• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Look your Meal in the Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
I was in a Restaurant in Portsmouth the other week which happened to have a Tank in from which you could select a Lobster for your meal. I do not partake of shellfish but it got me thinking :idea:

As I ordered a steak if they had brought several cows out would I have been able to select a doe eyed beast in the knowledge it would be sacrificed to provide my sustenance.

Furthermore if diners had to personally despatch their intended source of nourishment how many would become vegetarians ?

I for one would - is Butts the only hypocrite on here :oops:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,341
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Furthermore if diners had to personally despatch their intended source of nourishment how many would become vegetarians ?

I'd certainly not dress as smartly if I had to do that in the restaurant <D

also, if they're bringing out cows beforehand it'd presumably take a while to cook, unless you like your meat very rare (also, you're not going to eat the whole thing, so the idea of having a choice of animals to eat might be a bit wasteful [/pedant])
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
Presumably they'd also show you your vegetables being liberally sprayed with wet organic fertilizer as well. :P
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
No eyes or doleful face :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


They are inanimate and don't squeal when subjected to a knife :o

I wouldn't be so sure...

Numerous studies over the last few years have shown that plants are able to evoke a response to pain causing stimuli...
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,415
Location
Back in Sussex
No eyes or doleful face :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


They are inanimate and don't squeal when subjected to a knife :o

You may claim that they are inanimate and don't squeal but what about brussel sprouts ?, they still cause squealing after they've been eaten

:o
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
Are you not curious to taste a meat product ?

Honestly, not really. No meat product has ever really 'appealed' to me. I must admit, some do smell nice, but my Quorn products are more than sufficent.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
Honestly, not really. No meat product has ever really 'appealed' to me. I must admit, some do smell nice, but my Quorn products are more than sufficent.

Even though they are basically mould (as in fungus/slime/mould)?

And apparently, there is a significant risk of developing an allergy...
http://rontlog.hubpages.com/hub/Food-Allergies-Quorn
http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/
Need I say more...

In fact, I would sooner look a live animal in the eye and then eat meat from that species than eat quorn.
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
Even though they are basically mould (as in fungus/slime/mould)?

And apparently, there is a significant risk of developing an allergy...
http://rontlog.hubpages.com/hub/Food-Allergies-Quorn
http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/
Need I say more...

In fact, I would sooner look a live animal in the eye and then eat meat from that species than eat quorn.

:roll:

Well, I seem to be perfectly fine and happy.

I didn't come on here attacking meat eaters? I'm sure there are plenty of links I could pull up which claim eating meat is wrong, and can find links which say it isn't good for you for whatever reason, but I'm not going to, because I don't have a problem with those who do eat it.

I'm not in the business of pushing my beliefs on other people, sadly. :lol:
 
Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
:lol:

I was brought up a vegetarian by my parents, so wouldn't really know. ;)

Please don't view this is a personal attack but this is something I find a bit wrong, to me it is wrong for parents to "force" vegetarianism on a child.

I had a friend many years ago who had vegetarian parents and their line was they would prefer that he didn't eat meat but he always had the choice to eat meat if he wanted.
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
Please don't view this is a personal attack but this is something I find a bit wrong, to me it is wrong for parents to "force" vegetarianism on a child.

I had a friend many years ago who had vegetarian parents and their line was they would prefer that he didn't eat meat but he always had the choice to eat meat if he wanted.

To be fair, once I reached the age of 8 and upwards, my parents did give me the option of eating meat If I wanted to, as even though they wanted me to be vegetarian, they understood that I should make the final decision.

For some bizarre reason, I decided to stick with the vegetarian thing!
 

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
Of course, veggies are responsible for more animal deaths than us omnivores (note, since I eat vegetables, I'm not a carnivore...).

http://theconversation.edu.au/order...l-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

Having ridden a tractor whilst ploughing a field, you'd be amazed at the number of fluffy creatures (mainly fluffy babies) ground up getting theground ready for planting.

I've killed animals to eat before, fish, rabbits and squirrels mainly. It's not pleasant, but I can do it, as I believe that understanding what happens to get food on your plate is an integral part of developing respect for the food chain.
 
Last edited:

Hyphen

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
504
Location
Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
In fact, I would sooner look a live animal in the eye and then eat meat from that species than eat quorn.

I was brought up a veggie (and given little/no choice throughout my early life). In my first year of uni I stayed veggie, as it was all I knew. In my second year, whilst rather drunk, someone introduced me to bacon. Never went back ;)

That said, the rest of my family remains veggie and I quite happily eat Quorn when visiting. Never had a Christmas turkey either.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,302
Location
Bolton
My mum, dad and brother are vegetarian. I have been all my life and have no wish to change this, even though I could do at any point now if I wanted to. I'm content with my moral position as a balance with practicality at present - but I'm not entirely satisfied there aren't some improvements to be made in future, when I've got more income for these things, particularly in the eggs and dairy area.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Please don't view this is a personal attack but this is something I find a bit wrong, to me it is wrong for parents to "force" vegetarianism on a child.

Surely all parents are going to have to make some decisions for their children until they are old enough to do so themselves? This is just one of those. I can't see how anyone's parents can control their diet indefinitely?

Never heard any of this about Quorn before but I'd suggest it's not much to it, we have been eating it for quite some time without any issues. It's a bit expensive though :/
 
Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I did try to become vegetarian for a week but failed on day 2 and I find it hard to think how vegetarians cope. And I also think quorn tastes like crap. Yuck.

As for seeing animals before I eat them, and I know this sounds really horrible and wrong in many ways, I actually love the satisfaction of catching an animal myself and preparing it and eating it on the table. Being the keen sea fisherman I am, there is nothing better than a day out on the pier catching your dinner.

I also love hunting and even managed to bring a rabbit home for tea once after spotting a rabbit coming home from school and quite conveniently finding a brick at the same time, some goes with a pigeon although that was with a stick and it was injured and I actually had set out to try and get one.

And before anybody decides to hissy fit, I am not an animal hater and love animals myself. I have lots of fish, a cat and until not long ago I had an African Grey parrot. And to show it even more, I always pick up beer can rings and snap them and/or bin them if I ever come across any in the street.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top