• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Gort by Sailrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulb

Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
452
Hello all,

I'm planning to travel from London to Gort (a station on the recently re-opened Limerick to Galway line) in August.

My intended itinerary is as follows:

Euston 1210
Chester 1412

Chester 1425
Holyhead 1614

Holyhead 1715
Dublin 1915

Dublin Heuston 1130
Athenry 1347

Athenry 1638
Gort 1716

And returning

Gort 1521
Limerick 1628

Limerick 1655
Limerick Junction 1722

Limerick Junction 1732
Dublin Heuston 1930

Dublin 1430
Holyhead 1630

Holyhead 1721
Chester 1913

Chester 1955
Crewe 2018

Crewe 2047
Euston 2245

However, I'm coming up against a few problems.

When trying to book a return ticket over the phone, Gort is not listed as a destination. The nearest stations that I can buy a ticket to are Athenry and Ennis.

As I want to travel out via Athenry, and return via Ennis, will I be able to travel to and from Gort without being excessed, as the fare is the same to any station in Ireland?

Third, if I buy a ticket to Athenry, but want to return from Gort via Limerick, would the ticket be valid, even though the fares are the same?

The rules say that I have to complete my journey on the same day, but as the last train to Gort leaves Dublin (via Athenry) at 1525, I've no choice but to stay in Dublin overnight. Assuming that will be allowed, am I obliged to take the first train the next day, which is at 0730, or does the rule apply that I may recommence my journey by 1200 noon the next day as in the UK?

I'd also like to upgrade to 1st class, and as my travel between London and Holyhead and back will be on Saturdays, assume that Weekend First will be available on the train (on the Virgin part). Likewise, would I be able to take advantage of Club Class on board the Swift? Irish Rail also have 1st class upgrades available any day of the week. Are all these upgrades available in conjunction Sailrail tickets? "The Man in Seat Sixty-one..." website specifically states that 1st class is only available by booking each portion of the journey separately.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
A ticket to Ennis from London (and most of the UK) is £97 whilst a ticket to Dublin ferry port is 61 (returns) and a return Heuston to Galway is €48 so I doubt that it will cost much more to buy a ticket from Heuston to Gort than the through ticket.

No you can't upgrade you rail tickets to 1st you would have to buy separate 1st class rail tickets (or standard ones and upgrade those) and buy your ferry tick separately also. I believe however you can upgrade to club class on the ferry.

As for not being able to complete your journey the same day would it be possible if an earlier ferry was caught? if not then I would hope it would be valid but obviously Iarnród Éireann work in a different way to National Rail and ATOC.

You can ring Iarnród Éireann on:
00353 1 703 1884

Or visit the European travel page at:
http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/UK_and_european_rail.asp

Edit:

Or ring Sailrail, they were very helpfull when I rang them up a few weeks ago.

http://www.sailrail.co.uk/
 
Last edited:

tivoli

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2009
Messages
225
Not directly linked, but I have upgraded to first on FGW, when travelling on Fishguard-Rosslare on SailRail ticket without any problem. Also once when travelling back bought single SailRail ticket at Rosslare and found that they had issued it as first class, which was accepted on UK trains back to Cambridge!
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
For information the restriction for a Sailrail ticket Holyhead to Dublin Ferry Port rout: Irish Ferries are:

Restriction : 6K
Shipping Links 6K Irish
Ferries Ticket types ECS and
ECR

Outward Travel

Valid on date on ticket only.
Valid on Irish Ferries
services port to port only.
Reservations are compulsory on
the ship leg.
Break of journey on rail leg
only.
No unaccompanied children
under 16 permitted to travel.

Return Travel

Valid on date on ticket only.
Valid on Irish Ferries
services port to port only.
Reservations are compulsory on
the ship leg.
Break of journey on rail leg
only.
No unaccompanied children
under 16 permitted to travel.

