• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamsson

New Member
Joined
11 Sep 2018
Messages
2
  • I am travelling from Didcot Parkway to London Paddington and returning the same day with tube travel in London
  • Travelling on Wednesday 12th September 2018
  • Off-peak travel (planning on taking the 10:48 and returning that evening)
  • No railcard
  • Happy to consider cheaper options if possible
Basically, I am travelling into London tomorrow for a short meeting at Paddington at noon and then have another event in the evening. Obviously I can arrange to hang around in London until the evening but given that I normally purchase an 'off-peak Day travelcard' which advertises unlimited travel, can I do the following:
- Get the 10:48 from DID to PAD
- Get a train (probably the 13:26 back to Didcot Parkway from PAD
- Get the 17:19 from DID back to PAD (I would want to arrive back into London Paddington @ 6pm)
- tube travel in london
- Get an evening train (probably the the last train back) that night from PAD to DID again

Is this possible on one travelcard ticket or would I need to buy an off peak return for the first journey then an offpeak travelcard for the second journey with tube travel?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
As you are returning to Didcot then your ticket in effect becomes used as its valid for one journey to and from London and the TC part in the middle ( though some may say that the TC is still valid but im not one to agree on that)

Do you not have a contactless card you can use whilst in london as this will cap and will be easier with you just getting the 2 returns you will need for getting to/from Didcot
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
  • I am travelling from Didcot Parkway to London Paddington and returning the same day with tube travel in London
  • Travelling on Wednesday 12th September 2018
  • Off-peak travel (planning on taking the 10:48 and returning that evening)
  • No railcard
  • Happy to consider cheaper options if possible
Basically, I am travelling into London tomorrow for a short meeting at Paddington at noon and then have another event in the evening. Obviously I can arrange to hang around in London until the evening but given that I normally purchase an 'off-peak Day travelcard' which advertises unlimited travel, can I do the following:
- Get the 10:48 from DID to PAD
- Get a train (probably the 13:26 back to Didcot Parkway from PAD
- Get the 17:19 from DID back to PAD (I would want to arrive back into London Paddington @ 6pm)
- tube travel in london
- Get an evening train (probably the the last train back) that night from PAD to DID again

Is this possible on one travelcard ticket or would I need to buy an off peak return for the first journey then an offpeak travelcard for the second journey with tube travel?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!

You will need another off peak return as well, as the unlimited travel is only within Zones 1-6.
However when you return to Didcot, you could just get a return from Boundary Zone 6, instead of Paddington which would work out cheaper.
 

Williamsson

New Member
Joined
11 Sep 2018
Messages
2
Thanks Cactustwirly, I suspected as much. Appreciate the quick response, have a great day!
 

Nippy

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
740
I don't know if the gates at Didcot would retain your Travelcard when you got back? Maybe others know?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I don't know if the gates at Didcot would retain your Travelcard when you got back? Maybe others know?

Quite possibly. Just asknto be let through manually.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,815
I don't know if the gates at Didcot would retain your Travelcard when you got back? Maybe others know?
Quite possibly. Just asknto be let through manually.
When returning to Didcot the first time (and leaving the second time) the relevant ticket for the Didcot barriers is the return from Boundary Zone 6 to Didcot. The Travelcard, if being used again, should definitely not be offered to the barrier or the barrier staff!
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
When returning to Didcot the first time (and leaving the second time) the relevant ticket for the Didcot barriers is the return from Boundary Zone 6 to Didcot. The Travelcard, if being used again, should definitely not be offered to the barrier or the barrier staff!

I can imagine it being a struggle at a ticket office to buy a BZ6 to Didcot return ticket when in possession of a outboundary Day Travelcard from Didcot... a ticket machine that offers BZ fares might be easier!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Maybe purchase it from a TVM at Paddington although i’m Not 100% sure if they have tickets from another station enabled.
 

bkhtele

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2009
Messages
547
Location
Swindon
Didcot to west Drayton off
Peak return would also be valid. You might have difficulty with train staff though. Perfectly valid in my opinion under the new national conditions of travel.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
Didcot to west Drayton off
Peak return would also be valid. You might have difficulty with train staff though. Perfectly valid in my opinion under the new national conditions of travel.
You’d be using it the wrong direction though. You’d need West Drayton to Didcot.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,027
Ops my mistake! sorry. Thanks for the correction
There isn't any benefit, but I think your original suggestion could actually work:
Journey 1: use West Drayton outward half at Didcot barriers, use Travelcard at PAD
Journey 2: use Travelcard at PAD, use West Drayton return half at Didcot (will be retained)
Journeys 3 & 4: use Travelcard as normal

