• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Travelcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Can you buy a London Travelcard at Edinburgh Waverley? A Zones 1/2 would probably be enough. If so what are the origin & destination codes for the clerk(ess) to put in his/her machine?

My friends already hold tickets to London from Edinburgh.

Cheers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
No railcard? A discounted All Zones would be cheaper otherwise.

0032 for Zones 1-2
0035 for Zones 1-6

Origin just needs to be anything within the zones, eg.

6121 King's Cross
1555 St Pancras
6965 Liverpool St, etc
 

north

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2009
Messages
104
No railcard? A discounted All Zones would be cheaper otherwise.

0032 for Zones 1-2
0035 for Zones 1-6

Origin just needs to be anything within the zones, eg.

6121 King's Cross
1555 St Pancras
6965 Liverpool St, etc

Agreed. Issued as a standard NR ticket.

Zones 1-2 non-railcard £8.00 peak (ADT) £6.60 off-peak - at or after 0930 (ODT).

Zones 1-6 non-railcard £15.00 peak (ADT) £8.00 off-peak.

Zones 1-6 railcard discount £5.30 off peak. This is the minimum price with a railcard - so a 1-2 is no cheaper. I can see no discounted peak ticket in Avantix. Other railcard minimums would override this - eg YNG £12 before 10am etc...

As an aside I nearly always receive in-boundary travelcards with an origin of London Terminals (1072) rather than a specific station - although I'm pretty sure it make no difference whatsoever as long as you pick a station within the zones you want.
 
Last edited:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Thanks for that. As an aside:-

If you get a Zone 1/2 but later on decide to travel to other zones can you extend/excess or does a new ticket need to be bought?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Not sure that you can excess travelcards, given that it is a TfL product rather than a TOC product. However as others say, it is a lottery, and you might be lucky enough to find someone willing to do it.

You definitely can buy a Zone 2-3 single, eg., in order to cover your travel outside the validity of your travelcard, however the high price of cash fares makes it useless.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks for that. As an aside:-

If you get a Zone 1/2 but later on decide to travel to other zones can you extend/excess or does a new ticket need to be bought?
A ticket issued from "Boundary Zone X" (Where X is the relevant zone for your travelcard) is the equivalent of an excess, and this can be more useful than a ticket from a named station as it may be cheaper, it allows non-stop trains, and may allow multiple routeings.

In some cases the fare may be the same and there may be only one possible route with all-stopper trains in which case a ticket from a named station would have the same effect.
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
If you get a Zone 1/2 but later on decide to travel to other zones can you extend/excess or does a new ticket need to be bought?


Or boundary zone extension tickets can be added on if you're making a return trip to a NR station outside zone 1/2 ?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Yes I agree that Boundary Zone single/returns can be done, however I understood the OP as wanting to excess a Zone 1-2 travelcard into a Zone 1-4 travelcard, for example.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Yes I agree that Boundary Zone single/returns can be done, however I understood the OP as wanting to excess a Zone 1-2 travelcard into a Zone 1-4 travelcard, for example.

Which of course is exactly what an Oyster would do. If you had capped at the zone 1-2 rate and suddenly ventured into zone 3 it would just deduct another 70p.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Which of course is exactly what an Oyster would do. If you had capped at the zone 1-2 rate and suddenly ventured into zone 3 it would just deduct another 70p.

But without Oyster? Is there anyway it can be done? At least I'm not aware of it if there was any.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
But without Oyster? Is there anyway it can be done? At least I'm not aware of it if there was any.
There's no reason physically why it can't be exchanged and the difference paid, but I suspect the railways archaic rules and ludicrous restrictions that not even many staff understand, probably mean that red tape will win and it won't be done... :roll: The railway is unlike any other service industry in being about as anti-customer as it possibly can :( But if any PRIVs are held, that would increase the chances.... but ticket office staff are a lottery.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,306
...given that it is a TfL product rather than a TOC product.