Refunds

Tickets issued in the UK:
Standard refund procedures
apply.
For tickets issued in Republic
of Ireland:
Refunds cannot be given. The
customer must claim through
Irish Rail.
Ticket Code: ECS
Ticket Class: STANDARD
Ticket Name: ECONOMY SINGLE
Single/Return: SINGLE
Out Validity:-
DATE ON TICKET ONLY
Break of Journey: NO

Reservation coupons for the
ship leg are mandatory and
rail tickets are not valid
without them

NOT VALID PORT TO PORT

Ticket Code: ECR
Ticket Class: STANDARD
Ticket Name: ECONOMY RETURN
Single/Return: RETURN
Out and Return Validity:-
DATE ON TICKET ONLY
Break of Journey: NO

Reservation coupons for the
ship leg are mandatory and
rail tickets are not valid
without them

NOT VALID PORT TO PORT

Here's a previous thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30936&highlight=sailrail

I could have sworn that in the restriction or it had been discussed before that upgrades are not permitted, I must be going mad or I am terribly confused, either way it appears that they are upgradable, according to the above thread.

I might try and find out on Tues but I expect the Excess will be rather to much from Euston to Holyhead!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For compeatness the Stena restrictions:

Restriction : 6C
Shipping Links 6C Stena Line
Ticket types ECS and_ECR

Outward Travel

Valid on date on ticket only.
Valid on Stena Line services
port to port only.
Reservations are compulsory on
the ship leg.
Break of journey on rail leg
only.
No unaccompanied children
under 16 permitted to travel.

Return Travel

Valid on date on ticket only.
Valid on Stena Line services
port to port only.
Reservations are compulsory on
the ship leg.
Break of journey on rail leg
only.
No unaccompanied children
under 16 permitted to travel.

Refunds


Tickets issued in the UK:
Standard refund procedures
apply.
For tickets issued in Republic
of Ireland:
Refunds cannot be given. The
customer must claim through
Irish Rail.
Ticket Code: ECS
Ticket Class: STANDARD
Ticket Name: ECONOMY SINGLE
Single/Return: SINGLE
Out Validity:-
DATE ON TICKET ONLY
Break of Journey: NO

Reservation coupons for the
ship leg are mandatory and
rail tickets are not valid
without them

NOT VALID PORT TO PORT

Ticket Code: ECR
Ticket Class: STANDARD
Ticket Name: ECONOMY RETURN
Single/Return: RETURN
Out and Return Validity:-
DATE ON TICKET ONLY
Break of Journey: NO

Reservation coupons for the
ship leg are mandatory and
rail tickets are not valid
without them

NOT VALID PORT TO PORT
 

auldyin

New Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
1
I notice it says reservation coupons are compulsory on the ship leg. Does this mean that you can't book a ticket from Birmingham to Dublin on the day of travel from a station, over the phone or online?

I have a plane booking but am looking at getting a ticket via sailrail on the day if the flight is cancelled.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I notice it says reservation coupons are compulsory on the ship leg. Does this mean that you can't book a ticket from Birmingham to Dublin on the day of travel from a station, over the phone or online?

I have a plane booking but am looking at getting a ticket via sailrail on the day if the flight is cancelled.
Normally I belive it is ok on Irish Ferries to take a different sailing to the one booked on but due the ash situation there are times where they are turning passengers away as the ferry is full.

I have spoken to Sailrail today and they are saying that there are still occasions where you would not get on the ferry and would have to wait for the next one or travel some other way.

I believe from another call to Sailral that reservations can be changed by phoning Irish Ferries up until 1800 the day before. I theory you can buy tickets at Connolly Station but in an e-mail from Iarnrod Eireann last month they said:

Hi,
Thank you for your email,

We have no availability, you need to contact the operator directly;
Irish Ferries 0818 300 400
Stena 01 204 7799


Regards,
Exxxx,
Iarnrod Eireann Travel Centre,
35 Lower Abbey Street,
Dublin 1,

01-8366222
info@irishrail.ie

Wether that is still the case I don't know - best to check.

Edit as your'e going the wrong way.

Normaly you can but Sailrail tickets at the station on the day but I would strongly advise buying them in advance due to the above and that some station seem to have difficulty in issuing less common tickets and I would deffenatly advoid Birmingham Internationl and Coventry after my hassle with them yesterday (on the way home I decided to buy a ticket to Euston and excess it there rather than deal with tham again)
 
Last edited:

4513ian

New Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
1
Hi i have sold a sail rail ticket from Ardrahan to London twice before we charge the person 64 Euros as if they they where buying a ticket from Galway to London
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top