• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Newcastle on the 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_maiLman

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2011
Messages
10
Been lurking on the forums for a bit now but now I need your help so I finally registered... :D

Basically I'm a Fulham fan who is perhaps considering going up to Newcastle for the match between us on the 27th. It's a 15:00 kick off so I have to arrive at about 14:30 latest and I suppose I can get on any train back afterwards.

I'm trying to find the cheapest fares but they're all pretty expensive (Especially for a student like me) so I'm just wondering are there any ways to cut the fare like by splitting etc...

Thanks, Liam
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Being a student may i ask how old you are, i'm guessing you may be eligble for a 16-25 railcard.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
The Cheapest Advance Fares currently seem to be £32.65 OUT and £27.05 RTN, with your 16-25 discount. Giving a total of £59.70.

I will doubt you could find anything cheaper than this, but i may be wrong.
 

The_maiLman

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2011
Messages
10
Thanks, and hmm I'm considering it but I need to watch the pennies...

But thank you anyway I'm really appreciative :)
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
How early are you willing to leave here's an option you can get to Newcastle by Coach and Train by this route on your way out. saving a lot of money. do you hold a NUS Extra Card?

Okay here's an option you take the megabusplus option from London St Pancras to Doncaster this involves doing :

0815 London St Pancras to East Midlands Parkway by Train arrive 0942
1005 East Midlands Parkway to Doncaster Frenchgate Interchange by Bus arrive 1110

All one through ticket, book at megabus.com if you hold the NUS Extra card it will cost £8.10 single or £9.00 without. When you arrive in Doncaster the interchange is right next door to the train station, then you will catch the 1217 Doncaster to Newcastle XC Service, the ticket price with your 16-25 railcard will cost £12.55 STD Advance, therefore the total cost comes down to £21.55 for outward journey.

I've allowed you an hour @ Doncaster just in case the bus is late, using this option with getting a train direct back from Newcastle to London, takes the total cost to under £50.00.
 
Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,384
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Hi Liam, welcome to the forum.

If you're planning on doing more awaydays in the future, remember that advance tickets generally go on sale 12 weeks before the date of travel - so this is the time to get the cheapest fares. I know this isn't much use for Newcastle however!
 

leyscjd

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2011
Messages
42
Game is very likely to be moved to the Sunday as Fulham are playing in The Ukraine on the Thursday so don't book advances for the Saturday!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
London - Newcastle requests crop up quite frequently.

This is what I posted last time:

The cheapest will be an Advance ticket, and I would advise booking earlier than 2 weeks in advance if at all possible.

A less popular train such as the 22:00 out of King's Cross should be affordable at 2 weeks' notice, providing it's a Monday-Thursday. I chose a date at random (16 Aug) and the fare is £15.00 inc online discount. For 2 weeks' notice, that is as cheap as you will get!

Previous topics:

Through tickets are cheaper, unless there is an event or passenger flow that has caused many people to book the quota up for a particular segment of the journey, in which case splitting may help. Some advice about where splitting may be beneficial was posted in an earlier thread:


As I book myself tickets for exactly that journey regularly, and always intending to remain on the same EC train thoughout, I have often managed to save a few pounds by splitting at Peterborough (but not always), or occasionally at Grantham or Newark, but never by looking at splits anywhere further north than that.
If you do, take care to ensure you are booing yourself onto the same train, as the Leeds and Newcastle services are often just 3 or so minutes apart!

Make sure you use the East Coast site to book, do not use other sites as only EC give their web discount.

Obviously the 22:00 isn't much use for you unless you can get cheap accomodation in Newcastle. Booking far in advance I often travel from York <> London for a 10 pounds or less, but these offers simply are not available at short notice as they sell out fast.
 

danbushell

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2011
Messages
65
if your willing to travel by coach it's £9 each way to Newcastle on National Express if you book your tickets at least 2 weeks in advance.
 

The_maiLman

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2011
Messages
10
A few of my friends are now going and we've decided to drive up now..

But I'd like to thank everyone who has replied to this thread, It's easily the best response I've ever had by far to creating a thread and asking for help in my forumming history (I regularly go on a few). This forum can take pride in that :)

Liam
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
If you're driving in I'd reccommend parking at a park and ride station on the Metro and continuing in by rail. Depending on what day it is, (weekend = busy), traffic out of Newcastle can be at a standstill. There are also ongoing roadwork just outside the ground that will make things worse.

Two suggestions are either Kingston Park or Regent Centre, which are both quite near to the A1.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
If you're driving in I'd reccommend parking at a park and ride station on the Metro and continuing in by rail. Depending on what day it is, (weekend = busy), traffic out of Newcastle can be at a standstill. There are also ongoing roadwork just outside the ground that will make things worse.

Two suggestions are either Kingston Park or Regent Centre, which are both quite near to the A1.

Driving from the south, the Angel of the North also works well as a surprisingly-underused Park and Ride, and avoids driving on the A1 round Newcastle (it's also pretty easy to find if you don't know the area!!!!). It's just off the A1, there's free parking, buses are more frequent than every 10 minutes and its about a 20 minute ride to Newcastle city centre. Only downside is that the bus stop is a short walk (2/3 minutes at most!) back towards the A1 from the Angel, but still works out quite good.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Aye, but everything is busier on match day, so the briges across the Tyne will be busy and the bus might get delayed in the city centre (especially after the match).

Bit of a catch 22 as the A1 will be busy between the Angel and Metrocentre, so it is either sitting in a traffic jam in Newcastle or on the A1.

Other option would be Heworth, which would probably be less busy and you can get there via the A1 and A194.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top