[Travelcards]

Not strictly correct. If you go back a couple of years, at one of Ken Livingstone's annual fare rise announcements he explained that he couldn't freeze the Travelcard prices because they were set jointly by TfL and ATOC, and 'the railway' required a rise of RPI + 1% that January.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Well now back from that London. The travelcard worked well for my mates on the Saturday as they made quite a few trips on the underground. They even got the tube from Kings Cross to Russell Square which I just walked - and I beat them!

On the Sunday, however, we only made one return trip KGX - Finsbury Park on an FCC service - my mates again got a travelcard at £6.60 because the return fare shown on the TVM at KGX showed £8.00 - academic now I know but was there a cheaper way of making that journey?

As an aside I reckon I only spent about £4 over two days with a combination of Oyster, Priv where appropriate, & walking.
 

Smethwickian

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
742
Location
Errr, Smethwick!
I guess some people don't like the hassle of returning the [Oyster] card after the journey.

Return it? Why bother for the sake of a couple of quid?

They last forever and can quickly be topped up on the next visit, whether it's in a week, a month or a year's time, by anyone in the family who might be able to make use of it. Or put a pay-as-you-go auto top-up on it and you don't even have to worry about whether there's credit before you set out.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
On the Sunday, however, we only made one return trip KGX - Finsbury Park on an FCC service - my mates again got a travelcard at £6.60 because the return fare shown on the TVM at KGX showed £8.00 - academic now I know but was there a cheaper way of making that journey?

Only by using Oyster. £1.90 each way. If you bought the Oyster card at a vending machine which still only takes £3 for the deposit you'd have beaten the cash return price (though not quite the travelcard) even without returning the card!
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
On the Sunday, however, we only made one return trip KGX - Finsbury Park on an FCC service - my mates again got a travelcard at £6.60 because the return fare shown on the TVM at KGX showed £8.00 - academic now I know but was there a cheaper way of making that journey?

Yes, Oyster PAYG at £1.90 each way :)
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
we only made one return trip KGX - Finsbury Park on an FCC service - my mates again got a travelcard at £6.60 because the return fare shown on the TVM at KGX showed £8.00 - academic now I know but was there a cheaper way of making that journey?

If you don't want to use Oyster, an Anytime Day Return (SDR) London Terminals - Harringay or Hornsey each costs £5.80 and allows break of either or both legs at Finsbury Park.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Return it? Why bother for the sake of a couple of quid?

They last forever and can quickly be topped up on the next visit, whether it's in a week, a month or a year's time, by anyone in the family who might be able to make use of it. Or put a pay-as-you-go auto top-up on it and you don't even have to worry about whether there's credit before you set out.

Not everyone's as London-centric as some of us are though. Some people might not like the idea of the card going missing the next time they come anywhere near London.
 

Smethwickian

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
742
Location
Errr, Smethwick!
Not everyone's as London-centric as some of us are though.

Just to clarify, I live and work in the West Midlands (as the monicker suggests) and visit London purely for leisure/tourist-type purposes - I have no vested interest in bigging up the capital and have an equal or greater affection for many other parts of the UK, urban and rural.

But whether those London visits vary from a couple of times a year to half a dozen or more, I wouldn't be without an Oyster.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Just to clarify, I live and work in the West Midlands (as the monicker suggests) and visit London purely for leisure/tourist-type purposes - I have no vested interest in bigging up the capital and have an equal or greater affection for many other parts of the UK, urban and rural.

But whether those London visits vary from a couple of times a year to half a dozen or more, I wouldn't be without an Oyster.

Neither would I, or many others I know, however there are equally some people I know that travel at least 5/6 times a year to London and still refuse to have an Oyster. They are not very well organised and lose stuff way too often. I think that explains my point :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In hindsight, that was probably a bad word. How about pro-Oyster? Well, doesn't seem to have the same rhyme to it ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top