• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 / CSA2 - Recruitment and Discussion

SeMe

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
19
Location
London
I’ve recently passed my 6 month probation as a CSA2 and have nominated for my CSA1 role, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me
Congratulations! I have a question regarding the 6 months probation. Could you give more details what that period was like, was it just working normally or did you need to do weekly reviews with a manager or any other special tasks? Thanks!

you’re CSA2 officially until you finish probation and nominate yourself for a station

I also have a question regarding this, when you say nominate yourself for a station, does this mean you are able to pick a station you want to work at or is the station given to you randomly?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tanks88

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2024
Messages
90
Location
London
I’ve recently passed my 6 month probation as a CSA2 and have nominated for my CSA1 role, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


You are correct, CSAs are trained and licensed for CSA1 though, you’re CSA2 officially until you finish probation and nominate yourself for a station which then you become CSA1, if you don’t receive your nomination in a year then you’re given a CSA1 position at a station, as per the deal between RMT and LU

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


You get your CSID pin in a letter sent to your main station, took me nearly 2 weeks to access the pink screen and another week to receive my pin, one of your station CSMs should let you know when it arrives, iirc station mail is delivered on wed/thursdays
@eastldn12 Nice congratulations please share with us how was your experience through your probation? Was the rota easy or difficult to accommodate to your lifestyle ? Do you get enough rest to recover from busy shifts? What are the stress levels like at job ? Did you get to select your station? What perks should we look forward to
 

coffeetable

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2023
Messages
87
Location
LONDON
I applied for the Customer Service Assistant position in November and after doing experience with the London Underground during my internship with TfL for one year, I’m upset that I failed to succeed in getting this brilliant job last month, as I messed up with the scenario based interview even though I did well in the role play. :frown:

I’ve recently passed my 6 month probation as a CSA2 and have nominated for my CSA1 role, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


You are correct, CSAs are trained and licensed for CSA1 though, you’re CSA2 officially until you finish probation and nominate yourself for a station which then you become CSA1, if you don’t receive your nomination in a year then you’re given a CSA1 position at a station, as per the deal between RMT and LU

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


You get your CSID pin in a letter sent to your main station, took me nearly 2 weeks to access the pink screen and another week to receive my pin, one of your station CSMs should let you know when it arrives, iirc station mail is delivered on wed/thursdays
Thanks Eastlondon12, very clear explanation.
 

mzz101

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2024
Messages
20
Location
london
I’ve recently passed my 6 month probation as a CSA2 and have nominated for my CSA1 role, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


You are correct, CSAs are trained and licensed for CSA1 though, you’re CSA2 officially until you finish probation and nominate yourself for a station which then you become CSA1, if you don’t receive your nomination in a year then you’re given a CSA1 position at a station, as per the deal between RMT and LU

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


You get your CSID pin in a letter sent to your main station, took me nearly 2 weeks to access the pink screen and another week to receive my pin, one of your station CSMs should let you know when it arrives, iirc station mail is delivered on wed/thursdays
Is it easy to pass probation ? Are you allowed to take time off during probation ? Also after 6 months how long do you have to wait to become a csa1 ?
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
Congratulations! I have a question regarding the 6 months probation. Could you give more details what that period was like, was it just working normally or did you need to do weekly reviews with a manager or any other special tasks? Thanks!



I also have a question regarding this, when you say nominate yourself for a station, does this mean you are able to pick a station you want to work at or is the station given to you randomly?
You can pick the station you want to work as, most stations have a waiting list, a kinda queue system, but you could be moved to one of your nominations that had a longer queue than one that had a shorter queue, depends on how many people move in and out

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

@eastldn12 Nice congratulations please share with us how was your experience through your probation? Was the rota easy or difficult to accommodate to your lifestyle ? Do you get enough rest to recover from busy shifts? What are the stress levels like at job ? Did you get to select your station? What perks should we look forward to
Shift work is hard to get used to at first, every station has it own roster times, I like my current one, I typically do the early shift (5:30-13:30) and people tend to want to swap my lates for their earlies, thats pretty much how I've adjusted easier. You don't get to select your initial station, they try to find you one thats within an hour journey time but again its all down to what the business needs. I rest well enough most times, can be difficult readjusting after certain shifts. The best perks are definitely the pension and free travel, the health plans are great too as they cover you and your spouse (and i think dependents too)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is it easy to pass probation ? Are you allowed to take time off during probation ? Also after 6 months how long do you have to wait to become a csa1 ?
I've had some time off during my probation, you can negotiate some time off as annual leave if you have it available, otherwise it becomes an "item" which is something they look at during your review, but my management has been very supportive, its better to get sent home from work if you're ill for example than not turn up basically. but again thats my own findings, may differ from every station. You become CSA1 after you pass your 6month probation and have nominated a station, if you don't receive your nomination within 1 year they'll give you one at which you also become CSA1, some people have said they nominated a station with the least waiting time in order to become CSA1 asap.


