I don't regularly read Steam Railway; but happened recently upon a copy in my possession, of the June / July 2014 issue; which included an article about plans then, concerning the Long Marston "assorted-rail-doings" site (where my brother -- only slightly interested in railways -- is at present working as a draughtsman). Per the article, as at summer 2014 a group of railway enthusiasts in the armed forces, were seeking to set up at Long Marston (formerly a Ministry of Defence rail venue), a modest "heritage" operation with a strong military flavour -- including active steam locos. This was planned to commemorate "military railwaying" activities from the 19th century to their formal end early in the 21st; and to maintain on a voluntary basis, skills and equipment for envisaged possible use in non-military emergencies.
Plainly, I had read this article at the time, and then forgotten about it. I'm not aware of having heard any more about the scheme concerned; I assume that it came to nothing. Can anyone kindly supply more information about this hoped-for development, and what became of it?
Plainly, I had read this article at the time, and then forgotten about it. I'm not aware of having heard any more about the scheme concerned; I assume that it came to nothing. Can anyone kindly supply more information about this hoped-for development, and what became of it?