• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Nice by Eurostar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,142
I am planning a trip to Nice around next August Bank Holiday, and would like to travel by train. My initial thought is to go by Eurostar, but does it go all the way to Nice? Does it run every day? Does it stop at Ebbsfleet? Or would I need to change at Marseille?

The Eurostar timetables only seem to go up to next March.

Any help and advice is welcomed.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
1,721
During the summer of 2018, the Eurostar trains ran according to this timetable:

upload_2018-11-24_1-24-9.png

As you can see, the trains do not call at Ebbsfleet, nor at Nice.

Eurostar haven't published their 2019 summer timetable yet, but it's likely that the 2019 service will be very similar to the times above. Eurostar are probably still working out the final timetable based on forecasted demand, the amount of direct trains to the south of France seems to vary over the years.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
But the times won't vary much from last year. It's easy to get to Nice from Marseilles, best to go on the TGV as the local trains are pretty bashed up (even though they are less than 10 years old), although they are cheap. You can get a through fare from the ES or ouigo.fr (formerly SNCF) websites.
 

TRAX

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2015
Messages
1,837
Location
France
But the times won't vary much from last year. It's easy to get to Nice from Marseilles, best to go on the TGV as the local trains are pretty bashed up (even though they are less than 10 years old), although they are cheap. You can get a through fare from the ES or ouigo.fr (formerly SNCF) websites.

The site you want to mention is oui.sncf, not Ouigo (which is the low-cost TGV).
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
We did that. Took an early eurostar to Lille then got a quick bite, then the through Lille-Nice TGV. Went on to Palermo via Florence and Naples(For Pompeii)
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,948
Location
Mold, Clwyd
We did that. Took an early eurostar to Lille then got a quick bite, then the through Lille-Nice TGV. Went on to Palermo via Florence and Naples(For Pompeii)

The through Lille-Nice TGVs don't seem to be operating next year.
They don't show up on bahn.de anyway.
I generally wait till the winter European Rail Timetable is published next month for a full picture.
 

Alfonso

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
595
There's also the daytime thello train from Marseille to Nice if you don't fancy a tgv or local train
 

k-c-p

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2013
Messages
214
Starting December 2018 SNCF will run Ouigo to Nice. As I result it may scale back "regular" TGVs to Nice (SNCF wants to shift quite an mount of service to Ouigo to reduce costs).

When you opt to go to Marseille by EST I would recommend to buy a TGV/Ouigo ticket for the leg to Nice. It does not give much of an advantage in terms of time, but you will get a reserved seat
it will be less crowded and lot more comfortable than (pretty run down) the TER.

Bon Voyage
Charly
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,142
Many thanks for all your help and comments.

Do you know when the Eurostar summer timetable will be published and when tickets for August will be on sale?
 

AlexNL

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
1,721
From the Eurostar website:

How far in advance can I book Eurostar tickets?
Eurostar tickets to Paris, Lille, Brussels and Amsterdam can usually be booked up to 180 days before your return travel date, however this can vary – for instance if there's engineering work on one of the lines – and there are a few exceptions.

Lyon, Avignon and Marseille
Tickets on the direct* Eurostar train go on sale between 150 and 280 days in advance, depending on when you book.

* On the way to the UK, you’ll need to arrive at Lyon Part-Dieu, Marseille Saint-Charles or Avignon TGV 20 minutes before departure. There are no ticket gates, security or passport control, as these will take place in Lille. Just hop on board and we’ll check your ticket en route. When you arrive in Lille, our onboard and station teams will guide you every step of the way.

We're already past the 280 days mark. I've asked Eurostar on Twitter if they have any information, and will reply here when I get a response.


Edit: Eurostar have responded:
tickets go on sale 180 days before any date of travel. I would advise keeping an eye on our website around this time for further information regarding times. Hope this helps.

August 1st - 180 days = February 2nd.
 
