Berko, given the cant, is a great place to go Pendo watching - they certainly go through at a fair whack! How do the Super Voyagers have a lower limit?mor is the lower limit for 220s only (which will no longer be seen down there of course)
Is it perhaps because 221's tilt more than 390's?How do the Super Voyagers have a lower limit?mor is the lower limit for 220s only (which will no longer be seen down there of course)
Berko, given the cant, is a great place to go Pendo watching - they certainly go through at a fair whack! How do the Super Voyagers have a lower limit?mor is the lower limit for 220s only (which will no longer be seen down there of course)
Is it perhaps because 221's tilt more than 390's?
Would the Trent Valley Railway be in with a good shout between Rugby TV Junction and Colwich, using the middle pair of tracks?
Probably, as soon as I wrote it I started to doubt myself.Isn't it the other way around (8 degrees for a Pendo and 6 for a Voyager IIRC)?
Speeds might go up at Watford Jn after the works complete, but there's still the tunnel at 110mph.
Slough, on the down main, is probably the most concerning one, in the morning peak, should a down service on the relief line and the Windsor shuttle arrive at the same time, all exiting via the gateline on the down main which has been squeezed in between the station building and the platform edge, people running round from one end to the other depending on the press of the queue, maybe 100 or 200, which goes right out to the yellow line (and sometimes beyond), when WHAM! a down main service running at 125 mph passes just a few feet away. I honestly can't see how this one passed any genuinely done risk assessment.
The linespeed through, both, Stoke Tunnel 5 miles south of Grantham, and Peasecliffe Tunnel 3 miles to the north, is 115mph. It is the same between the 2 tunnels, including through the station.. . . at Newark Northgate you have the flat crossing so they will be doing circa 100mph (as it has a restriction). Grantham has a curve and it is possible they are also slowing for the tunnel.
Northallerton and Thirsk in Yorkshire both have a 125 linespeed. The fast lines though St Neots, Biggleswade and Stevenage are also 125mph.Northallerton I wouldn't be surprised if it is passed at 125mph. Certainly some of the stations between Peterborough and London will be done at 125mph.
....Thirsk in Yorkshire both have a 125 linespeed. The fast lines though St Neots, Biggleswade and Stevenage are also 125mph.
So sorry, but why do the 221s have a lower speed limit in places than the 390s? Is it the 2 degrees less tilt or something else? I always wondered why the Chester service from Euston to MK takes one minute longer than the other two. I assumed it was slower acceleration.
I'll be interesting to see if the speed through stations will be 140mph when the Prius are up and fully running.
Is being splatted at 140 that much worse than being splatted at 125?There's a rule somewhere that states that platform tracks can only be used above 125mph if there are no passengers on the platform at the time. So if speeds are increased through stations where the platforms are on the main lines, either new platform loops must be provided or staff must clear the passengers off the platform when a high speed train approaches and only let them on the platform after it has gone.
Is being splatted at 140 that much worse than being splatted at 125?
If 140mph increases the chances of getting sucked off the platform I am all for it (you were all thinking it, don't deny it.....)
Is being splatted at 140 that much worse than being splatted at 125?
Appendix A shows 105 southbound on UF and a change from 105 to 115 half way through station northbound on DF which doesn't have a platform face.
I'd assume it's more to do with the risk of the increased windspeed on the platform just after a train passes (for which the technical term evades my memory at this moment)
If 140mph increases the chances of getting sucked off the platform I am all for it (you were all thinking it, don't deny it.....)
If 140mph increases the chances of getting sucked off the platform I am all for it (you were all thinking it, don't deny it.....)
I was waiting for 40 minutes at Barrow Upon Soar this afternoon. There were numerous fast East Midlands Trains passing by the station.
What is the line speed on the MML like? It is certainly slower than the ECML and WCML.
I was waiting for 40 minutes at Barrow Upon Soar this afternoon. There were numerous fast East Midlands Trains passing by the station.
What is the line speed on the MML like? It is certainly slower than the ECML and WCML.