I've used out-boundary travelcards in situations where I've started the day in London, spent the day there, and travelled home in the afternoon, and found it cheaper to buy an out-boundary travelcard than a six-zones and a separate single home. I didn't ever have a problem using the card in the zones without having made the inward journey first.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,815
There isn't any benefit, but I think your original suggestion could actually work:
Journey 1: use West Drayton outward half at Didcot barriers, use Travelcard at PAD
Journey 2: use Travelcard at PAD, use West Drayton return half at Didcot (will be retained)
Journeys 3 & 4: use Travelcard as normal

I've used out-boundary travelcards in situations where I've started the day in London, spent the day there, and travelled home in the afternoon, and found it cheaper to buy an out-boundary travelcard than a six-zones and a separate single home. I didn't ever have a problem using the card in the zones without having made the inward journey first.
Your experience does not include the risk of the Travelcard being seen before the inward journey has been completed and I would therefore urge the OP not to follow your suggestion.
 

bkhtele

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2009
Messages
547
Location
Swindon
For two return journeys on the same day to Paddington + tube:
Would a paper 1-6 travel card plus two Didcot to West Drayton off peak day returns be valid under the current national conditions of carriage?
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,027
Your experience does not include the risk of the Travelcard being seen before the inward journey has been completed and I would therefore urge the OP not to follow your suggestion.
Since the OP was intending to make his trip yesterday, it was more a theoretical point than a suggestion. I don't think there's anything illicit in my combination, but I agree it might provoke awkward questions and possibly be difficult to prove you weren't doing something fraudulent.
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Are you allowed to use an outboundary travelcard as a travelcard before the outward journey portion? (Never mind how enforceable it is, I'm curious as to whether or not you're actually allowed to).
 

SAPhil

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
305
Are you allowed to use an outboundary travelcard as a travelcard before the outward journey portion? (Never mind how enforceable it is, I'm curious as to whether or not you're actually allowed to).
I'd like to know the answer to this and a similar question. Are you allowed to use an outboundary travelcard as a travelcard without ever making the outward journey?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
I'd like to know the answer to this and a similar question. Are you allowed to use an outboundary travelcard as a travelcard without ever making the outward journey?
No reason why not. The problem being pointed out earlier is specifically using the return direction journey before attempting to use the outward. Different case entirely.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Are you allowed to use an outboundary travelcard as a travelcard before the outward journey portion? (Never mind how enforceable it is, I'm curious as to whether or not you're actually allowed to).
I really don't see any reason why not.
 

alastair

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2010
Messages
484
Location
S Devon
If you do this journey even only rarely it will be worth you buying a Network Railcard https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/. This will give you 34% off your fare anywhere in London and South East (including Didcot). It is only valid after 10am Mon-Fri (anytime weekends/BH). There is also a minimum fare of £13 Mon-Fri. Up to 3 people travelling with you also get the discount. The card costs £30 but should pay for itself in 2 or 3 trips and is valid a year.
 

bkhtele

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2009
Messages
547
Location
Swindon
Or you might want the Thames 3 (consecutive) days rover:
£50.80 (equivalent to £16.95 a day).
Or with a network card: £33.50 (£11.17 a day)
Valid from Didcot off peak.

Can be purchased from FGW web site.
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,416
There isn't any benefit, but I think your original suggestion could actually work:
Journey 1: use West Drayton outward half at Didcot barriers, use Travelcard at PAD
Journey 2: use Travelcard at PAD, use West Drayton return half at Didcot (will be retained)
Journeys 3 & 4: use Travelcard as normal

I've used out-boundary travelcards in situations where I've started the day in London, spent the day there, and travelled home in the afternoon, and found it cheaper to buy an out-boundary travelcard than a six-zones and a separate single home. I didn't ever have a problem using the card in the zones without having made the inward journey first.
Journey 3 would not be allowed as the Travelcard part has already been used. You can't do an outward journey AFTER you have used the Travelcard element.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
So journey 1 use Travelcard to travel to London
Journey 2 use Tc and outward BZ6 portion
Journey 3 use return portion of BZ6 and Tc
Journey 4 use Travel card back to Didcot
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top