Most definitely, the raspberry pot was also deliciousIt is but the chocolate pot is better!![]()
Most definitely, the raspberry pot was also deliciousIt is but the chocolate pot is better!![]()
Pork isn't a "white meat" even if it is paler than beef or lamb.The vast majority will eat pork. As a white meat it's supposedly 'healthier' than red meat.
Is chicken curry 'pretty universally popular'? I don't like curries in the slightest, and doubt I'm alone.
Red meat includes beef, lamb, mutton, pork, veal, venison and goat.
The London crew and the Scottish one sound particularly bad here, I guess they didn't think they could manage a full service between the top end of Fife and effectively Montrose as that's usually when catering shuts down for cleaning and stock tank etc.
When did Senior Hosts get axed? I thought they still existed?I can't help but feel part of the reason for how many runs are done is the removal (apart from I think a few people who still hold that position?) of the Senior Host (I think that was the title) position.
Used to be that the Train Manager was responsible for the safety critical stuff and checking/selling tickets. There was then a Senior Host who used to handle the catering and organised the catering team to deliver the first and standard class catering service. That's why you used to get two announcements by two different people on departure from a station. The first was the Train Manager advising on calling points and whatnot, the second the Senior Host advising on catering.
When the Senior Host was axed the organisation for delivering the catering service seemed to fall onto the TMs and I think they take a varying view as to its importance considering their other important duties! For instance if the TM is up in coaches A, B or C doing tickets or dispatching the train, they can't exactly nip down to coach M to make sure that the first class drinks run has taken place.
Obviously the majority of LNER staff still do a good job and deliver excellent service but there does feel like there's a lot more variety. Used to be you could be fairly certain that the drinks trolley would appear after nearly every station (unless they were very close together like say Darlington and Northallerton heading south) and food would rock up after major stations (though often someone would go around collecting hot food orders after every station). Even on long non-stop runs like say York to Kings Cross I would say it was quite typical to see the drinks trolley two or even three times.
Now it's much more of a guessing game. I've been on services which had one run of food and drink on a none stop Kings Cross to York service, but others where the drinks came round three times and the food trolley twice! I've been on services from Darlington where nothing was served until departure from York, but others where my drinks order was taken as we were pulling out of Darlington and breakfast arrived before Northallerton!
Typically though it lands somewhere in the middle. But it's that predicting which is tricky, the lack of consistency has become so much worse since Covid. I think the worst experience I've had was doing Darlington to Edinburgh on an alleged Dine train where the only service was after Newcastle and that was just one run of cold drinks and snacks (not even sandwiches!). Now, I didn't honestly expect the full Dine menu to appear but it was poor enough I complained and got £20 back no quibble.
Oh did they get a reprieve? I could have sworn VTEC or early LNER did away with them in the 2018/19 sort of time period?When did Senior Hosts get axed? I thought they still existed?
Nope, still there, think they are actually know as Customer Experiene Leader, same role as a SH, but just different title.Oh did they get a reprieve? I could have sworn VTEC or early LNER did away with them in the 2018/19 sort of time period?
Ah I shall strike through my post!Nope, still there, think they are actually know as Customer Experiene Leader, same role as a SH, but just different title.
CEL are also responsible for safety in front 5 of a 10 car set.
That's excellent. I sometimes wonder if there's a chance of only being offered once!It was a couple of weeks ago that I took an Aberdeen to London service. I was very impressed to get 4 helpings of food from kind and courteous crew throughout!![]()
Yes, catering crews still rostered on to services.Should there still be first class catering on services tomorrow please? Unsure given starting/terminating at St Neots. Thanks
This is the norm for Newcastle crews.Newcastle crew were fab, incredibly friendly, even handing out dog biscuits (to dogs, I hasten to add). Chap asked where I was travelling to and then gave me two beers when I said Aberdeen.
This is a free service that we provide for our customers who decide to buy a first-class ticket.
Although, if all 1st class catering were to end tomorrow, the tickets wouldn't be reduced in price.Unless the staff providing the at-seat service are working for nothing, and the food and drink is donated to, rather than bought by, LNER, calling this a free service is an absolute nonsense; The cost of the First Class ticket has to pay for it!
True. Although they'd probably sell fewer of them, leading to fewer purchases in the higher buckets.Although, if all 1st class catering were to end tomorrow, the tickets wouldn't be reduced in price.
British Airways has previously tried similarly nonsense lines about its catering in Club Europe (when food is pretty much the biggest substantive difference between business and economy on short haul) but seemed to eventually desist.Unless the staff providing the at-seat service are working for nothing, and the food and drink is donated to, rather than bought by, LNER, calling this a free service is an absolute nonsense; The cost of the First Class ticket has to pay for it!
