• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Edinburgh via Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentarm

New Member
Joined
31 Mar 2014
Messages
2
Hi,

I have a super off peak return ticket from Edinburgh to London. I was hoping to go back to Edinburgh via Glasgow.

If I'm reading the routeing guide correctly, this should be allowed (LM + EG is specifically in the list of permitted routes from London to Edinburgh), and if I'm reading this right (http://trainsupport.custhelp.com/ap...re-off-peak-and-super-off-peak-tickets-valid?), I should be able to get the 12.30 from London tomorrow.

However, I haven't really looked at any of these things before, so I'm really not sure if I'm reading anything right. Can anyone shed any light?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andythebrave

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2009
Messages
570
Location
England
This is permitted arriving at Central, walk to Queen Street for onward to Edinburgh. Although a straight change at Central is not permitted due to doubling back NRE also shows that is valid too. Just take a printed itinerary from NRE.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
This is permitted arriving at Central, walk to Queen Street for onward to Edinburgh. Although a straight change at Central is not permitted due to doubling back NRE also shows that is valid too. Just take a printed itinerary from NRE.

Chances of being pulled up on it is however virtually nil, but ask the guard for permission before boarding.

Yes, I have done this before, numerous times. I have never been refused, although a few did think I was bonkers going on an Edinburgh service all the way via Carluke and Carstairs.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Yes, I have done this before, numerous times. I have never been refused, although a few did think I was bonkers going on an Edinburgh service all the way via Carluke and Carstairs.

No, we only reserve the "bonkers" look for those doing the all stopper via Shotts & West Calder!
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Booking a London-Edinburgh single recently, needing to use it London-Glasgow only (long story), staff at Reading told me it was not a permitted route. This happened on two occasions at different terminals, though I was offered a sleeper reservation for Euston-Glasgow but told I'd need a new ticket to get to Edinburgh.

At Paddington meanwhile was happily sold the ticket with reservations, and a look of bafflement when asking why it had not been valid at Reading: "well, of course it's a permitted route, it always has been".

Could this be related to how the terminals were set up - perhaps Reading was only showing connexions from Central and not Queen St?

(Needless to say, not queried at all. Nor on the return using Hyndland-Reading ticket via Edinburgh, Doncaster and Birmingham which I believe is not technically permitted).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top