• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest section of jointed track left in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
Where is the longest section of traditional jointed track left in the UK which is still in use?

My guess would be the Heart of Wales line between Craven Arms and Pantyffynon, which is just over 78 miles. I think that is pretty much all jointed. South of Pantyffynon has some cwr.

Maybe some longer sections elsewhere though?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,012
Location
Edinburgh
The Far North Line is 146 miles from Inverness to Georgemas Junction (a little further to Wick/Thurso, but the service pattern makes it mildly annoying to calculate the end-to-end distance). I believe it's jointed for most or all of its route.
 

507020

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2021
Messages
1,983
Location
Southport
Where is the longest section of traditional jointed track left in the UK which is still in use?

My guess would be the Heart of Wales line between Craven Arms and Pantyffynon, which is just over 78 miles. I think that is pretty much all jointed. South of Pantyffynon has some cwr.

Maybe some longer sections elsewhere though?
I suspect that this is going to be very difficult to answer.

If there is a single weld anywhere on the Heart of Wales line (I have no idea either way, I have never travelled on it) then the distance is less than half that.
 

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
The Far North Line is 146 miles from Inverness to Georgemas Junction (a little further to Wick/Thurso, but the service pattern makes it mildly annoying to calculate the end-to-end distance). I believe it's jointed for most or all of its route.
I had thought of that line, but I've not been on it for many years, so unsure if it's all still jointed. I think it was back in the 1980s though!
 

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,012
Location
Edinburgh
I had thought of that line, but I've not been on it for many years, so unsure if it's all still jointed. I think it was back in the 1980s though!
I was there a couple months ago, and it was definitely jointed for much of the route. Not sure if all, though, hence my hedging.
 

CEN60

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2018
Messages
299
I had thought of that line, but I've not been on it for many years, so unsure if it's all still jointed. I think it was back in the 1980s though!
It is no longer all jointed - there are stretches of CWR on the route. For instance there is a few miles of CWR at Altnabreac. Also at the low mileage end - there is CWR after you pass Clachnaharry pretty much all the way to Bunchrew. There are however long runs of "clickety clack" stuff over the route.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top