• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Dover Priory This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_stoat

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2013
Messages
40
Hi all

I am having a bit of a battle with the Southeastern website (again)

I wish to go from Stratford to Dover return this weekend (Saturday) and I read somewhere that because of the bus replacement service I'd be better off going via Ramsgate but try as I might I cannot get the website to ticket SFA to DVP via RAM but it will sell two singles (four if you count the return)

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way I have to buy the tickets? or is it actually quicker/easier to go to Folkestone and pickup the bus replacement?

Thanks for your assistance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,115
Location
SE16
I'm not 100% sure but I believe tickets are being accepted via Ramsgate, as the Southeastern app suggests it for passengers wishing to avoid a bus.
If you are getting the bus then if you catch it from Folkestone West it departs from the car park adjacent to the coast platform, avoiding a walk at Central.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

miss_stoat

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2013
Messages
40
Thanks for the tip district...do you know if the bus replacement starts at Folkestone Central or Folkestone West? I ask because there is an event at Dover Castle this weekend and I am expecting services to be busy...

The Southeastern website suggests its quicker to get the bus, so if it starts at Folkestone West I will get it from there...

Thanks again!
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,305
Looking at the Journey Planner, going via Folkestone is significantly quicker than via Ramsgate even with the replacement bus. If you want to avoid the bus, then Stratford - Faversham - Dover (via Canterbury E) is also quicker than via Ramsgate.
 

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,115
Location
SE16
Thanks for the tip district...do you know if the bus replacement starts at Folkestone Central or Folkestone West? I ask because there is an event at Dover Castle this weekend and I am expecting services to be busy...

The Southeastern website suggests its quicker to get the bus, so if it starts at Folkestone West I will get it from there...

Thanks again!

It runs from Folkestone West, and calls at Folkestone Central (bus stop opposite Squid Ink tattoo parlour around the corner from the station) and Dover Priory. You are much more likely to get a seat if it is busy if you board from Folkestone West, and on most trains you'll be advised over the PA to change there for the bus to Dover.
 
Last edited:

miss_stoat

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2013
Messages
40
Thanks both...

After I posted my question I realised that the bus was quicker and as it starts at Folkestone West then that's what I will do.

I don't have anything against replacement buses really, I guess I'm just 'conditioned' to avoid them where I can, but, as I'm travelling alone this weekend with no luggage or other hindrances it's a no-brainer...

Thanks again!
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
Much quicker than going via Ramsgate would seem to be (as greatkingrat has noted) to change at Rochester and go via Canterbury East. Avoids buses and there are even advance fares showing (for Saturday) via this route on the Southeastern website, but you need to put in "via Canterbury East" to show it; I don't know why it doesn't show it by default - it is actually the shortest route by mileage.

While looking at this I noticed what appears to be a mistake in the routeing guide: the only mapped routes from Stratford Group to Dover Priory are via London. Via Canterbury East is permitted as its the shortest route, and via Ashford is within 3 miles of the shortest route. But there are no mapped routes via HS1.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Also you can use non-high speed tickets to and from Dover Priory on the high speed trains to save money.

They won't work the St Pancras barriers, you just need to show your ticket to someone on the barrier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top