Not to Glasgow, but there's also the X95 Carlisle to Edinburgh 4 x daily (journey time about 3 hrs 40 mins) for anyone thinking of a long Anglo - Scottish journey.Someone did London to Lancashire a while back in a day, twitter thread here. That was:
- N9 to Heathrow
- 7 to Slough
- X74 to High Wycombe (could probably skip Slough now with improvements to the Heathrow-Wycombe 102)
- 300 to Aylesbury (Arriva then, now Redline)
- 100 to Milton Keynes
- X6 to Northampton
- X7 to Leicester
- Skylink to Derby
- Transpeak to Buxton
- 199 to Stepping Hill
- 191 to Manchester
- 8 to Bolton
- 125 to Preston
- 40 to Lancaster (finishing in Morcambe in the original)
Then I reckon the quickest route would be:
- 555 to Keswick
- 554 to Carlisle
- 79 to Dumfries
Things break down a bit in Scotland as bus/coach is a bit less distinct, but maybe:
- 246 to Cumnock
- 50/76 to Kilmarnock
- 337 to Beith
- 904 to Paisley
- 38 to Glasgow
Haven't done the timings for the last bit, but reckon this is probably doable in two days! I'd aim to break in Keswick but Lancaster perhaps more realistic.
To plug my own slightly silly project, I did put together a map for working out routes like this a while ago, most up-to-date version attached but there may be errors.
Someone did London to Lancashire a while back in a day, twitter thread here. That was:
- N9 to Heathrow
- 7 to Slough
- X74 to High Wycombe (could probably skip Slough now with improvements to the Heathrow-Wycombe 102)
- 300 to Aylesbury (Arriva then, now Redline)
- 100 to Milton Keynes
- X6 to Northampton
- X7 to Leicester
- Skylink to Derby
- Transpeak to Buxton
- 199 to Stepping Hill
- 191 to Manchester
- 8 to Bolton
- 125 to Preston
- 40 to Lancaster (finishing in Morcambe in the original)
Then I reckon the quickest route would be:
- 555 to Keswick
- 554 to Carlisle
- 79 to Dumfries
Things break down a bit in Scotland as bus/coach is a bit less distinct, but maybe:
- 246 to Cumnock
- 50/76 to Kilmarnock
- 337 to Beith
- 904 to Paisley
- 38 to Glasgow
Haven't done the timings for the last bit, but reckon this is probably doable in two days! I'd aim to break in Keswick but Lancaster perhaps more realistic.
To plug my own slightly silly project, I did put together a map for working out routes like this a while ago, most up-to-date version attached but there may be errors.
Is the distinction between "bus" and "coach" being drawn in terms of the type of vehicle or the type of service?
If a service is open to anyone who presents themselves and you're not expected to pre-book, then to me it's a "bus" whatever vehicle may be used. That would allow our intrepid traveller to get an X74 from Dumfries to Glasgow, and arrive in Glasgow at 1655 having started the day in Lancaster. FWIW, Stagecoach publicity does refer to this as a "bus" service, even though the vehicles which operate it are usually Plaxton Elites.
If, on the other hand, we're saying that a Plaxton Elite or similar is definitely a "coach" and hence not allowed for this trip, could this ever present a problem with the route from London to Lancaster outlined by Parebunks above?
I know I've mentioned this before on these forums, but I actually did this trip - and another one from London to Edinburgh - quarter of a century ago. I constrained myself by starting from my home in Kent and getting an offpeak train to London, thus not leaving London until about 1200 on Day 1. In both cases I reached the Scottish city on Day 3, with overnight stops in Stamford and Thirsk on the way to Edinburgh, and Belper and Annan on the way to Glasgow. The Glasgow one could certainly have been done in two days if I'd left London at dawn. The Edinburgh one possibly not, because it used a couple of rather infrequent services: Stamford to Grantham on what was then Lincolnshire Roadcar, and Thirsk to Darlo on John Smith (Thirsk), a firm and route which no longer exists.