Last edited:

Welby

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
37
Tickets for the direct service from London to Marseille for August have been on sale for a few months already.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,142
Tickets for the direct service from London to Marseille for August have been on sale for a few months already.
Thanks. I've had a look on the Eurostar website, and the only trains appear to be on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. In 2018, they also ran on Thursdays (the day I'm hoping to travel :rolleyes:). I'm assuming that they have dropped Thursdays, or will there be a timetable update?
 

AlexNL

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
1,721
In 2018, they also ran on Thursdays (the day I'm hoping to travel :rolleyes:). I'm assuming that they have dropped Thursdays, or will there be a timetable update?
The 2018 timetable (of which I embedded a screenshot in post #2) has a footnote for the Thursday service: "runs on 21 June 2018 only". So same service pattern as last year then.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,142
We did that. Took an early eurostar to Lille then got a quick bite, then the through Lille-Nice TGV. Went on to Palermo via Florence and Naples(For Pompeii)

I've been looking at this as an option, but am struggling to find a timetable for it for 2019. However, I have found this on the RailEurope site (although could only get a price in $s!).

Does anyone know if this train will run in 2019?

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • Lille to Nice.docx
    151.5 KB · Views: 11

404250

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
367
Tgv and other French rail can't be booked too far in advance. Not sure, but might be only available till mid June at the moment.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,948
Location
Mold, Clwyd
The SNCF web sites say summer bookings (from July 6 to December 14) will be available on March 26.
The only Lille-Nice direct service I can see on journey planners is at 0729 on Saturdays.
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,116
I have done London to Nice by Eurostar and TGV, I went via Paris, using metro from Gare Du Nord to Gare De Lyon, Which done in about 25 mins, and the journey time from Paris-Nice is about 5hr 45 mins, with a decent choice of trains, there is also a great station buffet/restaurant at Gare De Lyon, called the Train Bleu which is an amazing place, stunning artwork on ceiling and great food, and if you can stomach crossing Paris I would recommend going this way.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
The problem is that Lille-Marseille has now become a major Ouigo route, as k-c-p said earlier (operating out of Lille Flandres not Europe) and the convenient lunchtime through service to Nice is one of the casualties.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
^ if you are tempted to make a connection from Lille Europe to Lille Flanders, it is a 500m walk.
 

newmilton

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2010
Messages
174
French summer train tickets now on sale apparently
I booked Lyon to Lille in August this morning, so yes, they are (sometimes the Lille and other regional services aren't released until after the Paris-centred ones). My outbound journey is on the direct E* from Ashford, but it doesn't run on a Thursday when I come back, so I have a separate ticket back from Lille to Ashford, booked in February.

(The direct south of France E* went on sale well before the usual six month horizon - not sure why, but I got a good fare!)
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
That Eurostar 9084 from London to Marseille runs this year from May 3rd to September 16th 2019 on Monday, Friday and Saturday without change. Times away and return remain the same. Return has a 75 minutes stop in Lille for you know what!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
That Eurostar 9084 from London to Marseille runs this year from May 3rd to September 16th 2019 on Monday, Friday and Saturday without change. Times away and return remain the same. Return has a 75 minutes stop in Lille for you know what!

Plus Sundays 26 May and from 30 June to 1 Sept, so just as last year.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Yes i saw that but did not want to bother you with that. It seems there is a Amsterdam - Marseille train this year also.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,142
Thank you for all your comments. I have decided to go London - Paris Gare du Nord, taxi across Paris and then Gare de Lyon to Nice. I'm not the quickest walker, so am allowing 1.5 hours to get off the Eurostar, grab a taxi, and board the TGV. Is this sufficient time? Are there any hints for minimising any delays? E.g., is it best to get seats at the front of the Eurostar so that I can get out of Gare du Nord quickly? Are there any passport checks leaving Gare du Nord, notwithstanding any changes which may occur due to Brexit.

I am aware that over here, if there are any delays on your journey such that you miss your connection, you can catch the next available serrvice. Does such an arrangement exist in France if I am delayed on the Eurostar? Does it matter if I break the train journey by taking a taxi?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top