• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London orbit on Overground - what is the correct fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLJR

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Messages
225
Location
Pimlico
If I go all the way around the London Overground, getting on at Clapham Junction and getting off there too, what is the correct fare using Oyster?

Would touching out and then in again at Highbury & Islington suffice?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
There is no fare for Clapham Jn to Clapham Jn.

Yes, if you touch out and back in at Highbury & Islington (you'd need to change there, or Canonbury, anyway) that'd be fine. That will cost you £1.70 (M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900) or £1.50 (at any time) each way.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
If you only touch in and out at Clapham Junction you will be charged two maximum cash fares.
 

londiscape

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2013
Messages
296
Location
SW London
I'm sure I remember seeing pink readers at Highbury and Islington (although I can't recall exactly where they are) - would a tap on these suffice rather than going all the way to the gateline and exiting/entering?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
No. Pink readers do not result in you being touched in or out if you are already in the system.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I'm sure I remember seeing pink readers at Highbury and Islington (although I can't recall exactly where they are) - would a tap on these suffice rather than going all the way to the gateline and exiting/entering?

Highly unlikely, because IIRC the route validators only work in conjunction with recognised A <> B station pairs. There won't be a Clapham Jn to Clapham Jn fare in the system.

Depending what else you are doing on the day, and where you are starting from, a paper travelcard may be a far safer option.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,732
Location
Scotland
No. Pink readers do not result in you being touched in or out if you are already in the system.
So would it be touch out at Highbury and Islington, wait 10 minutes, then touch back in?
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
So would it be touch out at Highbury and Islington, wait 10 minutes, then touch back in?

No need to wait 10 minutes. No need to wait at all.
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
I'm sure I remember seeing pink readers at Highbury and Islington (although I can't recall exactly where they are) - would a tap on these suffice rather than going all the way to the gateline and exiting/entering?

They're down on the platforms, by the staircases to the concourse.

You know, it's an interesting thought; I kind of wish someone would have the guts to try it! It is probably true that it wouldn't prevent the charging of two incomplete journeys. However, my thinking is that in an ideal world, one could then phone Oyster customer services and request a refund for the overpayment, such that the final amount charged is merely that of one journey. The passenger would, after all, have complied with all instructions given for how to use an Oyster card, and there's nothing I've seen from TfL that explicitly says making a round trip to the starting station is against the T&Cs or anything.

Like I say, that's in an ideal world. I suppose that if nothing else, I'd be interested to know what an Oyster CSC agent would say in response to an attempt to get a refund in such a situation – e.g. what excuse they might use to decline such a refund.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
I thought touch out and straight back in caused issues?

It can if the station is part of an engineering work emergency OSI, though I'm reliably informed that the helpdesk will refund overcharges in that case. Contactless will work anyway because the back-office breaks OSIs to avoid exceeding maximum journey time.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
"Fixing" the "issue" would probably be quite complex and may cause other problems. It's only a problem for a tiny number of rail enthusiasts, it (obviously) isn't a problem for anyone simply using the services for transit!
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,313
The time limit for zone 1 journeys is 90 minutes, so you would have time to do an extra lap of the Circle line if you really wanted to.
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
There is no fare for Clapham Jn to Clapham Jn.

Yes, if you touch out and back in at Highbury & Islington (you'd need to change there, or Canonbury, anyway) that'd be fine. That will cost you £1.70 (M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900) or £1.50 (at any time) each way.

I suppose it has to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're avoiding zone 1 on both the out and back journeys.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
I suppose it has to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're avoiding zone 1 on both the out and back journeys.

I suspect you'd have trouble not going through any barriers that would suggest a Zone 1 route if you were going via Zone 1.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Shoreditch High St is in Zone 1. You can go via Shoreditch High St, Surrey Quays and Peckham Rye and you will be given the benefit of the doubt.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Shoreditch High St is in Zone 1. You can go via Shoreditch High St, Surrey Quays and Peckham Rye and you will be given the benefit of the doubt.

So it is. Must be one of the few journeys to go through Shoreditch to not assume Zone 1.
 

Spurs

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2015
Messages
111
"Fixing" the "issue" would probably be quite complex and may cause other problems. It's only a problem for a tiny number of rail enthusiasts, it (obviously) isn't a problem for anyone simply using the services for transit!

I've had it on one occasion when I needed to go from home to pick up a child who was being dropped off at another station, then take them home again. Rare I admit but it's not implausible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top