Minor note, the 840 operates between York and Whitby, not the 843. The latter operates between York and Scarborough.York - Whitby (843)
Didn't even notice the 4, shows how patchy my Scotland knowledge is! That would definitely be quicker, yes.I agree that if you get to Lancaster on day 1 then your routes into Glasgow is doable in 2 days. A possible shortening is to use the non-express 4 from Kilmarnock to Glasgow - you should make the Glasgow by 18:52 rather than just before 9pm if you leave Lancaster on the first 555. Strangely not getting anything but Stagecoach buses on that day if you take the 4 out of Kilmarnock!
In England it's fairly clear-cut - registered services with ENCTS validity and mostly £2 fares. Don't think it makes a different for my suggested route anyway, everything I suggested is operated with indisputably 'bus' vehicles AFAIK.Is the distinction between "bus" and "coach" being drawn in terms of the type of vehicle or the type of service?
If a service is open to anyone who presents themselves and you're not expected to pre-book, then to me it's a "bus" whatever vehicle may be used. That would allow our intrepid traveller to get an X74 from Dumfries to Glasgow, and arrive in Glasgow at 1655 having started the day in Lancaster. FWIW, Stagecoach publicity does refer to this as a "bus" service, even though the vehicles which operate it are usually Plaxton Elites.
If, on the other hand, we're saying that a Plaxton Elite or similar is definitely a "coach" and hence not allowed for this trip, could this ever present a problem with the route from London to Lancaster outlined by Parebunks above?
I know I've mentioned this before on these forums, but I actually did this trip - and another one from London to Edinburgh - quarter of a century ago. I constrained myself by starting from my home in Kent and getting an offpeak train to London, thus not leaving London until about 1200 on Day 1. In both cases I reached the Scottish city on Day 3, with overnight stops in Stamford and Thirsk on the way to Edinburgh, and Belper and Annan on the way to Glasgow. The Glasgow one could certainly have been done in two days if I'd left London at dawn. The Edinburgh one possibly not, because it used a couple of rather infrequent services: Stamford to Grantham on what was then Lincolnshire Roadcar, and Thirsk to Darlo on John Smith (Thirsk), a firm and route which no longer exists.
He started from Charing Cross at 03.00 and finished in Morecambe 00.29 the following day, his last bus would have been a Stagecoach 40 23.15 from Preston (now numbered 41, terminates in Lancaster) https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk...be-bus-adventure-sparks-twitter-storm-3356177Someone did London to Lancashire a while back in a day, twitter thread here. That was:
- N9 to Heathrow
- 7 to Slough
- X74 to High Wycombe (could probably skip Slough now with improvements to the Heathrow-Wycombe 102)
- 300 to Aylesbury (Arriva then, now Redline)
- 100 to Milton Keynes
- X6 to Northampton
- X7 to Leicester
- Skylink to Derby
- Transpeak to Buxton
- 199 to Stepping Hill
- 191 to Manchester
- 8 to Bolton
- 125 to Preston
- 40 to Lancaster (finishing in Morcambe in the original)
Then I reckon the quickest route would be:
- 555 to Keswick
- 554 to Carlisle
- 79 to Dumfries
Things break down a bit in Scotland as bus/coach is a bit less distinct, but maybe:
- 246 to Cumnock
- 50/76 to Kilmarnock
- 337 to Beith
- 904 to Paisley
- 38 to Glasgow
Haven't done the timings for the last bit, but reckon this is probably doable in two days! I'd aim to break in Keswick but Lancaster perhaps more realistic.
To plug my own slightly silly project, I did put together a map for working out routes like this a while ago, most up-to-date version attached but there may be errors.
I would define it more by route for the challenge, as it would make it much easier due to the A-B of major cities a long distance away, if a coach 'vehicle' were to do a shorter journey such as commonly in Scotland, that would be acceptable.Is the distinction between "bus" and "coach" being drawn in terms of the type of vehicle or the type of service?
