• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Teeside Airport!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
I am planning a trip to go to Teeside airport! Advances for the days I'm wanting to travel on have gone up quite a bit already so I am seeking advice about how to reduce the cost of an Anytime Return (SOR) between London Terminals and Teeside Airport using PRIV discount. (£73.75)

I am fairly flexible with the route/ticket combinations, but it has to be for trains outward on Saturday 15th March and with BOJ at Darlington to get the Sunday (16th) morning train to Teeside Airport and back on the same day.

I'm grateful to anyone who can give ways to bring the cost down, PM me if you don't want to reveal it by posting in this thread! ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I assume that you want to get to the airport itself rather than Teesside Airport station? ;)
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Do you still get any free travel, for example, on EMT, out of interest?
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Do you still get any free travel, for example, on EMT, out of interest?

No, should have mentioned, as I work for LM I get free travel on them and SN and SE, probably not much use unless I could use LM for part of the Journey?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The station might not be there for too much longer either...

Until they move it 500m down the road? :lol:
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
In that case, my first suggestion is:

Get the Trent Valley LM to Stafford, either remain onboard or change for Liverpool LM service to Crewe.

Crewe - Huddersfield Anytime Return £7.95 PRIV
Freedom of North East 4-in-8-Days Rover £22.00 PRIV

Huddersfield - Teesside Airport Anytime Return is only £14.60 if you fancy just a return and no roaming around.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually if you do Crewe - Manchester Stns and Manchester Stns - Teesside Airport with Anytime Returns, that only comes to a total of £22.15
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
The station might not be there for too much longer either...
I get the feeling that the airport is on its last legs.

I think it only has a three of routes left (Aberdeen and Amsterdam, with summer services to Jersey) and a few charter flights. Today, for example, there were only seven departures.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
In that case, my first suggestion is:

Get the Trent Valley LM to Stafford, either remain onboard or change for Liverpool LM service to Crewe.

Crewe - Huddersfield Anytime Return £7.95 PRIV
Freedom of North East 4-in-8-Days Rover £22.00 PRIV

Huddersfield - Teesside Airport Anytime Return is only £14.60 if you fancy just a return and no roaming around.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually if you do Crewe - Manchester Stns and Manchester Stns - Teesside Airport with Anytime Returns, that only comes to a total of £22.15

Many thanks, that seems very good value! Is there any way to make the route valid via Darlington as me and my mate want to overnight there rather than Manchester? (Apologies if it is already valid that way, my Railway geography is pretty poor!) I don't have plans to roam about, just want to check out the station and get the next train away!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I can't check at the moment, but I will be astonished if they (all the tickets I have mentioned) are not all valid via Darlington and Middlesbrough.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
A Freedom of North East rover can be used to Darlington, here's a map of the validity

Thank you for that, I was more wondering about the second combination that BB21 had suggested, but I guess even without the rover it works out very good value!
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Many thanks, that seems very good value! Is there any way to make the route valid via Darlington as me and my mate want to overnight there rather than Manchester? (Apologies if it is already valid that way, my Railway geography is pretty poor!) I don't have plans to roam about, just want to check out the station and get the next train away!
Travelling to Teesside Airport via Darlington is less than three miles longer than via Yarm. So if the ticket is routed Any Permitted, it will be valid.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Even cheaper, Liverpool Stns - Teesside Airport or Middlesbrough is only £21.15 on PRIV. These are all Anytime Returns so the outward is valid for five days.

That is if you fancy going around the end of the world to save £1.;)
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Travelling to Teesside Airport via Darlington is less than three miles longer than via Yarm. So if the ticket is routed Any Permitted, it will be valid.

Thank you for that! :D

Even cheaper, Liverpool Stns - Teesside Airport or Middlesbrough is only £21.15 on PRIV. These are all Anytime Returns so the outward is valid for five days.

That is if you fancy going around the end of the world to save £1.;)

Hmm maybe not, I would do it if I was travelling on my own (as I'm a tight git!) but I don't want to burden Causton with an overly long Journey! ;)
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Enjoy Teesside Airport. It's a pity there is no access to that A road which it backs on to. Still to drive between the hangars and see planes a bit more up close than at bigger airports is quite fantastic. Please do a trip report!

PS: British Steel Redcar whilst you're up there?? ;)
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I assume that you want to get to the airport itself rather than Teesside Airport station? ;)

"Teeside Airport" can only refer to the station, the nearby airport being Durham Tees Valley Airport ;)
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Enjoy Teesside Airport. It's a pity there is no access to that A road which it backs on to. Still to drive between the hangars and see planes a bit more up close than at bigger airports is quite fantastic. Please do a trip report!

PS: British Steel Redcar whilst you're up there?? ;)

Thanks, I wanted to do Redcar BS but the timings don't work out apparently as I'd get stuck at Teeside Airport if I got off at both stations to have a look around! :(
 

TBY-Paul

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2013
Messages
340
Many thanks, that seems very good value! Is there any way to make the route valid via Darlington as me and my mate want to overnight there rather than Manchester? (Apologies if it is already valid that way, my Railway geography is pretty poor!) I don't have plans to roam about, just want to check out the station and get the next train away!

Looking at Northern rail timetable, you would arrive from Darlington at 10.29, and the next train (only train) would be the 12.18 back to Darlington. That's a long time to wait at any station.... But at Teesside airport Station it would seam like an eternity!!! ....
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Looking at Northern rail timetable, you would arrive from Darlington at 10.29, and the next train (only train) would be the 12.18 back to Darlington. That's a long time to wait at any station.... But at Teesside airport Station it would seam like an eternity!!! ....

Yes that's the plan, I guess I'll walk around in the surrounding area a bit just to check it out, wouldn't wait on the platform for nearly 2hrs! :lol:
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I hope that you like industrial estates then! :lol: There was a cafe at the airport when I last used it, but that was back in 2009 I think - do folk know if there's still one there?

The Oak Tree pub is about a 20 minute walk, or there's the St George - a bit lifeless but I'm sure you could get a coffee/beer if you partake in the morning! Alternatively if you're happy to just use the station once, Dinsdale station is about 45 minutes walk - you might make the 11:15 and definitely the 11:43 back to Darlington, as well as keep yourself busy!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top