• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,972
Location
Northampton
All this seems poor in comparison to not that long ago, in B.R. days. The first time I had lunch on a train was on a Paddington - West of England H.S.T.. I think that meals were only available to 1st class ticket holders, and of course you had to pay extra (but I was on expenses...).
The meal I selected was Roast beef, Yorkshire and vegetables and all seemed to have been freshly cooked - there were chefs who could do that in those days. The TRFB was fairly quiet, and after I had cleared my plate the steward returned carrying a baking tray containing beef and gravy and asked if I wanted any more - an offer I couldn't refuse. But I hadn't been so cheeky as to ask, it was offered.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,293
All this seems poor in comparison to not that long ago, in B.R. days. The first time I had lunch on a train was on a Paddington - West of England H.S.T.. I think that meals were only available to 1st class ticket holders, and of course you had to pay extra (but I was on expenses...).
The meal I selected was Roast beef, Yorkshire and vegetables and all seemed to have been freshly cooked - there were chefs who could do that in those days. The TRFB was fairly quiet, and after I had cleared my plate the steward returned carrying a baking tray containing beef and gravy and asked if I wanted any more - an offer I couldn't refuse. But I hadn't been so cheeky as to ask, it was offered.
BR restaurant cars were always available to standard class ticket holders space permitting iirc. This only started to end on privatisation. GWR Pullman dining is the exception.

It’s one of the problems with ‘free’ catering in first class. The incentive is to the reduce the quality and quantity of the complimentary items.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,924
BR restaurant cars were always available to standard class ticket holders space permitting iirc. This only started to end on privatisation. GWR Pullman dining is the exception.

It’s one of the problems with ‘free’ catering in first class. The incentive is to the reduce the quality and quantity of the complimentary items.
GNER were the same, you could dine on a standard ticket. It survived into NXEC days, in 2008 I did Peterborough to Newcastle in first class for the cost of a full English.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Why on earth would you ask for seconds? Would you ask for two starters, or two main courses in a restaurant, for example?

If you’re brazen enough to do so, the answer will depend on the person serving you, and whether they like you or not. However it seems a strange question to ask, and an even stranger one to consider “the greatest outstanding issue” regarding LNER first class.

I strongly suspect “can I have seconds” is a question the vast majority of LNER first class passengers would never dream of asking in the first place, the answer to which will vary, and won’t trouble the organisation either way.
The point is you shouldn't have to ask for seconds they should be asking if you would like another as a matter of course ?

Let's face it it's supposed to be a breakfast and 297 calories is hardly a substantial offering when compared to the plated derivative .

As I alluded to upthread perhaps they should have call buttons like onboard Aircraft so you can order what you like when you like ?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,293
GNER were the same, you could dine on a standard ticket. It survived into NXEC days, in 2008 I did Peterborough to Newcastle in first class for the cost of a full English.
Of course you are correct. I’d forgotten. I did a trip to make use of it before it ceased now you remind me!
 

800Travel

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2023
Messages
658
Location
UK
The point is you shouldn't have to ask for seconds they should be asking if you would like another as a matter of course ?

Let's face it it's supposed to be a breakfast and 297 calories is hardly a substantial offering when compared to the plated derivative .

As I alluded to upthread perhaps they should have call buttons like onboard Aircraft so you can order what you like when you like ?
Or as a, probably relatively simple, alternative they could add first class service to the let’s eat at your seat - and then they wouldn’t need to fit hardware to the trains other than perhaps providing tablets or something to staff in the galley
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,014
Location
here to eternity
Not highlighting any particular post but discussion here should be confined to discussing the current LNER First Class Service. :)

thanks
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Not a food question like most of the posts here, but just as important for my next journey - Are the MK4s as good for internet / power as the Azumas?

I've been looking into taking a nostalgic trip when I head down to London on Tuesday and there is a singular itinerary that suits my requirements - 15:18 TPE Durham - Leeds, 16:45 Leeds - Kings Cross. I will be needing to do work on the trains though, since I don't get first travel to do nothing. My recollection from the Mallard sets as was was they were perfectly fine but I'm not sure if that's changed? This is probably the last time after several years I'll be behind a Cl 91 on a Mk 4 so important to me.

Would also be handy to know the likelihood of any issues with either the 15:18 running or the 16:45 being a MK4 set if anyone knows. I think they're both OK there but it'd be good to be sure. Our finance team know I like trains so I should be fine with this sneaky diversion as it's only about £30 more with split savings...
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,293
Not a food question like most of the posts here, but just as important for my next journey - Are the MK4s as good for internet / power as the Azumas?

I've been looking into taking a nostalgic trip when I head down to London on Tuesday and there is a singular itinerary that suits my requirements - 15:18 TPE Durham - Leeds, 16:45 Leeds - Kings Cross. I will be needing to do work on the trains though, since I don't get first travel to do nothing. My recollection from the Mallard sets as was was they were perfectly fine but I'm not sure if that's changed? This is probably the last time after several years I'll be behind a Cl 91 on a Mk 4 so important to me.

