• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Travelcard Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

46026

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2015
Messages
59
Location
Devon
Good morning to you all, yesterday at a GWR ticket office I wanted to purchase 3 off-peak zones 1-6 London travelcards for a trip on Monday (tomorrow). He told me I could get a group save discount as 3 of us travelling, I told him I never knew you could get this on a travelcard, he told me its available, he sold them to me, just as I got outside I noticed on the top it says group 10+, I went back in to the same person and told him of my concerns of the wording 10+, he told me it still covers 3 people and I would be ok. I've had a day thinking of it and am a little worried that when we get to Paddington tomorrow and go down to the Elizabeth Line it will become a problem.
Can someone please advise if these tickets are correct or not, many thanks. Picture of tickets attached.
 

Attachments

  • 20260207_125958.jpg
    20260207_125958.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 165
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,473
Location
London
In-boundary Travelcards (i.e. those that don't have any validity outside Zones 1-9) don't attract a GroupSave discount.

What you've been sold, as printed on them, is a Travelcard for groups of 10 or more. They'll work gates exactly the same as normal Travelcards. It's only likely to be an issue if there's a manual ticket inspection.
 

CarrotPie

On Moderation
Joined
18 Mar 2021
Messages
1,128
Location
‎
The Groupsave Terms & Conditions state (my bold):
1. A Group of three to nine customers travelling together may be eligible for the GroupSave discount on selected journeys on National Rail
2. The GroupSave discount is 1/3 off the price of Adult single or return Tickets, and London Travelcards with an origin station outside of the London Zonal Area.
8. Only Tickets with a ‘cross-London’ marker (†), or a London Travelcard from outside the London Zonal Area, may be used on London Underground and DLR services
Edit: I've been beaten to it...again :D
 

46026

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2015
Messages
59
Location
Devon
Thank you so much for the replies, my suspicions were right, I will try and get them changed today or buy new ones in the morning and sort these out on Tuesday.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
Why not buy outboundary Travelcards from, say, Potters Bar in order to get the Groupsave discount - £37.65 for 3 people.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,473
Location
London
Why not buy outboundary Travelcards from, say, Potters Bar in order to get the Groupsave discount - £37.65 for 3 people.
BRFares suggests GroupSave is available with Travelcards from Amersham, which would be £35.40 for three.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,378
An off-peak 1-6 day travelcard is £16.60. £11 is a standard 33% off. Valid from 0930.

An anytime day 1-6 travelcard is £23.60.
 
Last edited:

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,723
Location
Slade Green
Seeing as you've posted online in such a way as to create a paper trail proving you're aware these tickets are not valid for a group of 3, I concur you should try to get them changed for three outboundary Travelcards from somewhere like Amersham or Brentwood, with a GroupSave discount.

Were it not for the existence of this thread I would say the tickets you have been sold must be valid. If a ticket office sells a ticket, it has to be valid. There might be route or time restrictions on when it is valid, and you might have to carry another ticket or Railcard to make it valid (which the ticket office should have checked at time of purchase), but I struggle to see, contractually, how a set of tickets could be flat-out invalid and totally useless if an accredited retailer such as a ticket office sold it to you.

Not much difference in price anyway - just the extra cost of a bit of unwanted validity outside Z1-6 in order to trigger the entitlement to the GroupSave discount.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot from 2026-02-08 15-13-30.png
    Screenshot from 2026-02-08 15-13-30.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 35

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,473
Location
London
Were it not for the existence of this thread I would say the tickets you have been sold must be valid. If a ticket office sells a ticket, it has to be valid. There might be route or time restrictions on when it is valid, and you might have to carry another ticket or Railcard to make it valid (which the ticket office should have checked at time of purchase), but I struggle to see, contractually, how a set of tickets could be flat-out invalid and totally useless if an accredited retailer such as a ticket office sold it to you.
If it wasn't for the fact that the tickets have "Off-Peak Day Travelcard Group 10+" printed at the top, there'd be a stronger argument to say they should be treated as valid.

