• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for a phone app with the "via" option

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2013
Messages
294
Location
Worcester
I'm looking for an app for my phone where you I can input the "via" option when planning train journeys.

The National Rail app let's me do that but I always encounter problems when proceeding to buy the ticket.

I currently use the CrossCountry app to buy tickets on my phone, but it doesn't give me the "via" option when planning journeys. Others I've tried don't either.

Anybody know of any train operator app that does?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
The ÖBB app allows you to specify multiple via points, using it for UK journeys however could be a bit challenging...

I can't think of any other apps, you could use the TOC's website?
 

Lucan

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
1,260
Location
Wales
I cannot help with rail journeys, but when I was buying a navigator for driving I found it very difficult to find this function, or even find out whether particular models offered this facility. It was mostly not offered, the attitude seeming to be that the user should not trouble their pretty head about the way taken and that they should just follow the recommended route blindly.

For example driving from Bristol to Ipswich I might not want to go via the M25 for various reasons (like boredom), which any navigator would choose by default, but rather via the South Midlands. So with the aid of a map I will set up several of what I later learned are called "waypoints", for example in the Northampton and Cambridge areas. When I tried to explain this requirement to a Halfords manager he said "If you know what way to go, why do you need a navigator?". I gave up, rather than try to explain that just because I knew which general way to go, I did not know each junction and roundabout exit along the way.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
I'm looking for an app for my phone where you I can input the "via" option when planning train journeys.

The National Rail app let's me do that but I always encounter problems when proceeding to buy the ticket.

I currently use the CrossCountry app to buy tickets on my phone, but it doesn't give me the "via" option when planning journeys. Others I've tried don't either.

Anybody know of any train operator app that does?

Trainline's app is user-friendly and includes a 'via' option, plus it supports mobile tickets for all compatible operators rather than the Virgin, CrossCountry, WMT etc. apps which each only support mobile tickets for their own trains.

The obvious downside is that you have to pay a ridiculous booking fee if you buy before the day of travel. So if you're getting a walk-up ticket that's alright, as you can save the booking fee but still pay the same fare by buying on the day of travel - but it's not much use for Advance tickets.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top