• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Travelcards and Railcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,893
I've got YP discount applied on my Oyster which caps in Z1-4 at £3.80 off peak compared to £5.80 as standard. Is it possible to get to get YP put on a one day Travelcard? I want to do some rail journeys which don't appear under PAYG Oyster. The TfL fares guide says its possible:
National Rail Railcards
Holders of some National Rail Railcards can
get discount Off-Peak daily price capping and
Day Travelcards.

Anyone any idea how I can do it and how much its likely to be? I'm not sure if Tube ticket offices would be able to do it or would I be able to do it at a normal rail station? I can get Advantix Traveller and NXEC booking engine to sell me London Terminals to Zone R1234 which it is happy to do for £5. Is this right or is there an easier way to do it? Or am I getting the wrong price altogether?

Help?!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Thats correct, £5 for anything up to zones r1256. All staffed BR booking offices should be able to sell you the ticket, Hull Paragon managed it with ease a couple of weeks ago, or as you say you can order on the NXEC website.
A year or two back I managed to get a zone 1-D YP discounted travelcard from a LUL booking office, so I presume that zones 1-6 can be done as well.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
Is it possible to get to get YP put on a one day Travelcard?

You can get YP discount on a paper one day travelcard, subject to a minimum fare of £5.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/what-is-a-16-25-railcard/minimum-fares has not been updated and still says the minimum is £4.80, which was correct until January 2009.

I can get Advantix Traveller and NXEC booking engine to sell me London Terminals to Zone R1234 which it is happy to do for £5. Is this right or is there an easier way to do it? Or am I getting the wrong price altogether?

This is right, but you can also get Zones 1-6 for the same price of £5.

John
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A year or two back I managed to get a zone 1-D YP discounted travelcard from a LUL booking office, so I presume that zones 1-6 can be done as well.

A few years ago, the Railcard discounted Zones 1-D (now Zones 1-9) Off-Peak Travelcard price did not exceed the £4.80 minimum, so Railcard discounted Travelcards bought at tube stations only were issued as Zones 1-D.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downlo...d-tickets-Zones-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf shows that the Zones 1-9 price is now £9, so I would expect the YP discounted price to be £5.95.

John
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
A Y-P paper ticket is just a reduced rate travelcard with Young Persons as a reason

IIRC you can get 1-6 and 1-W
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,893
Sounds easy enough then, I'll Z1-6 sounds like a bit of a bargain then for a fiver. Cheers guys
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to update, Huddersfield 'couldn't' issue one but Nottingham issued it in around 3 seconds, spot on. Probably the happiest part of the East Midlands Trains experience so far, the on board service is a whole other issue I wouldn't even go to right now.
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
If you have problems in future, I believe London terminals (or any station in the zones) to zone R1256 zones should do the trick.
Incidentally, is it possible to get a BR ticket office to issue a travelcard with a LUL station as an origin. I know it makes no difference to the validity, but it would make a good souveneir. The LUL stations are listed in Avantix.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top