It's an obvious issuing error, however, which ideally should have been queried at the point of purchase. (It being easier to correct such mistakes at that point, given they can just be non-issued rather than having to go through the full refund process.)
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,850
Location
Epsom
It's an obvious issuing error, however, which ideally should have been queried at the point of purchase. (It being easier to correct such mistakes at that point, given they can just be non-issued rather than having to go through the full refund process.)
The OP says he did query it and the clerk insisted it was correct and valid!
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,723
Location
Slade Green
If it wasn't for the fact that the tickets have "Off-Peak Day Travelcard Group 10+" printed at the top, there'd be a stronger argument to say they should be treated as valid.

It's an obvious issuing error, however, which ideally should have been queried at the point of purchase. (It being easier to correct such mistakes at that point, given they can just be non-issued rather than having to go through the full refund process.)
By whom? The trained railway staff or the untrained customer?

You and I know that 10+ refers to the group size. The customer is neither required to notice that the ticket says that, nor know what it refers to.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
An off-peak 1-6 day travelcard is £16.60. £11 is a standard 33% off. Valid from 0930.

An anytime day 1-6 travelcard is £23.60.

What equivalent ticket costs £37.20?
Apologies. I was effectively combining 2 threads in my head where a previous poster was enquiring about tickets from Reading.

I'll delete my misleading piece of nonsense
 

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
977
Location
UK
This is the first I've seen a Travelcard with an Aztec code. Can you scan the Aztec code at the ticket barrier instead of inserting into the barrier?
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,723
Location
Slade Green
This is the first I've seen a Travelcard with an Aztec code. Can you scan the Aztec code at the ticket barrier instead of inserting into the barrier?
Definitely not at London Underground or Elizabeth Line stations, no; as the barriers have no barcode readers. Nor do London Buses. Some National Rail barriers might or might not be able to scan them, I'm not sure.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,712
Location
Burgess Hill
TTK (the on-board inspection app used by many TOCs) will scan the barcodes, but the barcode type is marked as no longer accredited and isn't to be used in the future. I don't think they scan on other inspection devices, but I'm happy to be corrected.

These barcodes have never worked on a gateline as there is simply not enough room to include data to act as a security element to the barcode. For CCSTs, the paper stock acts as the security element, so allowing the barcode to be scanned could allow anyone to just create a barcode on their phone and scan it without the paper stock security aspect.

The barcode is not used by most TOCs. GWR will still print it, and I think Avanti might at ticket offices too? I don't know if LNER still do, but I think they did in the past.
 

jon81uk

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2022
Messages
1,109
Location
Harlow, Essex
By whom? The trained railway staff or the untrained customer?
The OP stated the same person they bought the tickets from also told them it is valid, see bolded sections of their original post, the OP raised the concerns and a member of railway staff stated they would be OK.
I told him I never knew you could get this on a travelcard, he told me its available, he sold them to me, just as I got outside I noticed on the top it says group 10+, I went back in to the same person and told him of my concerns of the wording 10+, he told me it still covers 3 people and I would be ok.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
TTK (the on-board inspection app used by many TOCs) will scan the barcodes, but the barcode type is marked as no longer accredited and isn't to be used in the future. I don't think they scan on other inspection devices, but I'm happy to be corrected.

These barcodes have never worked on a gateline as there is simply not enough room to include data to act as a security element to the barcode. For CCSTs, the paper stock acts as the security element, so allowing the barcode to be scanned could allow anyone to just create a barcode on their phone and scan it without the paper stock security aspect.

The barcode is not used by most TOCs. GWR will still print it, and I think Avanti might at ticket offices too? I don't know if LNER still do, but I think they did in the past.
No LNER stopped about 5 years back although posted CCST still include it ( LNER posts printed eTickets where available)
 

46026

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2015
Messages
59
Location
Devon
Just to update, I went back to the ticket office, it was a different person and after my query she confirmed tickets sold are for a group of 10+, I told her the name of her colleague who sold them to me and told me he was correct in saying they were valid for 3 people, she replied saying he is fairly new and obviouslygot it wrong. I was refunded and then sold the correct tickets.
The reason I did not buy an outside boundary with the travelcard was because a friend purchased tickets about 6 weeks ago for our trip.
Thank you for the advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top