everyone a good weekend.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
Hello everyone,

I recently joined the forum as I am looking for a bit of advice and have heard that there are knowledgeable and helpful people here who might be able to assist me.

For context, I am a student in my early 20s who has used Southeastern services between Headcorn and London terminals since secondary school. Throughout that period, I have owned numerous railcards (first a 16-17 saver, followed by a series of 18-25 cards). The latter few of these used to be kept on a separate Railcard app. For the last year and a half, I have made a return journey between these stations roughly once a week, purchasing my tickets using Trainline. I have never previously had any problems, penalties or run-ins regarding the validity of my tickets or railcards.

The reason for my post is that about one week ago during a normal evening trip up to London, it came to my attention that I had failed to renew my last 18-25 railcard, which I discovered had expired in Aug 2025. A conductor passed through the carriage and asked for tickets, which I duly scanned. However, he also asked to see my railcard, which I hadn’t been asked to show in many months (indeed, else I would have discovered my error much sooner!).

I searched my phone App Library for the Railcard app to do so, but realised I had neglected to remember to reinstall that app from the cloud when I upgraded my phone in September. I explained this to the conductor, who let me have a search of my emails. I couldn’t find any confirmation emails from Railcard app, which I now realise is because the email address associated with my Railcard app account was my old university email account, which was closed by the institution after I graduated. I told the conductor that I couldn’t locate it in my main inbox, so he asked me to see if I could re-download the Railcard app while he progressed through the rest of the train and said that he could come back later once he’d done the remaining carriages.

At the time, we were in a lengthy tunnel between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks, so I couldn’t connect to the App Store. I usually get a small bit of stable 4G at Sevenoaks station on my network, but it then gets very patchy and often doesn’t return for a good 20-30 minutes until the approach to London Bridge.

Here is where I am kicking myself: as I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to download the app in time to speak to him and hopeful that I could simply take the opportunity to do so while stopped at Sevenoaks so that I may show it later if required, I alighted there to stay connected to signal. After a few minutes of waiting, finally reinstalling and opening the Railcard app (still on the platform), I was shocked and embarrassed to see that my last one had expired in Aug 2025. According to my Trainline records, I think I have made about 30 return journeys in the last six months without realising that my railcard was expired.

I fully accept that it is my responsibility to check my railcard, and frankly I feel disappointed in myself and embarrassed that I’d overlooked something important like this. I have in previous years of using the service been on top of things, so I feel the whole mishap misrepresents my character and I have been beating myself up pretty badly since.

I immediately purchased a new 18-25 railcard then and there before continuing my journey, and I had no problems at the barriers at the other end. However, I had a sudden pang of panic once I headed home that maybe it would have been more sensible to have just taken the app problems on the chin and waited until the conductor returned to my carriage. I did not see him again after the initial interaction and I was not asked for my details at any point, but in hindsight I felt like maybe it would have been better to just accept that I couldn’t produce the railcard for that journey to the conductor later on. I’m a very non-confrontational and slightly anxious person and genuinely didn’t think I’d have an issue down the line regarding the railcards in my account if only I could get them ready, so I think I somewhat took the easy way out of the situation and then ended up doubly stressed when I realised that the status of the railcard in my app wasn’t okay as I’d expected.

As soon as practicable the next morning, I phoned Southeastern’s customer service line to explain my oversight regarding my expired Railcard and asked what the right channel to go through was, in case I could account for any shortfalls. They forwarded me to Trainline customer service (as they apparently had the ticket data), who I again explained the situation to honestly and fully (including the details of my brief interaction with the conductor). I was told by the operator that I was right to be honest, but that I shouldn’t worry as no penalty or other notice had been issued regarding my tickets/account by the conductor or anyone else. The call ended with no indication that anything further needed to be done on either end.

However, knowing the rigidity of the rules and how easily I could have avoided the whole thing if I’d just not been complacent and checked, I’ve been feeling pretty stressed and regretful about the whole thing. I know now that the advice on here is usually not to contact TOCs/Trainline until contacted, but at the time I felt very apologetic and I had a strong urge to just come clean with them about my oversight. As this was my first instance where I felt like I’d inadvertently done something wrong and wasn’t familiar with the protocol, I didn’t know what to do and figured honesty was the best way forwards.

I had obviously scanned my ticket with the conductor during our early interaction, and I understand that my email (and maybe address?) should be available through that if he later decided to pass it on. I haven’t received anything yet via email or post, but in case I do, I’m very keen not for the situation to escalate and want to rectify it if possible. I am working hard at studying for my dream job which begins later this year, and feel awful that I’ve made a silly mistake that could jeopardise that.

To that end, I have a few questions if anyone could please help me:

1. In the circumstances, is it likely that I can expect to hear from Southeastern/Trainline? How long do these kinds of communications typically take to be sent out?

2. Is there anything else I should be doing? I had obviously approached both companies as soon as possible afterwards to see if I could rectify my mistake - should I do anything further?

