I reckon if they're going to run breakfast menu deep into lunchtime then they should start stocking a breakfast gin. They could do it with some kind of fruity tonic or something if they must.Interestingly I travelled recently from King's Cross to Doncaster on the 1130 to Edinburgh and was served lunch, then changed to the 1315 to Leeds (which had left KX three minutes after mine).
Asked for a g&t to be told that they were on the breakfast menu.
Make of that what you will!
I've found it's increasingly common to be offered a second sandwich. I'd say that given most people will refuse it and it's quite possible that the sandwiches don't have a long life on them that the cost of this is pretty minimal, and it feels a lot less uncomfortably mean.Did the 1900 from Kings Cross this Saturday just gone. Dish was the menu being served with orders taken shortly after leaving Kings Cross, two runs of both hot and cold drinks before arriving at York, a further serving of both after York and I was offered another round of sandwiches (not sure if they'd run out of hot food or were just getting rid of excess stock) as well. Biscuits and brownies being handed out without asking in some cases. My travelling companion missed out on the apple tart as they forgot to give them one but upon asking one was procured with apologies for the mistake.
Excellent service all around and so much better than pre-pandemic weekends!
Though I do wonder how LNER justify the vast amounts of single use plastic their move to having everything prepacked generates?
1st class on the Hull Executive this evening.
There does seem to be a contradiction between my first use of a senior railcard on LNER and the food portions presented before me that are clearly intended for a child.
Edit: and the red wine is really rough.
Booked on a train from Yorkshire to London recently, it was a York to Kings Cross service that stopped often. We boarded at Doncaster station.
It was advertised as the mid meal service. Which according to the menu's online should have had a hot beef stew served at our seat.
But instead we got lowest quality Deli menu, and the only hot option was a bloody sausage roll! Not exactly what I would call a meal.
And between Doncaster and Kings X, despite the fact that the train took about 2 hours and stopped often, there was just ONE drinks offering! When I enquired later in the journey as to where the drinks trolly was I was told there was some kind of new nonsense audit system and the drinks were now not available.... sounded like a load of old tosh to me!
Is this normal? And should I complain in the hope of a bit of compo in the way of rail vouchers? First Class on a two hour train journey being one drinks offering and a sausage roll is not exactly what I would call First Class.
You can complain but you'll likely just be told that the First Class offering is complementary and subject to availability. It's always been a bit hit and miss. I would be very surprised if you were offered RTVs as compensation.And should I complain in the hope of a bit of compo in the way of rail vouchers? First Class on a two hour train journey being one drinks offering and a sausage roll is not exactly what I would call First Class.
Thats a shame. I suppose I was comparing it to British Airways Club Domestic service, whereby if substandard/no catering is loaded you are routinely offered Avios as recompense.You can complain but you'll likely just be told that the First Class offering is complementary and subject to availability. It's always been a bit hit and miss. I would be very surprised if you were offered RTVs as compensation.
Last time I complained that the advertised service didn't materialise they gave me a £30 e-voucher on two tickets that had cost £60 odd combined (two together railcard discounted) so basically 50% back.You can complain but you'll likely just be told that the First Class offering is complementary and subject to availability. It's always been a bit hit and miss. I would be very surprised if you were offered RTVs as compensation.
All our catering from drinks to hot meals are all complimentary and comes to no further cost to yourself or any other customer in first class. This is a free service that we provide for our customers who decide to buy a 1st class ticket.
If there was no catering I doubt the fare price would reduce.How do LNER get away with saying that? The catering is not free at all, it is paid for from part of the First Class fare. Unless providing the service costs LNER nothing, which of course is not the case.
They should get rid of catering tomorrow then and they'd make more money. Except they don't because they obviously sense their first class ticket sales are driven to some extent by the catering. Therefore, it is absolutely included in the fare and to suggest otherwise is weasel words to say the least.If there was no catering I doubt the fare price would reduce.
You get real (albeit small) glasses, plated meals and knifes and forks on LNER.Can't answer your question, but, our on train catering is so bad here that we should just do away with it. Just come back from Austria and Germany, got beer in a real glass, and a plated hot meal at the restaurant car with knife and fork. Then back here to LNER, no restaurant car. Can of Carlsberg and a toasted sandwich. No glass, no plate. Dire.
What other duties have the staff got to carry out apart from serving customers?Thank you for contacting LNER.
We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our complimentary food service and in particular not getting the beef stew on your journey from Doncaster to London Kings Cross. I understand this must have been frustrating. Our on board staff are very busy and have a lot of duties aside from serving customers, however this is a large part of their role, they could be conducting other more time consuming business.
Quite. Not that the poster appears to have any authority to speak for LNER, so I have no idea if they are quoting/adapting anything official.What other duties have the staff got to carry out apart from serving customers?
Ugh, that looks like all the trains from Edinburgh. What the hell even is "Edinburgh Rock"? Validates my decision to fly down South this week I guess.Urgh, unfortunately LNER are cheaping out again in August and doing a "Festival" menu in first class on "selected" trains to/from/through Edinburgh. It would appear that both the trains your intending to catch are offering it. From memory it's a pretty rubbish menu compared to what those trains should be which is "Dish", however LNER don't appear to have put the "Festival" menu online that I can see.
You can find more info here on the LNER website with pdf's saying what menu is expected on each service: https://www.lner.co.uk/the-east-coast-experience/first-class/menu/