Also something to note, if your station doesn't have CSA2 positions, you'll be put on a "variation sheet" in which you'll be paid "higher grade working" which is essentially means you'll be paid for doing the role of a CSA1 for that shift, but it's up to yourself to make sure you're on the variation sheet daily in order to be paid correctly for the role.
 
Last edited:

Random673

Member
Joined
16 May 2024
Messages
58
Location
London
You can pick the station you want to work as, most stations have a waiting list, a kinda queue system, but you could be moved to one of your nominations that had a longer queue than one that had a shorter queue, depends on how many people move in and out

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Shift work is hard to get used to at first, every station has it own roster times, I like my current one, I typically do the early shift (5:30-13:30) and people tend to want to swap my lates for their earlies, thats pretty much how I've adjusted easier. You don't get to select your initial station, they try to find you one thats within an hour journey time but again its all down to what the business needs. I rest well enough most times, can be difficult readjusting after certain shifts. The best perks are definitely the pension and free travel, the health plans are great too as they cover you and your spouse (and i think dependents too)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I've had some time off during my probation, you can negotiate some time off as annual leave if you have it available, otherwise it becomes an "item" which is something they look at during your review, but my management has been very supportive, its better to get sent home from work if you're ill for example than not turn up basically. but again thats my own findings, may differ from every station. You become CSA1 after you pass your 6month probation and have nominated a station, if you don't receive your nomination within 1 year they'll give you one at which you also become CSA1, some people have said they nominated a station with the least waiting time in order to become CSA1 asap.


Also something to note, if your station doesn't have CSA2 positions, you'll be put on a "variation sheet" in which you'll be paid "higher grade working" which is essentially means you'll be paid for doing the role of a CSA1 for that shift, but it's up to yourself to make sure you're on the variation sheet daily in order to be paid correctly for the role.
this is all very informative, thank you!

do we reckon the current cyber incident will be slowing down the recruitment process?
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
this is all very informative, thank you!

do we reckon the current cyber incident will be slowing down the recruitment process?
Yeah definitely, our normal internet has been shut down so we cant access vital sites and apps we usually use, I'm off today though so I'm not sure if it's back up yet, but I've not received any information to say it's been resolved.
 

Akeem20

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2023
Messages
60
Location
London
Yeah definitely, our normal internet has been shut down so we cant access vital sites and apps we usually use, I'm off today though so I'm not sure if it's back up yet, but I've not received any information to say it's been resolved.
What is overtime like not sure if you’ve done any but is it available? Also what is the monthly pay looking like after tax etc?
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
What is overtime like not sure if you’ve done any but is it available? Also what is the monthly pay looking like after tax etc?
OT is advertised to everyone usually, but the people in the station group get priority than out of group people, I typically do one or two 8 hour OT shifts a month, after tax I take home around 2.8k monthly. If i don't do OT I think its around 2.2-2.4k, I can't tell you for sure but I've never received anything less than 2.2k after tax except my first month during training, which is 80% of the wage, I think I took home 1.8k after tax the first month.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
I've had some time off during my probation, you can negotiate some time off as annual leave if you have it available, otherwise it becomes an "item" which is something they look at during your review, but my management has been very supportive, its better to get sent home from work if you're ill for example than not turn up basically. but again thats my own findings, may differ from every station.
This is not good advice to post on an open forum. All new starters are urged to read and digest the Attendance At Work policy as this always takes precedence over any ‘local arrangements’ which are exactly that. Being sent home and not coming in are treated in the same way and can still result in disciplinary proceedings.

You will be able to take some ‘odd’ leave during your probation, and you’ll almost certainly have at least one longer block allocated to you. If you have anything pre-booked inform your manager as soon as possible.

If you do need to take time off for other reasons (sickness, bereavement, the list is endless) speak to your manager in the first instance if it’s foreseeable, or follow the AAW policy if it’s unforeseen. One sickness absence/“item” in your probation is unlikely to have any negative affect, but if you’re off work regularly then you can at minimum expect your probation to be extended.

