• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Victoria Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Karmel

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2010
Messages
399
Location
London
Hello!

Sorry for my english...

I need help, because I'm actualy in Poland, and my Mom is in England and in Sunday travel from Norwich to London Victoria Station by coach. And later from London Victoria Station to Woolwich Arsenal by Underground and DLR. And tube and DLR for my Mom isn't problem. But problem is because my Mom don't have Oyster card. My Mom isn't young, and she can't speak english. My question is if on London Victoria Station (railway, because in Underground I know isn't) self-machine tickets where my Mom can buy Travelcard zones 1-4 (7,30 pounds or something). Not train tickets (because train not running to Woolwich in Sunday) only Underground. My mom don't have Oyster card, and she can't buy this ticket in Underground machine, and she can't speak english (can't buy in ticket office). Where is this machine? Opposite which platforms. Then I can explained this my Mom. And IF you have - photo of this machine.

I'll be very, very thankful for help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
This may help you, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/VIC/plan.html

This is the station layout for London Victoria Railway Station, where ever you find a logo like this
11.gif
you will find a Ticket Machine, I don't know if there is a multi-language options on any of the machines, there may be. Hover your mouse over the map and click for photos and information.

Hope this helps you.

TP
 

Roylang

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2011
Messages
394
Location
Hampshire & Cornwall
I often have to travel in countries where I do not speak the language. I find it useful to ask somebody local to write down what I need to purchase. That way, as a last resort, I can look completely lost and just point to what I need at a ticket desk :)

Hope that helps,

Roy
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Surely the underground station has ticket machines from which you can buy a one day travelcard? Every other underground station has.

The only problem with Victoria is the weekday evening rush hour. As it's a Sunday - no problem
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
That ticket can be purchased from any London Underground or DLR machine, or any National Rail machine in London zones 1-4. It is the same ticket wherever it is bought.

However, if your mother's only journey on TFL services that day is from Victoria to Woolwich Arsenal changing at Bank/Monument, she can get a single ticket for £5.00 from the London Underground machines or window.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that there are no ticket sales in Victoria LU. The ticket hall is closed on weekday evenings because of overcrowding, but will be normal on weekends.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.
 

oversteer

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2011
Messages
742
As island says the ticket hall is closed on weekdays between 1600 and 2000 - otherwise, from the entrance facing the Victoria Station main entrance, the ticket machines are down the stairs and immediately on your left. The Zone 1-4 Travelcard ticket is on the main screen and there's cash and card payment machines.

The 'quick ticket' machines in the NR station also sell zone 1-4 travelcards, except with these you press 'buy ticket' on the bottom left of the main screen first, then zone 1-4 is the top option. Payment by card only on these.
 
Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
T-karmal, can you email your mum instructions showing what ticket she needs? She can print this off and if she gets stuck she can show the email to a member of staff. This will also help if she nerds to ask for directions or which train to catch.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
The machines in the Underground station with touch-screen will have language selection, I am pretty sure I have seen someone use one in Polish in front of me before at Euston.
 

T-Karmel

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2010
Messages
399
Location
London
Hmm... Thanks very much for all :) I think on Underground Machine can't buy Travelcard or Single Ticket without Oyster card. On DLR stations machine I see this option, but not on Underground. I scared when my mom will be on station, Ticket Office will be closed... But I can write my mom text for staff with information about ticket too. If you talk about Single Ticket in Underground Machine, my mom cope, because Underground Machine have polish language :) Single Ticket it's better then Travelcard.

And just in case - Can my mom buy Single Ticket in NR machine and use in Underground/DLR?
 

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,116
Location
SE16
Single Ticket it's better then Travelcard.
Remember they are only valid for 1 journey, whereas travelcard will give you unlimited travel within those zones within the date validity.

I think on Underground Machine can't buy Travelcard or Single Ticket without Oyster card. On DLR stations machine I see this option, but not on Underground.
You can buy normal paper travelcards from Underground ticket machines.

And just in case - Can my mom buy Single Ticket in NR machine and use in Underground/DLR?
I don't think a single ticket from the National Rail machines will be valid for LU/DLR.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I think on Underground Machine can't buy Travelcard or Single Ticket without Oyster card.
That's not correct. You can, but it's just far more expensive.
And just in case - Can my mom buy Single Ticket in NR machine and use in Underground/DLR?
Generally this is only allowed when there are engineering works preventing you from making your journey by National Rail. Which there aren't tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top