• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,119
Location
Redcar
You said LNER brought in all day hot food and alcohol, I’m saying that this option existed at least as far back as when the franchise was East Coast (follow-up operator to National Express East Coast).
Yes, on the weekend...
Weekends for example are night and day compared to before Covid. Pre-Covid all you could expect on a morning was a depressed Croissant, juice and a hot drink. Now you can get a bacon roll or vegan sausage roll. In the afternoon and evenings it was just cold sandwiches and soft drinks. Now there's hot food and alcoholic beverages. That's a very serious improvement to the offer compared to what it was before (and I believe LNER were the first to do this, Avanti followed in their wake).

;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,504
Location
Leicestershire
Thanks for that. I wasn't being greedy honest lol, and as I'm heavier than I should be I've been eating in the eight hour period between 11am and 7pm which has helped shift a few pounds.
I've been doing the same and it absolutely works, and similarly I occasionally vary the times slightly especially if there is some interesting on train catering offering involved!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Whilst I agree about the enhancements made by LNER at the weekends I would like to add that if rolls are substituted for Full English then you should be offered at least two and not as I currently understand is the case a solitary offering.

"Happy Mealesque" portions have always been apparent on Free 1st Class Catering.

This is fine when they are coming around regularly with further opportunities to "top up" but not if that's it.
 

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,167
I'm taking LNER Leuchars to London this Friday (leaving 09:22, the 07:52 service from Aberdeen; "Dish" menu) and contemplating attempting to get a first class upgrade if it's relatively cheap.

Given the length of the service, it extends through both breakfast and lunchtime - any sense of which menu I'd get?

If it's the breakfast menu, is it worth the £10 upgrade? The options don't look particularly substantial.

it's worth having a look at this FoI response from LNER.

There's about 1/3 chance of no chilled or hot food being available on morning LNER departures from Aberdeen.

The causes are said to be "inadequate Wi-Fi" and "staff lending charging cables to passengers"...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/failure_to_control_on_board_refr
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,119
Location
Redcar
As long as you don't count the grossly misleading option they used to have on the weekend called "Hot Smoked Salmon Baguette," which is called that because the salmon was cooked by "hot smoking." It is a cold item.
Absolutely! That was some real nonsense. Though I think there was still some sort of actually hot item from memory?
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I'm trying to decide between HT's bacon roll and LNER's "spinach and tomato fritatta with posh baked beans" for breakfast on a possible trip down to London in a couple of weeks.
I've had the bacon roll before but has anybody here tried the LNER offering or have any pics? Yes, I know it only came on the menu today!
Ideally I'd have the full English but LNER doesn't think I'm worth it on their direct service.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Seems several morning former Dish trains are now Dine. Including the 08:00 KGX to YRK, which I’ve booked for October. It’s confirmed then, Full LNER for me! 8-)

I had the breakfast before, pre-Covid, but after that it has never been available.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
Seems several morning former Dish trains are now Dine. Including the 08:00 KGX to YRK, which I’ve booked for October. It’s confirmed then, Full LNER for me! 8-)

I had the breakfast before, pre-Covid, but after that it has never been available.
I was a but surprised that the 14.30 ex KGX was done this week. Unfortunately after a bunch of disruption that day they didn't have any veg for the roast chicken so the curry would have been a better option, but I guess um, turns out I couldn't care less about dine
 

KGX

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2015
Messages
156
I’m not enjoying the trout on the current menu. Hopefully we are not stuck with this menu for too long. Bring back the cheese option too.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I’m not enjoying the trout on the current menu. Hopefully we are not stuck with this menu for too long. Bring back the cheese option too.
What's the problem with it? I thought I might give it a go during my trip to Edinburgh in a couple of months.

I don't think the next menu change is until December is it? That would be December when LNER's Christmas present to their pax is to take stuff away. :s
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Just looking at the latest Menus....

High Commissioner Whisky (£14 a bottle in Iceland)

Really pushing the boat out for the 100th Anniversary :'(
 

KGX

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2015
Messages
156
What's the problem with it? I thought I might give it a go during my trip to Edinburgh in a couple of months.

I don't think the next menu change is until December is it? That would be December when LNER's Christmas present to their pax is to take stuff away. :s
You should try it. I'd always say to pick the chef cooked option if you're on a dine train and don't travel regularly.
It's fine. It's just been the first chef prepared option on the dine trains that I haven't enjoyed, so I will have to stick with the beef stew. Perhaps if it wasn't served with couscous or a different sauce.
Just looking at the latest Menus....

High Commissioner Whisky (£14 a bottle in Iceland)

Really pushing the boat out for the 100th Anniversary :'(
At least the whisky (& Vodka) are in plentiful supply. Unlike the Gin, which seems to always run out. Ran out mid first bar run this week.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
At least the whisky (& Vodka) are in plentiful supply. Unlike the Gin, which seems to always run out. Ran out mid first bar run this week.
I find this a bit strange. It's never once failed to run out on any journey I've made, which has been going on for long enough that you'd think they would stock more. I mean I'd settle for them stocking some tomato juice and tabasco to liven up the vodka, or not carrying dreadful beer, or leaving me with a decent-sized glass of wine, but if the one thing they are going to get nearly right is the gin then it's going to shift faster than the other stuff.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,749
Location
Yorkshire
Really? I've always thought that it tastes of nothing....other than pure alcohol. Hence the need to flavour it with something tasty like orange juice or tonic
Indeed. I should have said I have vodka and Pepsi.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,749
Location
Yorkshire
Indeed.

Now for the "Holy Grail".....

Do you get toast with the Full Breakfast and can you have two rolls if they are the offering ?
I think I've only once travelled with LNER on a train serving breakfast and it was much later than I'd have expected it to be and it wasn't one with the full breakfast.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
I think I've only once travelled with LNER on a train serving breakfast and it was much later than I'd have expected it to be and it wasn't one with the full breakfast.

Thanks ....

The days of £11 Singles from Falkirk to Newcastle with a Railcard are long gone now.

Do they still have decent sale prices - ie what's the cheapest Edinburgh to London 1st Class Fare now ?
 

Top