Would also be handy to know the likelihood of any issues with either the 15:18 running or the 16:45 being a MK4 set if anyone knows. I think they're both OK there but it'd be good to be sure. Our finance team know I like trains so I should be fine with this sneaky diversion as it's only about £30 more with split savings...
Never had a problem with power in a mk4 but best to have a real plug not just a usb plug. It maybe that some sockets don’t work so you may need to move seats. Test your plug before getting settled in.

IIRC Lner allocated train sets show on real time trains on the day so you should be able to check what’s on your desired train.

Diagrams are on the 225 website
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,295
Location
East Midlands
Not a food question like most of the posts here, but just as important for my next journey - Are the MK4s as good for internet / power as the Azumas?

I've been looking into taking a nostalgic trip when I head down to London on Tuesday and there is a singular itinerary that suits my requirements - 15:18 TPE Durham - Leeds, 16:45 Leeds - Kings Cross. I will be needing to do work on the trains though, since I don't get first travel to do nothing. My recollection from the Mallard sets as was was they were perfectly fine but I'm not sure if that's changed? This is probably the last time after several years I'll be behind a Cl 91 on a Mk 4 so important to me.

Would also be handy to know the likelihood of any issues with either the 15:18 running or the 16:45 being a MK4 set if anyone knows. I think they're both OK there but it'd be good to be sure. Our finance team know I like trains so I should be fine with this sneaky diversion as it's only about £30 more with split savings...
I travel moderately frequently between Grantham and Leeds in 1st on the MK4 sets and the power supply has always been fine, and the mobile signal is pretty good (better than most lines and better than most other carriage types). Don't know about the WiFi, I never bother and always use the mobile signal.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,795
WiFi is generally fine but power can be abit hit and miss. If one socket doesn't work try the other side of the train, and mention the problem to the guard as they can usually reset it. There are no USB sockets on the Mark 4s.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,514
Location
London
Wifi is better than some operators, but you'll work far better with a phone hotspot. Agree with others, power normally works but there is a non-zero chance of a broken socket or two.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
I reckon Mk4s are usually slightly better for power overall as a) they don't have the issue where some phone screens get very glitchy whilst plugged in and b) they also maintain power through neutral sections unlike Azuma's where it cuts out immediately.
 

Lifelong

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2019
Messages
117
Hi all, quick question - thinking about upgrading our standard ticket for today’s 1630, which we are taking to Newark. What does the first class offer look like in terms of food and drink for that part of that train please? Cheers
 

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,370
Hi all, quick question - thinking about upgrading our standard ticket for today’s 1630, which we are taking to Newark. What does the first class offer look like in terms of food and drink for that part of that train please? Cheers
Is your journey more or less than an hour?

Edit: I'm assuming you mean the 16:30 from King's Cross, so ~1:15.

I got a roll, crisps, a chocolate pot and a cold and hot drink yesterday, so I'd expect something similar. I don't know if you can have alcohol on top of the other two drinks or if that's instead of one of them.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Is your journey more or less than an hour?

Edit: I'm assuming you mean the 16:30 from King's Cross, so ~1:15.

I got a roll, crisps, a chocolate pot and a cold and hot drink yesterday, so I'd expect something similar. I don't know if you can have alcohol on top of the other two drinks or if that's instead of one of them.
Alcohol is offered as part of the “cold drink” service, but they have a decent enough selection of alcohol available.

In terms of food, this is the only menu being offered on LNER at the moment:

 

Retorus

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
340
I reckon Mk4s are usually slightly better for power overall as a) they don't have the issue where some phone screens get very glitchy whilst plugged in and b) they also maintain power through neutral sections unlike Azuma's where it cuts out immediately.
Oh, is that a thing? I did wonder why mine started behaving bizarrely. :lol:
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Glitchy phone screen was in evidence. Aboard my service yesterday. As for a short time, was the offer of festive ketchup. No one sitting anywhere near me was remotely interested in said delicacy, I wonder just how much wastage they're getting on it? I thought the chicken stuffing roll was actually very bland and was glad that I only viewed it as a light snack rather than my actual lunch, which consisted of some rather yummy noodles before departure from Edinburgh
But the lemonade and milky tea came fairly regularly. Although all packed up by around the Peterborough area, service was non-stop from York
 

800Travel

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2023
Messages
658
Location
UK
Glitchy phone screen was in evidence. Aboard my service yesterday. As for a short time, was the offer of festive ketchup. No one sitting anywhere near me was remotely interested in said delicacy, I wonder just how much wastage they're getting on it? I thought the chicken stuffing roll was actually very bland and was glad that I only viewed it as a light snack rather than my actual lunch, which consisted of some rather yummy noodles before departure from Edinburgh
But the lemonade and milky tea came fairly regularly. Although all packed up by around the Peterborough area, service was non-stop from York
The Chicken Stuffing Roll seems to be quite underfilled, especially compared to when I had it first. Maybe it was just a one off - but when I was handed it last time, I thought they'd cut a brioche bun wrapped it, and forgotten to fill it!
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,014
Location
here to eternity
Another reminder that the thread is for discussion of the LNER First Class food and drink service not the wi-fi or power. :)

thanks
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
The Chicken Stuffing Roll seems to be quite underfilled, especially compared to when I had it first. Maybe it was just a one off - but when I was handed it last time, I thought they'd cut a brioche bun wrapped it, and forgotten to fill it!
A similar experience here and I could have done with a squirt of mayonnaise to go in it. The roll itself was actually decent quality and puts brioche rolls offered as part of many supermarket meal deals to shame The obvious absence for me at any rate from a festive menu was the offer of a warm mince pie or a small individually wrapped piece of fruitcake, but it's clear that they are simply trying to cut as many corners as they can here. And the Geordie crew who took over at Newcastle said that the general opinion of the travelling public is that they are unimpressed and the presence of various station. Hot food on board services even in first class has taken a sharp rise since the middle of the week
 