There's never been alcohol at 10 am. IIRC it never used to be served until after 11am.I travelled ncl-kgx mid July on a 10am weekday departure. I was very disappointed with the first class experience, food wise had 1 half warm bacon roll for the full journey no crisps, biscuits or any other snacks offered. There were a few servings of hot drinks but I thought the coffee was disgusting, and there was one serving of cold drinks. No alcohol offered. The train started in Edinburgh and our seating area was very untidy with mess/crumbs all over the floor and seats. There was one member of staff also who wasn’t particularly very friendly and was quite abrupt with a set of foreign travellers.
I sent an email to LNER about this and their response about the catering was as follows… Please note, all our catering from drinks to hot meals are all complimentary and comes to no further cost to yourself or any other customer in first class. This is a free service that we provide for our customers who decide to buy a first-class ticket. When doing so they are paying for the seat itself and the more spacious are surrounding them; every-thing else is an amenity.
I’m not a usual first class travelling passenger but paid the extra for a treat to start our holidays. I’m quite amazed at the price for first class if all you’re entitled to is a slightly wider seat and the food is a free service? Their response to the mess was that it’s just unfortunate and didn’t even respond about the staff member.
Up to and including 10:00 from Newcastle (08:30 ex-EDB) should be Dine and the two or three following that "Brunch". The following train (09:00 ex-EDB) used to be Dine but was downgraded last year by the look of it.There's never been alcohol at 10 am. IIRC it never used to be served until after 11am.
The mid-morning trains appear to have the second worst of the menus, the Brunch Menu. For the best menu, Dine, you have to travel earlier, or later. I know that, going the other way, waiting for the 11 am service, produces the Dine menu.
For the record, I've had the bacon roll in the past, and it was very nice, Certainly better than what I'd had with Virgin. But I would much rather have the Full English....
I've experienced staff being unwilling to come out and provide the 1st class offer before and complained; I think it was £20 per person they offered as compensation.
There have been a few services each day lacking a chef for at least the last month which is disappointing given they’ve cut back the number of Dine services already.I took the 20:00 Kings Cross to Newcastle yesterday with a Geordie crew. It was fairly decent - three drinks runs and a food run (which was actually the Dish menu as advertised).
The Homity Pie was actually served hot (I had one on the Chieftain a couple of months back which was weirdly lukewarm) and came with the dressing (which it didn't on the Chieftain either).
Crew were friendly enough but also seemed like they couldn't wait to get off and go home. Not that I exactly blame them when it was a late service.
Notably tonight it looks like the 17:30, 18:00 and 18:30 services tonight from Kings Cross have no chef. Not exactly a great look when you can't deliver the full offer on what will be some of the most expensive services of the day.
The menus are on the website.Up to and including 10:00 from Newcastle (08:30 ex-EDB) should be Dine and the two or three following that "Brunch". The following train (09:00 ex-EDB) used to be Dine but was downgraded last year by the look of it.
I asked and never got a response on here as to what the difference is between Brunch and Dine or Brunch and Dish!
And have been there for several years!The menus are on the website.
You'd be offered food on departure from Newcastle, with another opportunity to get food after Edinburgh if that's what you'd prefer. If you decide to split the journey, there would be nothing stopping you eating on both legs. The Inverness train is Dish on all days (see https://www.lner.co.uk/globalassets/july-2024-first-class-menus-north.pdf)Newcastle to Inverness (Saturday)
What time would the snacks / meal be served on a journey from NCL - INV, travelling on the LNER direct service, leaving NCl at 14:45 (The Highland Chieftain ?
My wife and I are travelling to Inverness in January, hence the question.
Although we may take this train, we might actually opt to leave Newcastle an hour or so earlier, then catch the Hightland Chieftain from Edinburgh. We have friends in Edinburgh, so we would then have an opportunity of seeing them on our way up north.
Is it the dish menu on this service ? (Saturday travel day)
So NCL-INV it's one meal after either Newcastle or EdinburghYou'd be offered food on departure from Newcastle, with another opportunity to get food after Edinburgh if that's what you'd prefer. If you decide to split the journey, there would be nothing stopping you eating on both legs. The Inverness train is Dish on all days (see https://www.lner.co.uk/globalassets/july-2024-first-class-menus-north.pdf)
So NCL-INV it's one meal after either Newcastle or Edinburgh
NCL-EDB, EDB-INV .. possibly two meals
Tough choice, but I'm supposed to be on a diet .. we'll see what happens when I book![]()