As ever, anything I write on this forum does not constitute formal advice from a TU rep, but my TU rep experience certainly informs what I post. ;)
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
This is not good advice to post on an open forum. All new starters are urged to read and digest the Attendance At Work policy as this always takes precedence over any ‘local arrangements’ which are exactly that. Being sent home and not coming in are treated in the same way and can still result in disciplinary proceedings.

You will be able to take some ‘odd’ leave during your probation, and you’ll almost certainly have at least one longer block allocated to you. If you have anything pre-booked inform your manager as soon as possible.

If you do need to take time off for other reasons (sickness, bereavement, the list is endless) speak to your manager in the first instance if it’s foreseeable, or follow the AAW policy if it’s unforeseen. One sickness absence/“item” in your probation is unlikely to have any negative affect, but if you’re off work regularly then you can at minimum expect your probation to be extended.

As ever, anything I write on this forum does not constitute formal advice from a TU rep, but my TU rep experience certainly informs what I post. ;)
I tried to make it clear, what I posted was purely anecdotal not official, sorry for any confusion.
 

tanks88

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2024
Messages
90
Location
London
You can pick the station you want to work as, most stations have a waiting list, a kinda queue system, but you could be moved to one of your nominations that had a longer queue than one that had a shorter queue, depends on how many people move in and out

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Shift work is hard to get used to at first, every station has it own roster times, I like my current one, I typically do the early shift (5:30-13:30) and people tend to want to swap my lates for their earlies, thats pretty much how I've adjusted easier. You don't get to select your initial station, they try to find you one thats within an hour journey time but again its all down to what the business needs. I rest well enough most times, can be difficult readjusting after certain shifts. The best perks are definitely the pension and free travel, the health plans are great too as they cover you and your spouse (and i think dependents too)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I've had some time off during my probation, you can negotiate some time off as annual leave if you have it available, otherwise it becomes an "item" which is something they look at during your review, but my management has been very supportive, its better to get sent home from work if you're ill for example than not turn up basically. but again thats my own findings, may differ from every station. You become CSA1 after you pass your 6month probation and have nominated a station, if you don't receive your nomination within 1 year they'll give you one at which you also become CSA1, some people have said they nominated a station with the least waiting time in order to become CSA1 asap.


Also something to note, if your station doesn't have CSA2 positions, you'll be put on a "variation sheet" in which you'll be paid "higher grade working" which is essentially means you'll be paid for doing the role of a CSA1 for that shift, but it's up to yourself to make sure you're on the variation sheet daily in order to be paid correctly for the role.
This is very informative. Really appreciate you taking out time to share the experience :)

I have two follow up questions
1) wouldn't getting paid for "higher grade working" a good thing?
2) how does one find out which station has least waiting time ?

The perks you mentioned specially Health plans are definitely something that we need to look forward too : ) thank you !!!
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
This is very informative. Really appreciate you taking out time to share the experience :)

I have two follow up questions
1) wouldn't getting paid for "higher grade working" a good thing?
2) how does one find out which station has least waiting time ?

The perks you mentioned specially Health plans are definitely something that we need to look forward too : ) thank you !!!
Yeah it's a good thing,

Once you passsed probation, you're able to view the station nomination lists and nominate, there's no set waiting time, if you nominate for a smaller queue and a bigger queue, you still might end up at the bigger queue station, so choose wisely.
 

tanks88

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2024
Messages
90
Location
London
Yeah it's a good thing,

Once you passsed probation, you're able to view the station nomination lists and nominate, there's no set waiting time, if you nominate for a smaller queue and a bigger queue, you still might end up at the bigger queue station, so choose wisely.
Nice. Thank you!!!
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
The perks you mentioned specially Health plans are definitely something that we need to look forward too : ) thank you !!!
Worth noting that the 'health plans' are for an additional monthly fee. I'm not sure what the current ones offered are, but they're not going to be worthwhile for everyone. Worth reading the T&Cs etc. before plumping.

Once you passsed probation, you're able to view the station nomination lists and nominate, there's no set waiting time, if you nominate for a smaller queue and a bigger queue, you still might end up at the bigger queue station, so choose wisely.
Chatting to longer serving staff will help to get an idea for how long generally waiting lists can be too. There's a lot of variables at play with when people get called up, and it also isn't as straightforward as if you're 5th on the list you'll be the fifth to be called up, etc. New starters really shouldn't get caught up in a lot of these machinations as they can be quite hard to comprehend 'from the outside', and a lot can change in your six months of probation. I think the position can be summarised with 'popular stations can take years to get to, unpopular stations can take days'.
 

