• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Windermere Thursday 4th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernrail

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,462
I need to travel to from London to Windermere on Thursday for my Dad’s 80th.

How are the London - Glasgow services getting on today so far?

I am assuming my only work around is London to Crewe, Crewe to Manchester, Manchester to Windermere with alternative operators?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
They seem from Realtimetrains to have had a reasonable day - not brilliant punctuality but only one cancellation compared with the planed service.

Manchester to Oxenholme with TP is also a bit risky and even the limited Northern Manchester-Windermere service has had a cancellation.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,287
I am assuming my only work around is London to Crewe, Crewe to Manchester, Manchester to Windermere with alternative operators?
Will undoubtedly involve extended journey times, but if there were major problems travelling out of London Euston, you could, in theory, travel London Kings Cross to Leeds, then Leeds to Lancaster via the Bentham line. You can then almost certainly get from Lancaster (or from Carnforth) to Windermere via the 555 bus if there are no trains between Lancaster and Oxenholme/Windermere.
 

modernrail

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,462
Will undoubtedly involve extended journey times, but if there were major problems travelling out of London Euston, you could, in theory, travel London Kings Cross to Leeds, then Leeds to Lancaster via the Bentham line. You can then almost certainly get from Lancaster (or from Carnforth) to Windermere via the 555 bus if there are no trains between Lancaster and Oxenholme/Windermere.
Thank you Mcr Warrior. Yeah my mind moved to the Bentham line this afternoon.

No idea what the position will be on ticket acceptance but frankly I am past caring. After a number of horror journeys recently the railway will just have to suck it up or get its act together because I will not be handing over any more money. The whole industry seems to have become a silly and unprofessional joke. There just don’t seem to be any serious characters stepping up to sort all the various bits of mess out.

On that note, if you try and book a ticket for Thursday morning online for this route you are only able to purchase a first class for silly money. As far as I am aware they still have to offer the relevant off-peak standard fare for an off-peak service and you take your luck on getting a seat if no seat reservations available. Yet another unreasonable piece of behaviour from a heavily taxpayer subsidised industry. I presume I now have to buy the off-peak ticket at the station. That it is not how it is meant to work. All fares available at the station are meant to be available online.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
On that note, if you try and book a ticket for Thursday morning online for this route you are only able to purchase a first class for silly money. As far as I am aware they still have to offer the relevant off-peak standard fare for an off-peak service and you take your luck on getting a seat if no seat reservations available. Yet another unreasonable piece of behaviour from a heavily taxpayer subsidised industry. I presume I now have to buy the off-peak ticket at the station. That it is not how it is meant to work. All fares available at the station are meant to be available online.
...as they are, for example, on the 11.30 ex EUS. At least you know that you can travel on any service within the restriction times if you book that. Others may not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top