Hi,
I need to travel to Taunton on Thursday at relatively short notice... out and back in the same day. I'll be starting in Wandsworth Common, and returning to Heathrow (via West Drayton, then by bus to T5) for a flight that evening.
A quick search on GWR shows a return price (2 singles, 1 advance and 1 super off-peak I think) at £83.70 - pretty pricey IMO.
I've found this instead which gives about 33% off, not dirt cheap but better than nothing. I'm posting here to see if anyone can better it, and for a quick sanity check! My only question is over the Off-Peak Day Return from Theale to Castle Cary... the return travel restrictions don't make sense?
I'm travelling outward westbound and return eastbound, but the return restrictions imply westbound departures from Paddington? Here is the restriction info: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/L5
Stations
WSW Wandsworth Common
SPB Shepherd's Bush
EAL Ealing Broadway
WDT West Drayton
IVR Iver
RDG Reading
THE Theale
CLC Castle Cary
TAU Taunton
Tickets
FRM TO TYPE COST VALIDITY
WSW-WDT PAP 04.10 Anytime (avoiding Z1)
WDT-IVR 7DS 11.30 Anytime
IVR-THE CDR 11.00 09:30+
THE-CLC CDR 22.20 09:30+? | None?
CLC-TAU CDR 09.00 08:45+
Total------ 57.60
Trains
Outward
09:30 WSW > SPB 09:53 Southern
09:58 SPB > EAL 10:12 TFL
10:20 EAL > WDT 10:35 GWR
10:46 WDT > RDG 11:21 GWR
11:33 RDG > TAU 12:58 GWR
Return
17:36 TAU > RDG 18:51 GWR
19:08 RDG > WDT 19:40
I believe this combination is valid for through services that don't stop at Theale or Castle Cary as one of the tickets (West Drayton to Iver) used is a (7-day) season ticket, as per the NR CoC.
Thanks in advance for any comments!
I need to travel to Taunton on Thursday at relatively short notice... out and back in the same day. I'll be starting in Wandsworth Common, and returning to Heathrow (via West Drayton, then by bus to T5) for a flight that evening.
A quick search on GWR shows a return price (2 singles, 1 advance and 1 super off-peak I think) at £83.70 - pretty pricey IMO.
I've found this instead which gives about 33% off, not dirt cheap but better than nothing. I'm posting here to see if anyone can better it, and for a quick sanity check! My only question is over the Off-Peak Day Return from Theale to Castle Cary... the return travel restrictions don't make sense?
I'm travelling outward westbound and return eastbound, but the return restrictions imply westbound departures from Paddington? Here is the restriction info: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/L5
Stations
WSW Wandsworth Common
SPB Shepherd's Bush
EAL Ealing Broadway
WDT West Drayton
IVR Iver
RDG Reading
THE Theale
CLC Castle Cary
TAU Taunton
Tickets
FRM TO TYPE COST VALIDITY
WSW-WDT PAP 04.10 Anytime (avoiding Z1)
WDT-IVR 7DS 11.30 Anytime
IVR-THE CDR 11.00 09:30+
THE-CLC CDR 22.20 09:30+? | None?
CLC-TAU CDR 09.00 08:45+
Total------ 57.60
Trains
Outward
09:30 WSW > SPB 09:53 Southern
09:58 SPB > EAL 10:12 TFL
10:20 EAL > WDT 10:35 GWR
10:46 WDT > RDG 11:21 GWR
11:33 RDG > TAU 12:58 GWR
Return
17:36 TAU > RDG 18:51 GWR
19:08 RDG > WDT 19:40
I believe this combination is valid for through services that don't stop at Theale or Castle Cary as one of the tickets (West Drayton to Iver) used is a (7-day) season ticket, as per the NR CoC.
Thanks in advance for any comments!
Last edited: