• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London-Southampton May 25th

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I think we need to get it out of our head that the Railway is still somehow a public service. It hasn't been since privatisation and is highly unlikely to be back to that state in the near future.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Advance fares are not really about fill empty seats any more on many routes. It is just another tool for the TOCs to maximise revenue. The system is a bit silly at the moment in some sense, but then nothing is going to be perfect and cater for everyone's needs.

Even SWT realises what a boring place Southampton is and actively discourages people from going there. ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I think we need to get it out of our head that the Railway is still somehow a public service. It hasn't been since privatisation and is highly unlikely to be back to that state in the near future.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I think it goes back to before privatisation, to the days when BR were foprced to becoem a business led railway in around 1984.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Advance fares are not really about fill empty seats any more on many routes. It is just another tool for the TOCs to maximise revenue. The system is a bit silly at the moment in some sense, but then nothing is going to be perfect and cater for everyone's needs.

Spot on. As I said earlier, if if cheaper Advances were introduced between Southampton and London, the net result would be lower revenue overall.

It has nothing to do with filling up empty seats. It is all about the bottom line. These are business decisions based on data that is commercially sensitive, but I have little doubt that if a TOC thought there was adidtional money to be made, they would do whatever they could to make that money.
 

AndyLandy

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2011
Messages
1,323
Location
Southampton, UK
Even SWT realises what a boring place Southampton is and actively discourages people from going there. ;)

Then perhaps they'd like to consider cheaper fares in the other direction. Y'know, to encourage us to get away from Southampton and go somewhere nicer! ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top