Akeem20

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2023
Messages
60
Location
London
OT is advertised to everyone usually, but the people in the station group get priority than out of group people, I typically do one or two 8 hour OT shifts a month, after tax I take home around 2.8k monthly. If i don't do OT I think its around 2.2-2.4k, I can't tell you for sure but I've never received anything less than 2.2k after tax except my first month during training, which is 80% of the wage, I think I took home 1.8k after tax the first month.
Perfect thanks my man
 

vicline

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2024
Messages
45
Location
London
Just coming on here to say I've passed both my role play and SBI and have been offered a position! Thank you everyone who has helped and all forum members who have contributed to this thread. Now we play the waiting game... Anyone else been offered a role in August? Let's wait together

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

* a role in September... my bad lool
 

tanks88

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2024
Messages
90
Location
London
Just coming on here to say I've passed both my role play and SBI and have been offered a position! Thank you everyone who has helped and all forum members who have contributed to this thread. Now we play the waiting game... Anyone else been offered a role in August? Let's wait together

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

* a role in September... my bad lool
Congratulations!!!!
 

tanks88

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2024
Messages
90
Location
London
Worth noting that the 'health plans' are for an additional monthly fee. I'm not sure what the current ones offered are, but they're not going to be worthwhile for everyone. Worth reading the T&Cs etc. before plumping.
For sure . Will do . Thanks !
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
Worth noting that the 'health plans' are for an additional monthly fee. I'm not sure what the current ones offered are, but they're not going to be worthwhile for everyone. Worth reading the T&Cs etc. before plumping.


Chatting to longer serving staff will help to get an idea for how long generally waiting lists can be too. There's a lot of variables at play with when people get called up, and it also isn't as straightforward as if you're 5th on the list you'll be the fifth to be called up, etc. New starters really shouldn't get caught up in a lot of these machinations as they can be quite hard to comprehend 'from the outside', and a lot can change in your six months of probation. I think the position can be summarised with 'popular stations can take years to get to, unpopular stations can take days'.
I have a colleague who's been on the list for Bank and Willesden Green for 5 years aha, the queue for them two are crazy long, I wonder why theyre so sought after, Bank has horrible roster times, Willesden green is nice though its basically a retirement station aha
 

SeMe

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
19
Location
London
Thanks guys for the information. Regarding the waiting lists for stations would a station like Stratford Station, Maryland station and Forest Gate station have a long waiting list?
 

coffeetable

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2023
Messages
87
Location
LONDON
Thanks guys for the information. Regarding the waiting lists for stations would a station like Stratford Station, Maryland station and Forest Gate station have a long waiting list?
If you are an LU staff, you cannot nominate yourself at Maryland or Forest Gate stations as they belong to Elizabeth line MTR.
 

asn.15_

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2023
Messages
90
Location
London
My reed checks have now been completed, took ages and medical check done, so hopefully will get a start date soon.
Same, checks completed on Wednesday. Medical done, so we should hopefully hear back in regards to a training date soon!
 

SeMe

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
19
Location
London
I had a call today saying that they have to reschedule my medical appointment as the occupational health place won’t be able to do it at that time. Is this due to the cyber attack?
 

eastldn12

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
57
Location
London
I had a call today saying that they have to reschedule my medical appointment as the occupational health place won’t be able to do it at that time. Is this due to the cyber attack?
Yeah probably, it’s messed everything up tbh
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
I had a call today saying that they have to reschedule my medical appointment as the occupational health place won’t be able to do it at that time. Is this due to the cyber attack?
Correct. OH is one of the services specifically mentioned in internal communications as being affected. They have a limited ability to view and book appointments, so I presume they are prioritising existing staff members.
 

T103

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
179
Location
London
Correct. OH is one of the services specifically mentioned in internal communications as being affected. They have a limited ability to view and book appointments, so I presume they are prioritising existing staff members.
So guessing if you had an OH appt recently then there maybe a delay in those results be sent to the onboarding team and could delay in the training details being sent?
 

m4marof

New Member
Joined
12 Jul 2024
Messages
4
Location
London
Hi all. Tried to search through this forum but having no luck with the REED application (will contact TfL soon). Setup my government gateway ID but the links provided to me to setup my account do not work at all (is it because its a Saturday?). The following error message keeps popping up:


You cannot access the service from this page​

To access this service, you must return to the government page you came from and start again.

You can also start again from the GOV.UK home page.

You might need your Government Gateway user ID and password.

Make sure your web browser can accept cookies.



I need to send everything by Monday but was wondering if anyone else is having issues with starting the REED process as well?
My role is CSA1 Night Tube.
 

Top