• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 / CSA2 - Recruitment and Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Does LUL require any new staff to live within a certain distance of central London. I ask as when I joined I was living in Milton Keynes and so were plenty of others.
As a matter of interest my first station I was rostered at was Moorgate however I eventually gained a position at Watford Met. This was a Booking Clerk.
 

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
Does LUL require any new staff to live within a certain distance of central London. I ask as when I joined I was living in Milton Keynes and so were plenty of others.
As a matter of interest my first station I was rostered at was Moorgate however I eventually gained a position at Watford Met. This was a Booking Clerk.
I don't think there is any particular requirement to live a set distance as long as you can make a potential 4.30am start at any station on the network. Probably not great to apply if you live in Cornwall although a few years ago I knew a CSA who did exactly that, and stayed with his mother in London and only went home when he had 2 days off or more.
 

T103

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
179
Location
London
Does LUL require any new staff to live within a certain distance of central London. I ask as when I joined I was living in Milton Keynes and so were plenty of others.
As a matter of interest my first station I was rostered at was Moorgate however I eventually gained a position at Watford Met. This was a Booking Clerk.
No you can join from anywhere, but when you sign the form you agree to be placed anywhere on the network and agree to start and finish at anytime.
 

Queenie

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2025
Messages
36
Location
London
oh wow thats fantastic.

it seems as though people dropping off after training though, nobody really seems to check in after. I’m curious as to what happens lol.
My life got a bit hectic lol sorry

4 weeks training completed now

The training and assessments are absolutely nothing to worry about the tests are multiple choice and pretty much common sense.

They don’t want you to fail and they put it the work to help you pass. Also there’s lots of resources such as e-learning that are available to you to build on all the stuff you learn I. The classrooms

I luckily got a station close to me, 25 mins door to door

Got my uniform day 2 and Oyster card day 1, iPad day 3, although this might be different for other groups
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
My life got a bit hectic lol sorry

4 weeks training completed now

The training and assessments are absolutely nothing to worry about the tests are multiple choice and pretty much common sense.

They don’t want you to fail and they put it the work to help you pass. Also there’s lots of resources such as e-learning that are available to you to build on all the stuff you learn I. The classrooms

I luckily got a station close to me, 25 mins door to door

Got my uniform day 2 and Oyster card day 1, iPad day 3, although this might be different for other groups
thanks for the update!

Great news about getting a station near to you, will hopefully make commute smooth.

Do you know what your shift patterns are looking like yet?
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
How's it going? How's the training? Intense?
Training is going really fun at the moment. I’m really enjoying it. It’s not intense at all the trainers really help you they’re very nice. They’re very engaging in any questions you have. They answer it. Got my uniform today and my oyster card and tomorrow I have the fire safety drill exam which is multiple choice so that should be good.
 

toobusy31

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
24
Location
london
Training is going really fun at the moment. I’m really enjoying it. It’s not intense at all the trainers really help you they’re very nice. They’re very engaging in any questions you have. They answer it. Got my uniform today and my oyster card and tomorrow I have the fire safety drill exam which is multiple choice so that should be good.
That’s great to hear. Were you a big group? Or did they split you up in classes?
 

hydroman

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2026
Messages
12
Location
london
Training is going really fun at the moment. I’m really enjoying it. It’s not intense at all the trainers really help you they’re very nice. They’re very engaging in any questions you have. They answer it. Got my uniform today and my oyster card and tomorrow I have the fire safety drill exam which is multiple choice so that should be good.
Appreciate that. Sounds very positive.

Glad its going well...cant wait to start myself, good luck with your exam tomorrow.

Keep us updated. exciting to know what to expect.

Did you get your station? and were you allowed to swap?
 

jimmycconway

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2025
Messages
31
Location
London
My life got a bit hectic lol sorry

4 weeks training completed now

The training and assessments are absolutely nothing to worry about the tests are multiple choice and pretty much common sense.

They don’t want you to fail and they put it the work to help you pass. Also there’s lots of resources such as e-learning that are available to you to build on all the stuff you learn I. The classrooms

I luckily got a station close to me, 25 mins door to door

Got my uniform day 2 and Oyster card day 1, iPad day 3, although this might be different for other groups
Thanks for checking back in!

Mate this all sounds great. I'm hoping I get a station so close to me. I've got a few options, there's one in particular I really want just because of proximity but let's see how it goes.

Glad to hear training was quite simple for you, looking forward to starting myself. Getting my medical done soon and then ready to go!
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Appreciate that. Sounds very positive.

Glad its going well...cant wait to start myself, good luck with your exam tomorrow.

