• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 / CSA2 - Recruitment and Discussion

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Hey guys, I received a conditional offer a little while ago and I noticed people have been getting training dates here. I am meant to go travelling for some months in the middle of this year, is delaying my training possible at all?

Maybe. You can ask - and (for once) I'd suggest being proactive in this (usually I suggest people don't chase as it slows the whole process down).

Training dates are limited although run on a fairly rolling basis. Advising Recruitment of this means that you will both be in the best position if delaying isn't possible (as you can make plans/consider your options in good time) but also if it is means that the call-up list keeps flowing well, as they'll know. There are, of course, no guarantees of delaying the training and you may end up in a position of having to withdraw (or having the offer withdrawn).

Alternatively, you may get a training date soon - it seems to be a couple of months from offer being made to getting a date at the moment - and that may allow you to complete your training and then go travelling. Generally speaking pre-booked leave will be honoured once you've qualified, although if 'some months' is likely to exceed a year's annual leave accrual this is unlikely to be possible - Special Leave (Unpaid) or other arrangements are unlikely to be granted for a new start.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Hey guys, I received a conditional offer a little while ago and I noticed people have been getting training dates here. I am meant to go travelling for some months in the middle of this year, is delaying my training possible at all?
Depending where you are in the process, you can kind of gauge when you’re going to have training, however, it is best to let high volume know so they can give you suitable training dates.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

oh i hadn’t seen bluegoblin7’s reply, their advice is quite comprehensive lol
 
Last edited:

hass21ik

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2025
Messages
12
Location
London
Hello, I completed my SBI on the Dec 10th and I’m still waiting on a decision. I thought this might’ve been cuz of Christmas and New years but I’ve emailed them twice already (most recently on the 21st of Jan) and both times they’ve said they haven’t reached a decision yet. Is this normal?
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Hello, I completed my SBI on the Dec 10th and I’m still waiting on a decision. I thought this might’ve been cuz of Christmas and New years but I’ve emailed them twice already (most recently on the 21st of Jan) and both times they’ve said they haven’t reached a decision yet. Is this normal?
Hey,

I would call high volume to chase this up for sure. They say you should hear back within 14 working days.

You can also log into the job portal and check when they last look at your application.
 

jimmycconway

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2025
Messages
31
Location
London
Just seen this
Interesting...so just about half of the candidates currently on the waiting list will start by June. Obviously this will be subject to things like checks coming through and medicals being completed successfully.

The long wait continues, I guess!
 

Queenie

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2025
Messages
36
Location
London
Interesting...so just about half of the candidates currently on the waiting list will start by June. Obviously this will be subject to things like checks coming through and medicals being completed successfully.

The long wait continues, I guess!
Yeah it’s bittersweet. I count myself very lucky that I managed to get a training date within 5 months of offer
 

jimmycconway

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2025
Messages
31
Location
London
Yeah it’s bittersweet. I count myself very lucky that I managed to get a training date within 5 months of offer
Absolutely lucky, I agree with you there. Especially considering the potential full wait is two years. I got an offer in the winter, so I'm just going to patiently wait it out. To be honest, I'm more excited to learn what my station and cover area would be rather than my actual training date!
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Absolutely lucky, I agree with you there. Especially considering the potential full wait is two years. I got an offer in the winter, so I'm just going to patiently wait it out. To be honest, I'm more excited to learn what my station and cover area would be rather than my actual training date!
did you get your offer in december, if you don’t mind me asking?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

i done a follow up with high volume, was told my reed link will probably take longer than 2 weeks as I am 400 something down the queue
 
Last edited:

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
did you get your offer in december, if you don’t mind me asking?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

i done a follow up with high volume, was told my reed link will probably take longer than 2 weeks as I am 400 something down the queue
Hopefully it don’t take that long but I guess u won’t start until at least the summer since there is like 450 on a waitlist
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
Hopefully it don’t take that long but I guess u won’t start until at least the summer since there is like 450 on a waitlist
That FOI table of CSA courses has 247 places available up to 15th June. That's 54% of the waitlist at the time of publication.

Could someone 400+ on the list realistically expect December 2026 or early 2027?
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
That FOI table of CSA courses has 247 places available up to 15th June. That's 54% of the waitlist at the time of publication.

Could someone 400+ on the list realistically expect December 2026 or early 2027?
I reckon it will be
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
That FOI table of CSA courses has 247 places available up to 15th June. That's 54% of the waitlist at the time of publication.

Could someone 400+ on the list realistically expect December 2026 or early 2027?
I find it hard to get my head around, as someone who got job offered 3/4 after others who have now got their training dates.
I was expecting a late start but I really weren’t expecting beyond september.

