• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London spotting and photting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwich

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2009
Messages
30
Location
Norwich
Hi all

Some knowledge required from London spotters please!

I've just moved down here from, er, Norwich (funnily enough!)

My local station is Anerley in SE20, which means I've plenty of other stations and lines in the vicinity.

What I'd like to know is, where I can go locally with the best chance of seeing a bit of freight? Does anyone know whether any freight ever makes it through Anerley? I've seen none to date.

In general terms, if anyone can recommend any good locations for spotting/photting local to me (interested in locos/units mix ideally), or in London generally, I'd be hugely appreciative.

I've found the overpass by Willesden Junction station to be most agreeable already, but am open to new suggestions, the more the merrier!

Thanks in advance :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
Willesden Junction. Very good for freight, especially on weekdays. There is a bridge which runs parallel to the high level lines, and over the low level lines. From this bridge you can see just about everything that goes on.

The north london line is a major freight corridor through London, but as the Gospel Oak - Stratford section is currently shut for major engineering works, freight is being sent along the Gospel Oak - Barking line instead. When the NLL fully re-opens, I'd also recommend Stratford, standing only platforms 9/10 give a good view.

Several of the Watford DC lines on the WCML also have a good view of the mainline tracks, which do see a fair amount of freight. The best stations I find are South Kenton, Harrow & Wealdstone, Headstone Lane, Hatch End, Carpender's Park and Bushey.

In south London, Wandsworth Road is good, as freight to Dollands Moor / Hoo Jn passes through here, and the footbridge on the station provides a good view of all lines, and makes a nice shot with Battersea Powerstation in the background. Freight through here tends to also head along the west london line from Willesden to Clapham, so the best stations are Imperial Wharf, West Brompton, Kensington Olympia and Shepherd's Bush. There is also a flask train which passes along this route, but it tends to run later in the evening, so you can only see it properly during the summer months.

More locally, there is some freight which heads from Clapham and south in the East Croydon direction. This can either go via Selhurst or Crystal Palace. I'm not so familiar with this traffic, but there isn't as much as on the NLL!

I don't think any freight is booked to go through Anerley, but there might be the occasional engineers train if you're lucky.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
The problem with Anerley is that it is on the line to London Bridge, and soon the East London Line. Realistically you won't get any freight through either the ELL or the Snow Hill tunnel, so unless you can find some bound for (or from) Charing Cross you are unlikely to encounter any.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
Hi all

Some knowledge required from London spotters please!

I've just moved down here from, er, Norwich (funnily enough!)

My local station is Anerley in SE20, which means I've plenty of other stations and lines in the vicinity.

What I'd like to know is, where I can go locally with the best chance of seeing a bit of freight? Does anyone know whether any freight ever makes it through Anerley? I've seen none to date.

In general terms, if anyone can recommend any good locations for spotting/photting local to me (interested in locos/units mix ideally), or in London generally, I'd be hugely appreciative.

I've found the overpass by Willesden Junction station to be most agreeable already, but am open to new suggestions, the more the merrier!

Thanks in advance :)

You may see me if your out and about. :)
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Just a word about Wandsworth Road, good location yes, good area, no. Not a good place to be on your own with expensive camera gear hanging round your neck.
 
Joined
4 May 2009
Messages
275
I think wandsworth road is ok yeah your right not an nice area but then it could happen anywhere really.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top