• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
As many of you know, I've been referred to a surgical specialist in London. I am, however, going to spend some 'me time' down there on the Wednesday and then the Thursday if my appointment goes well. Otherwise I may be forced to have a break down in the East Coast lounge and beg to get an earlier train home!

Anyways, whilst I'm down there I'm going to be using the tube alot. I have a disabled pass which I'm assuming I can use on the buses, but not the tube? Would that be correct? Is it worth getting an Oyster beforehand or anything like that?

I'd like to have a ride on the 700s if at all possible, even if that just means travelling within zone 1-3 or whatever you guys think is best. Any 'interesting' traction (I generally like the more modern DMUs and EMUs) that would be unavailable otherwise would be pretty cool. Otherwise, I'm just planning on doing all the touristy things again.

My train on Wednesday will arrive outside peak time, but my journey to Homerton requires me to be at the hospital by 0915 at the latest. What would the best way to go around fares for this? Single fare and then a daycard for the rest of the day?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
A Z1 to 6 day travelcard can be railcard discounted if this applies to you, likewise a DSB railcard can be added to an Oyster card be certain booking offices and in theory by all LU station staff.

I almost always bash in London on a paer travelcard as its so much easier than Oyster.

If you dont hold a railcard but wish to simply pay as you go then a smartphone with Android or apple pay or a contactless bank card will charge the same as Oyster.

Finally your existing ENCTS bus pass will indeed work on London buses, touch the reader when bording.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
On traction, 700s are pritty easy to come by now, if you like modern then the S stock on the LU sub surface lines and 2009 stock on the Victoria line as well as London overground 378 EMUs and 172 DMUs are all good bets.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
I don't have a disabled railcard. I don't travel frequently ennough to warrant getting one!

Might be worth me having a look and seeing if I can get any discount perhaps. Do you know if there are any of those 'badges' that people wear to get access to disabled sears? There was a big furore over them with pregnant women and disabled travellers using them.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
You'd get your Railcard money back on this one trip alone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top