• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Ebbw Vale and Cardiff

bcarmicle

Member
Joined
11 May 2018
Messages
409
I will be travelling from London to Ebbw Vale, then to Cardiff, and then back to London in a day. However, depending on the timings, to get from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff, it it might be necessary to go via Newport.

If I buy a return ticket from London to Ebbw Vale, that is valid via Cardiff, so I can go London -> Newport -> Ebbw Vale, then Ebbw Vale -> Cardiff direct, and then Cardiff -> London on the way back.

If i need to go Ebbw Vale -> Newport -> Cardiff, and then Cardiff -> London, I think I would need to buy a Ebbw Vale to Cardiff single on the day to make my journey valid. That's reasonably cheap, so I'm not too fussed about it; I just want to check that that's right and that no one sees an obviously better way to do the tickets? (I'm quite keen to retain flexibility so am not too interested in doing splits).

Incidentally, while I was looking at the Routeing Guide, I don't obviously see why London to Ebbw Vale is valid without going via Cardiff, given that Cardiff is the only destination routeing point for the Ebbw Vale stations (Newport isn't, for some reason). Is there an easement I've missed? Having thought about it some more, it is presumably the shortest route rule that validates not-via-Cardiff.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
Joined
29 Aug 2014
Messages
3,152
Consider buying Paddington > Swindon return plus Swindon to Cardiff return. When you get to Newport, tap in your bank card with TFW contactless & take the train to Ebbw Vale for £4.20 and tap out. Tap in again at Ebbw Vale - if you are doing this back on the same train - use a different bank card as you can’t immediately tap in/out with the same card. So, you now go to Cardiff where you tap out with the card you tapped in with at Ebbw Vale = £4.20.

Your InterCity tickets now cover you to get back to London and of course, you do not leave the train(s) at Swindon - assuming the split saves you money.

See TFW contactless fare calculator but double check the price of buying real tickets as these might be cheaper if you have a Railcard. https://tfw.wales/ways-to-travel/rail/ticket-types/pay-as-you-go

Also consider PAD > Swindon return plus Swindon > Newport return - then as above for the Newport - Ebbw Vale - Cardiff legs. To get back from Cardiff to Newport - tap out (£2.70) use the TFW contactless system - which is also valid on Cross Country but NOT GWR. So you must use a TFW or Cross Country train Cardiff to Newport - where you wait for the GWR London bound train.

More about the TFW SE Wales contactless system here:> https://tfw.wales/ways-to-travel/rail/ticket-types/pay-as-you-go/south-wales/fares-and-capping
 
Last edited:

Top