shredder1
Established Member
London Region, East and Central. Wednesday 28th December 2016.
The second full day of my London visit, the railways were using a Saturday timetable, , but still applying peak restrictions in the morning period, plus the fact engineering services were taking place, made for a poor service for customers, the price we pay for a semi-privatised mismatched network I suppose. So my first train out from Sandy, at a realistic fare was the 09.16, which got me into the City just a little before 10.00.
Because of the late start I was limited in how far I could travel in the day, but fortunately there is always so much to see in London and despite having travelled on every line in the region, I`m still more than happy to revisit locations and traverse lines again. After the obligatory photoshoot at Kings Cross, there`s always something of interest to see, I made my way to the underground and took a tube to Liverpool Street as I wanted to see the new Overground services now operating from the terminus.
On 31 May 2015 the Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Cheshunt (via Seven Sisters) and Chingford services, as well as the Romford to Upminster service, were transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia to Transport for London to become part of the London Overground network.
The class 90`s were not operating on the Norwich trains though because of engineering works. I took an Overground service out to Bethnal Green and changed for Hackney Downs; I then walked across the connecting bridge to Hackney Central and boarded another Overground service to Stratford to spend a little time there. It was a foggy morning, but lent itself to some atmospheric photography.
After an hour at Stratford, with no freight and no class 90`s passing through the station, I took a Central Line tube out to Hainault, because I wanted to see if I could get some photographs of the depot there, but the view was restricted and I was limited in what I could see. I returned to Stratford and caught a Docklands Light Railway service under the River, and down to Woolwich Arsenal, returning to the split level Canning Town station and then another Dockland train from the high level platform to Canary Wharf, returning to Limehouse where I changed for a National Express service into London Fenchurch Street.
Grabbing a bite to eat at Tower Hill, I next negotiated the Underground to London Blackfriars, as I was still interested in photographing some more Thameslink 319`s and the new 700`s, I could really do with another day on a Thameslink day rover and spend some more time at East Croydon before the 319`s finish. From Blackfriars I caught a Thameslink service back under the tunnels to St Pancras International and went above ground to look at the new Eurostar`s, retuning to Kings Cross for the journey back up to Sandy on a Great Northern Electrostar. An enjoyable day in all, despite the late start. Hope you enjoy the photographs as usual.
https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...03679067149.1073742607.100001125840218&type=3
The second full day of my London visit, the railways were using a Saturday timetable, , but still applying peak restrictions in the morning period, plus the fact engineering services were taking place, made for a poor service for customers, the price we pay for a semi-privatised mismatched network I suppose. So my first train out from Sandy, at a realistic fare was the 09.16, which got me into the City just a little before 10.00.
Because of the late start I was limited in how far I could travel in the day, but fortunately there is always so much to see in London and despite having travelled on every line in the region, I`m still more than happy to revisit locations and traverse lines again. After the obligatory photoshoot at Kings Cross, there`s always something of interest to see, I made my way to the underground and took a tube to Liverpool Street as I wanted to see the new Overground services now operating from the terminus.
On 31 May 2015 the Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Cheshunt (via Seven Sisters) and Chingford services, as well as the Romford to Upminster service, were transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia to Transport for London to become part of the London Overground network.
The class 90`s were not operating on the Norwich trains though because of engineering works. I took an Overground service out to Bethnal Green and changed for Hackney Downs; I then walked across the connecting bridge to Hackney Central and boarded another Overground service to Stratford to spend a little time there. It was a foggy morning, but lent itself to some atmospheric photography.
After an hour at Stratford, with no freight and no class 90`s passing through the station, I took a Central Line tube out to Hainault, because I wanted to see if I could get some photographs of the depot there, but the view was restricted and I was limited in what I could see. I returned to Stratford and caught a Docklands Light Railway service under the River, and down to Woolwich Arsenal, returning to the split level Canning Town station and then another Dockland train from the high level platform to Canary Wharf, returning to Limehouse where I changed for a National Express service into London Fenchurch Street.
Grabbing a bite to eat at Tower Hill, I next negotiated the Underground to London Blackfriars, as I was still interested in photographing some more Thameslink 319`s and the new 700`s, I could really do with another day on a Thameslink day rover and spend some more time at East Croydon before the 319`s finish. From Blackfriars I caught a Thameslink service back under the tunnels to St Pancras International and went above ground to look at the new Eurostar`s, retuning to Kings Cross for the journey back up to Sandy on a Great Northern Electrostar. An enjoyable day in all, despite the late start. Hope you enjoy the photographs as usual.
https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...03679067149.1073742607.100001125840218&type=3