I remain optimistic regardless. :D
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
I find it hard to get my head around, as someone who got job offered 3/4 after others who have now got their training dates.
I was expecting a late start but I really weren’t expecting beyond september.

I remain optimistic regardless. :D
'Business needs' trumps any list. So take everything said online with a pinch of salt.

I would just say - TfL should do a much better job of managing expectations when it comes to new entrants.
 

cid291

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2025
Messages
16
Location
Plaistow
Anyone else's reed portal waiting for checks to be returned?

Mine has been saying check sent for the nearly a month and a half. I contacted reed and they told me my application was in the final review stage but that was almost two weeks ago.
 

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
A couple of questions for those that have completed their 4 weeks training.

1) was the training Monday to Friday including the 1-2 weeks of station placement, or did the placement happen over the weekend?

2) after training did you start at the station you were allocated immediately or did you have a few days (weekend) before you started?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
 

T103

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
179
Location
London
A couple of questions for those that have completed their 4 weeks training.

1) was the training Monday to Friday including the 1-2 weeks of station placement, or did the placement happen over the weekend?

2) after training did you start at the station you were allocated immediately or did you have a few days (weekend) before you started?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Weeks 1&2- Are class room training, which is Monday to Friday.

Week 3- At your station Most likely this will start on Monday, allowing you to have the weekend off, but it depends on the station/coverage.

You do a week in your station, these are typically Monday to Friday but this all depends on your station and coverage.

Week 4- There are two options, but this is down to training.

You go back to training for ticket office/POMs or you stay at your station for more training.

Week 5- You are fully at your station(s)
 

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
Weeks 1&2- Are class room training, which is Monday to Friday.

Week 3- At your station Most likely this will start on Monday, allowing you to have the weekend off, but it depends on the station/coverage.

You do a week in your station, these are typically Monday to Friday but this all depends on your station and coverage.

Week 4- There are two options, but this is down to training.

You go back to training for ticket office/POMs or you stay at your station for more training.

Week 5- You are fully at your station(s)
Many thanks for your reply
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Weeks 1&2- Are class room training, which is Monday to Friday.

Week 3- At your station Most likely this will start on Monday, allowing you to have the weekend off, but it depends on the station/coverage.

You do a week in your station, these are typically Monday to Friday but this all depends on your station and coverage.

Week 4- There are two options, but this is down to training.

You go back to training for ticket office/POMs or you stay at your station for more training.

Week 5- You are fully at your station(s)
Worth saying that for the first 28 days you are well within your rights to challenge weekend working, especially if it’s sprung on you at short notice. There is a contractual right to 28 days for rest days, and whilst some managers like to believe this is optional during training it… isn’t.

Obviously thereafter you’re going into full roster mode - and some may not wish to raise their head above the parapet too early - but if you have plans on the weekend in your first few weeks there’s no reason you can’t take them.
 

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
Worth saying that for the first 28 days you are well within your rights to challenge weekend working, especially if it’s sprung on you at short notice. There is a contractual right to 28 days for rest days, and whilst some managers like to believe this is optional during training it… isn’t.

Obviously thereafter you’re going into full roster mode - and some may not wish to raise their head above the parapet too early - but if you have plans on the weekend in your first few weeks there’s no reason you can’t take them.
That's really good to know, thank you. This job will be my number one priority and friends and family have been warned that I will be turning invitations to events down if it doesn't fit in with my roster.

As you say, I don't think I want to start off on the wrong foot.

ATB
 

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
I find it hard to get my head around, as someone who got job offered 3/4 after others who have now got their training dates.
I was expecting a late start but I really weren’t expecting beyond september.

I remain optimistic regardless. :D
Tbh you never know when they will call you someone I know got the job 2 months before me and I started before them. Random day I got a call saying we need to fill a course up by next week are you interested. So it can come quicker than you think
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Can I take this opportunity to wish those awaiting further feedback regarding CSS jobs with LUL Best wishes in any position they get offered. I was a Station Supervisor for sixteen years at country, at class 2 and class 1 stations. It can be difficult at times but it is a very rewarding job.
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Tbh you never know when they will call you someone I know got the job 2 months before me and I started before them. Random day I got a call saying we need to fill a course up by next week are you interested. So it can come quicker than you think
this is why I’m optimistic! Thank you for letting me know!
 

aimee723

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2025
Messages
40
Location
Hoddesdon
I got a call. My training is middle of April. I got offered 2nd March but had to delay it for personal reasons.. so excited. Have u heard anything yet?
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
I got a call. My training is middle of April. I got offered 2nd March but had to delay it for personal reasons.. so excited. Have u heard anything yet?
When did u get your offer

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I got a call. My training is middle of April. I got offered 2nd March but had to delay it for personal reasons.. so excited. Have u heard anything yet?
Congratulations
 

Top