• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest line of sight (UK)

Altrincham

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
278
These are great replies.

I saw the same sight again of Birmingham’s skyline a couple of nights ago, this time further along the Ashbourne to Leek road, and then the Weaver Hills blocked out the view. It sounds like Harboro Rocks could be the furthest north that the skyline of Birmingham is visible from.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,328
Not sure but one dynamic panorama-generating site revealed that you could see France and I think Alderney from the top of the Isle of Wight's Chillerton Down transmitter.
I missed this one earlier, but in the 1960s when Channel Television, a small ITV region, started up, and before satellites were readily available, they had a microwave link from a Westward Television transmitter on top of Haldon Hill behind Teignmouth, Devon, to a receiver on Alderney (and then a link onwards to Jersey). Microwaves travel in dead straight lines so the two aerials must have been line-of-sight with one another. I can't see any record of how high they were.
 

Top