If a service is open to anyone who presents themselves and you're not expected to pre-book, then to me it's a "bus" whatever vehicle may be used. That would allow our intrepid traveller to get an X74 from Dumfries to Glasgow, and arrive in Glasgow at 1655 having started the day in Lancaster. FWIW, Stagecoach publicity does refer to this as a "bus" service, even though the vehicles which operate it are usually Plaxton Elites.
If, on the other hand, we're saying that a Plaxton Elite or similar is definitely a "coach" and hence not allowed for this trip, could this ever present a problem with the route from London to Lancaster outlined by Parebunks above?
I know I've mentioned this before on these forums, but I actually did this trip - and another one from London to Edinburgh - quarter of a century ago. I constrained myself by starting from my home in Kent and getting an offpeak train to London, thus not leaving London until about 1200 on Day 1. In both cases I reached the Scottish city on Day 3, with overnight stops in Stamford and Thirsk on the way to Edinburgh, and Belper and Annan on the way to Glasgow. The Glasgow one could certainly have been done in two days if I'd left London at dawn. The Edinburgh one possibly not, because it used a couple of rather infrequent services: Stamford to Grantham on what was then Lincolnshire Roadcar, and Thirsk to Darlo on John Smith (Thirsk), a firm and route which no longer exists.
That's amazing! I'll definitely have to look into this as this could be such a good planSomeone did London to Lancashire a while back in a day, twitter thread here. That was:
- N9 to Heathrow
- 7 to Slough
- X74 to High Wycombe (could probably skip Slough now with improvements to the Heathrow-Wycombe 102)
- 300 to Aylesbury (Arriva then, now Redline)
- 100 to Milton Keynes
- X6 to Northampton
- X7 to Leicester
- Skylink to Derby
- Transpeak to Buxton
- 199 to Stepping Hill
- 191 to Manchester
- 8 to Bolton
- 125 to Preston
- 40 to Lancaster (finishing in Morcambe in the original)
Then I reckon the quickest route would be:
- 555 to Keswick
- 554 to Carlisle
- 79 to Dumfries
Things break down a bit in Scotland as bus/coach is a bit less distinct, but maybe:
- 246 to Cumnock
- 50/76 to Kilmarnock
- 337 to Beith
- 904 to Paisley
- 38 to Glasgow
Haven't done the timings for the last bit, but reckon this is probably doable in two days! I'd aim to break in Keswick but Lancaster perhaps more realistic.
To plug my own slightly silly project, I did put together a map for working out routes like this a while ago, most up-to-date version attached but there may be errors.
X74 serves Beattock, Moffat and Lesmahagow as wellI mean these things are fairly arbitrary - there are coach vehicles that operate local services regularly in Scotland.
The X74 is a bus service in that you turn up at Whitesands in Dumfries pay £12.90 and it takes you to Glasgow. It doesn't really appear in the spirit of the challenge as to me it's got more in common with intercity coaches - joins the M74 and has limited stops like Abington Service Station and only at the bus station and not other stops in Hamilton.
For the same reason you could on arrival at Kilmarnock us an X76 which goes direct to Glasgow on the M77, but the 4 feels more like a regular bus service.
If wanting to leave central London after night buses cease running, suggested services (avoiding use of 757 Green Line) could work as follows, weekday daytime frequencies given:I don't know how early you want to depart London.
Your trip could be done in two days if you leave in the small hours and everything goes to plan. The last 40/41 bus arrives in Lancaster about 00.24 and the first 555 bus to Keswick leaves there 07.05.
However I'd be realistic and allow three days, especially if you want to leave central London on or after 7 am, also allowing for delays and/or cancellations en route.
Day 1, London-Derby, the Skylink between Leicester-Derby runs 24/7
Day 2, Derby-Lancaster
Day 3, Lancaster-Glasgow