Porty

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2020
Messages
277
Location
Edinburgh
Hi all, quick question - thinking about upgrading our standard ticket for today’s 1630, which we are taking to Newark. What does the first class offer look like in terms of food and drink for that part of that train please? Cheers
Until 6th Jan it's the Christmas menu i.e. a poorer quality service overall as I understand it. From 7th Jan it's the "normal" service with a better offering on weekdays.

Full details of every trains menu can be found on the website/app with a bit of an effort - it's not that obvious.

For example the 0830 ex Edinburgh is the last service with the full breakfast. Very nice to be having this served to one's seat between Dunbar and Berwick enjoying the cliff top views.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Sampled the Festive Menu on the 1430 Edinburgh to Leuchars yesterday.

When I saw the sausage roll was not of the "jumbo" variety I selected my old favourite the Chicken Brioche Roll accompanied by Crisps Biscuits Chocolate Pot Coffee and Whisky.

Didn't get offered a Chocolate :'( - but for an eight pound odd ticket a veritable bargain.


Return journey this Morning 0922 and I experienced the Breakfast Menu.

Bacon Roll , Banana, Orange Juice and Coffee not substantial by any metric but okay for an eight pound odd short hop. What a hypocrite I didn't ask for a second after my daughter chastised me last night and reminded me how much the tickets cost (she is a regular on the £8 special)

However I maintain that if on a longer journey you should be offered a second. However the catering crew changed at Haymarket and if going onto London I imagine you would have got the All day Menu further down the line? if this is the case passengers Boarding at Aberdeen should in my view be offered a couple of Rolls as a matter of course.

Well done LNER.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,709
Location
Burgess Hill
However the catering crew changed at Haymarket and if going onto London I imagine you would have got the All day Menu further down the line? if this is the case passengers Boarding at Aberdeen should in my view be offered a couple of Rolls as a matter of course.
I've had 3 separate meal services when doing Aberdeen to London (no attempt to pretend I was joining enroute by changing seats or anything like that like some do!), but obviously my one journey is not representative of every passenger's experience.
 

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
883
Location
Bridport
Can you ask your acquaintance what the official policy of doing an "Oliver Twist" on the Bacon Rolls is ?

To me this is the greatest outstanding issue that needs to be resolved with LNER 1st Class Catering.

Is it unreasonable to expect and be asked for your desired quantity of said item in lieu of a proper breakfast ?

Not sure if they have a twitter account (I'm not on it) but has anyone ever asked the question on there ?

"Christmas Scrooges at LNER deny traveller a 2nd Bacon Roll after he shells out £100 odd for a ticket"

Perhaps this would force their hand to publicly concede guests are welcome to ask for a second ?

I shelled out £155.00 for a ticket, am sure some have paid £330 from Inverness to London on same day.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Very good and attentive crew on the 19:00 from King’s Cross to Edinburgh this evening. All very friendly and talkative even though the service was very busy.

Crisps and water were handed out on departure from King’s Cross, followed by food orders with an option of another packet of crisps and a dessert pot. I opted for the Bombay Potato Salad as none of the Christmas items took my fancy. Compared to some of the other things before, the potato salad was rather filling due to it being similar in size to a Tesco or Sainsbury’s Pasta Meal Deal portion. The dessert pot was also very nice.

This was closely followed by a round of cold drinks, then a rubbish run. Hot drinks came at Peterborough (after food had been handed out), with further cold drinks after Retford and hot drinks after York. During the journey, a host came down with a basket of LNER branded chocolates, which was a nice touch, and there was a further cold drinks between York and Darlington.

Unfortunately because of cancellations relating to a fatality at Hitchin earlier in the day, the catering crew weren’t able to make it down from Edinburgh. Even then if I was offered anything I wouldn’t have taken it as what I got offered was enough to fill me.
 

Discuss223

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2024
Messages
375
Location
Rowsley
The menu from January the 7th is now up on the LNER website. It's similar to before but some menus have new additions, such as Pearl Barley Risotto (dish & dine) and Tolouse Sausage & Mash (dine).
 

800Travel

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2023
Messages
658
Location
UK
The menu from January the 7th is now up on the LNER website. It's similar to before but some menus have new additions, such as Pearl Barley Risotto (dish & dine) and Tolouse Sausage & Mash (dine).
It's the same menus as it was prior to the 'festive feast' I think - for DINE at least it's dated Sept 2024 on the menu PDF.
 

Top