Keep us updated. exciting to know what to expect.

Did you get your station? and were you allowed to swap?
Yes, I did get my station I prefer to not say exactly where it is but it’s on the district line in the west of London and regarding swapping basically they said in quotation marks this is just from my training manager. He basically Said and I quote some personalities are bigger than others so I’m presuming other people were pressuring other people to swap and that just caused chaos, so they’ve kinda technically stop swapping now. I’m not sure if you talk to them in private if you both are mutual maybe they can still allow a swap, but it’s very difficult to do it now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
My life got a bit hectic lol sorry

4 weeks training completed now

The training and assessments are absolutely nothing to worry about the tests are multiple choice and pretty much common sense.

They don’t want you to fail and they put it the work to help you pass. Also there’s lots of resources such as e-learning that are available to you to build on all the stuff you learn I. The classrooms

I luckily got a station close to me, 25 mins door to door

Got my uniform day 2 and Oyster card day 1, iPad day 3, although this might be different for other groups
thanks for the update

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Training is going really fun at the moment. I’m really enjoying it. It’s not intense at all the trainers really help you they’re very nice. They’re very engaging in any questions you have. They answer it. Got my uniform today and my oyster card and tomorrow I have the fire safety drill exam which is multiple choice so that should be good.
thanks for the update
 

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
When did you get your offer? I’m early November but still waiting for OH
I also received my conditional offer in early November. I had my OH around a month ago so I'd suggest giving them a call.

I will say that it does not seem to be linear, every case seems to move at different speeds.
 

jimmycconway

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2025
Messages
31
Location
London
When did you get your offer? I’m early November but still waiting for OH
November also, but I'm assuming the same thing that Markazz said, it's not a linear process in the slightest. Personally I don't mind waiting as I'd rather start just after summer to finish things off with my current work, but at the same time...wouldn't mind getting an update
 

toobusy31

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
24
Location
london
November also, but I'm assuming the same thing that Markazz said, it's not a linear process in the slightest. Personally I don't mind waiting as I'd rather start just after summer to finish things off with my current work, but at the same time...wouldn't mind getting an update
I also received my conditional offer in early November. I had my OH around a month ago so I'd suggest giving them a call.

I will say that it does not seem to be linear, every case seems to move at different speeds.
Thank you both for your replies.

I just called them and they explained that there’s more ahead of me and it might be a couple more months until they book my OH. So it’s going to be a long wait until I start my training
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm currently redoing some Reed checks, DBS, RTW etc, but hopefully it's just a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's at this point.
what bits specifically are you having to redo? are they contacting employers again?
 

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
what bits specifically are you having to redo? are they contacting employers again?
Not references thankfully as that would annoy my old employer, even though I left on good terms. Just DBS and RTW although I just sent the same id documents as last time so not sure why they needed them (nothing expired). DBS is understandable but literally took 24 hours. You'll probably have to do the same.
 

hass21ik

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2025
Messages
12
Location
London
I received my conditional back in end of Jan. Been told it might take up to 7 months to get a training date. Anyone else hear the same?
 

toobusy31

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
24
Location
london
I received my conditional back in end of Jan. Been told it might take up to 7 months to get a training date. Anyone else hear the same?
You most likely will have a long wait. I got my offer early November and I’m still waiting. Others with early November offers have either started training or have completed their OH. Of course as everyone has been saying in this thread, it is not linear. You could start earlier or later. Just bear in mind as the campaign said, it can take over a year to start.
 

IBF

New Member
Joined
30 Jan 2026
Messages
3
Location
London
Thank you both for your replies.

I just called them and they explained that there’s more ahead of me and it might be a couple more months until they book my OH. So it’s going to be a long wait until I start my training
I took markazz’s advice and left it a few weeks before calling for an update instead of checking in weekly.

Yesterday I booked my OH for next week. I was told the next slots would be next month if that helps. For reference my conditional offer was mid December.
 

toobusy31

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
24
Location
london
I took markazz’s advice and left it a few weeks before calling for an update instead of checking in weekly.

Yesterday I booked my OH for next week. I was told the next slots would be next month if that helps. For reference my conditional offer was mid December.
That’s great news for you!

I wish I called yesterday haha, but he did say on the phone that there’s like 50 others ahead of me. So who knows what could happen. I’ve only called twice and have been waiting since January. But, like others said before it’s not linear.
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Not references thankfully as that would annoy my old employer, even though I left on good terms. Just DBS and RTW although I just sent the same id documents as last time so not sure why they needed them (nothing expired). DBS is understandable but literally took 24 hours. You'll probably have to do the same.
what about your OH?
 

Top