3. Do Southeastern tend to be amenable to settlements? Naturally, I don’t want this to end in prosecution, though I understand it is possible. I feel deeply remorseful about it all and would be happy to account for any sums due and/or admin costs so that I can move forwards in my life. Would it help my case at all that I immediately bought a new railcard upon realising and contacted them ASAP of my own volition to attempt to rectify my mistake? Indeed, I will continue to use the train service on a semi-regular basis, and would like to resume the good customer relationship that I had maintained until last August (and thought I had maintained until last week).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I apologise for its verbosity, but after reading the forum guidance I hope that more detail will enable better advice.

I would be very grateful for any insights the community may have, and respectfully ask commenters not to pass judgement as I am feeling pretty rubbish overall already and can’t turn back the clock. Many thanks again and I wish everyone a good weekend.
Welcome.

There’s a strong likelihood that nothing will come of this.

But your efforts to do the right thing will stand you in good stead if it did.

Getting off the train to buy a new railcard and regularise your journey when you realised the issue was a reasonable thing to do.

If you hear from them head back here for help on how to respond.

Southeastern would almost certainly settle out of court but unless you want to pay them a fairly big sum for replacement tickets since your railcard expired I would not contact them about this.
Trainline have nothing to do with this so it was pointless you being referred to them by SE Trains customer services.
The call handler that recommended speaking to Trainline did you a favour, unwittingly or otherwise, as they should probably have passed you across to SE trains revenue protection team who would have been more likely to send you a large bill for replacement tickets covering historic travel incorrectly discounted with a Railcard since the period of your railcard’s expired.
 
Last edited:

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
You did all the right things once you realised. I agree it’s unlikely you’ll be contacted by SE, and Trainline indeed have absolutely nothing to do with it. Try to move on - it’s highly likely you’ll be able to settle if anything does ever come of it. If they contact you, come back here for advice :)
 

anonapple12

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2026
Messages
2
Location
headcorn
Welcome.

There’s a strong likelihood that nothing will come of this.

But your efforts to do the right thing will stand you in good stead if it did.

Getting off the train to buy a new railcard and regularise your journey when you realised the issue was a reasonable thing to do.

If you hear from them head back here for help on how to respond.

Southeastern would almost certainly settle out of court but unless you want to pay them a fairly big sum for replacement tickets since your railcard expired I would not contact them about this.
Trainline have nothing to do with this so it was pointless you being referred to them by SE Trains customer services.
The call handler that recommended speaking to Trainline did you a favour, unwittingly or otherwise, as they should probably have passed you across to SE trains revenue protection team who would have been more likely to send you a large bill for replacement tickets covering historic travel incorrectly discounted with a Railcard since the period of your railcard’s expired.
Thank you both @WesternLancer and @z444z for your responses - I appreciate your help and will bear it in mind!

If you have any idea, do you know how long it generally takes for TOCs to get in touch if they decide to?

Finally, if I need to return to the forum for advice, is it best to create a new thread asking for help with a response or is it easier to simply update this existing thread?

Many thanks again and I hope both of you are enjoying your weekends.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
If you have any idea, do you know how long it generally takes for TOCs to get in touch if they decide to?
We don’t see a huge number of SE cases but where they do get in touch it seems to be very fast, less than a month, sometimes less than 2 weeks.
Finally, if I need to return to the forum for advice, is it best to create a new thread asking for help with a response or is it easier to simply update this existing thread?
Reply to this thread. If it’s been so long that the thread has been locked, use the Report button to ask a moderator to reopen it. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason do just make a new thread and a moderator will merge them.
Many thanks again and I hope both of you are enjoying your weekends.
No problem - you too :D
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
We don’t see a huge number of SE cases but where they do get in touch it seems to be very fast, less than a month, sometimes less than 2 weeks.

Reply to this thread. If it’s been so long that the thread has been locked, use the Report button to ask a moderator to reopen it. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason do just make a new thread and a moderator will merge them.

No problem - you too :D
Actually on timescales I’m not sure this is always correct. We’ve seen longstanding cases just been given holding replies by SE trains after some months.

IP they have 6 months to bring criminal court action so if you e not heard in 6 to 7 months that isn’t going to happen.
If they are going to get in touch it could be mute likely to be between a few weeks and a few months if unlucky and they are slow.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Actually on timescales I’m not sure this is always correct. We’ve seen longstanding cases just been given holding replies by SE trains after some months.
Some cases do seem to be on hold but when they do get in touch without putting it on hold it seems to be very quick.

A few recent cases summarised:

Caught August 2025, letter received 2 weeks later

Caught September 2025, letter received 8 days later

Caught September 2025, letter received 7 days later

Caught September 2025, SE said in January 2026 "likely to be a number of months"

Caught October 2025, letter received within 2 weeks

Caught October 2025, letter received 10 days later

Caught November 2025, SE sent holding response in January 2026
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
Some cases do seem to be on hold but when they do get in touch without putting it on hold it seems to be very quick.

A few recent cases summarised:

Caught August 2025, letter received 2 weeks later

Caught September 2025, letter received 8 days later

Caught September 2025, letter received 7 days later

Caught September 2025, SE said in January 2026 "likely to be a number of months"

Caught October 2025, letter received within 2 weeks

Caught October 2025, letter received 10 days later

Caught November 2025, SE sent holding response in January 2026
Good info. I can’t disagree with that analysis.
Maybe it’s just a small number of complicated cases that drag on then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top