• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
My advice DONT DO IT. You are supposed to get 2 meals if you are lucky. One of those is sandwiches on the rest of the day menu.

Yes you are so right. I think it will be Inverness from Birmingham Airport or Aberdeen from East Midlands airport next time.

We will be getting a full refund as we were heavily delayed on the return trip as well. We had just gone a few yards south of Newcastle when a passenger went unconscious. A Doctor was called for, so my wife (Who is Medical) went to assist. They could not reverse the train into Newcastle so a decision was made to make an additional stop at Durham for an ambulance to attend. So we missed our connection and seat reservation on the Crosscountry Voyager at York. The next Voyager turned up with 4 coaches being Friday afternoon it totally rammed and I mean totally rammed. No seats anywhere not even on the luggage rack. So we had to stand York to Derby! What a trip. They certainly owe us one!

My learning. A first open return does not guarantee any food nor a seat even if you reserve one. Oh and to rub our noses in it we found out that there is no First Class lounge at York to wait in after missing our connection.

To be fair the service is not always as bad as you experienced, you were just unlucky to an extent. At least it didn't cost you anything thanks to Delay Repay.

I bet they nearly had a coronary when your claim came through - parting with that amount of wedge would have upset them :p
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Code:
My advice DONT DO IT. You are supposed to get 2 meals if you are lucky. One of those is sandwiches on the rest of the day menu.

Yes you are so right. I think it will be Inverness from Birmingham Airport or Aberdeen from East Midlands airport next time.

We will be getting a full refund as we were heavily delayed on the return trip as well. We had just gone a few yards south of Newcastle when a passenger went unconscious. A Doctor was called for, so my wife (Who is Medical) went to assist. They could not reverse the train into Newcastle so a decision was made to make an additional stop at Durham for an ambulance to attend. So we missed our connection and seat reservation on the Crosscountry Voyager at York. The next Voyager turned up with 4 coaches being Friday afternoon it totally rammed and I mean totally rammed. No seats anywhere not even on the luggage rack. So we had to stand York to Derby! What a trip. They certainly owe us one!

My learning. A first open return does not guarantee any food nor a seat even if you reserve one. Oh and to rub our noses in it we found out that there is no First Class lounge at York to wait in after missing our connection.

I can't believe what I'm reading tbh. So, your train was delayed because some poor sod needed an ambulance and somehow this is VTEC's fault, and you're complaining about it?? Second of all why would you expect to still get your reserved seat when you weren't on the train you were supposed to be on?

You also seem to expect everything to run as smoothly as normal when there is major disruption going on with multiple cancellations. I'm not sure what that has to do with "a fragmented railway"?

And I can't work out why someone would throw away a grand on a couple of the most expensive train tickets (outside of someone who can put it on expenses), when it could have been done much, much cheaper.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,544
Location
LBK
On the 1819 ex-KGX. Just had the lamb rump. Excellent! Ticket cost £60-odd as well, not bad value at all.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Oh yes that's a good one the 1819. It's often quite quiet in first class as it's a Newcastle terminator and its slotted between two Edinburgh's. Often has reasonably prices APs as well.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Thanks for the tip gents, didnt know that train did dinner and 2 split advances x London often works out well starting on that one, just never bothered doing it as thought it was hit/miss all day offer
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Oh yes that's a good one the 1819. It's often quite quiet in first class as it's a Newcastle terminator and its slotted between two Edinburgh's. Often has reasonably prices APs as well.

Thanks for the tip gents, didnt know that train did dinner and 2 split advances x London often works out well starting on that one, just never bothered doing it as thought it was hit/miss all day offer

Yep the 1819 is a good choice, I've done the split a few times. The saving can be quite significant and with a couple of Edinburgh services on its tail the wait isn't long.


I asked again today about Christmas and was told they were working on it today. No sign of anything yet unless I've missed something.
 
Last edited:

FQTV

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Messages
1,067
I asked again today about Christmas and was told they were working on it today.

Understandable, I suppose, given that The Vatican and Lambeth Palace were so late in announcing the dates for Christmas this year.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
The following is now on the website

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.c...travel/#Christmascatering-TicketsReservations

Christmas is all about eating, so we’ll be offering some deliciously festive touches to our First Class food and drink offer on selected weekday services over the Christmas period with a simpler (but still delicious) menu available over the holiday period – see our website for details.

The Foodbar will be open throughout the festive season too, offering a whole range of drinks, snacks and hot and cold food.
Happy feasting!

Christmas might be all about eating but unless it's hiding somewhere they don't actually appear to have told us what we will be eating.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Still! And we're now what? Two working weeks out from the week in which, presumably at some stage, the service will be reduced! I refuse to believe they haven't actually worked out what the plan is they just seem to be incapable of communicating it to anyone! Even internally!
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Yes still.

They initially said they didn't know and then suddenly it was replaced with a more diplomatic one saying we are getting the information for the website.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparently a menu will make its way onto the website on Monday 12th.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,755
Location
Yorkshire
Code:

I can't believe what I'm reading tbh. So, your train was delayed because some poor sod needed an ambulance and somehow this is VTEC's fault, and you're complaining about it?? Second of all why would you expect to still get your reserved seat when you weren't on the train you were supposed to be on?

They were complaining about this meaning they'd had to stand in First Class. Having had to do that on the way up too, I'm not surprised they were rather irked.

And I can't work out why someone would throw away a grand on a couple of the most expensive train tickets (outside of someone who can put it on expenses), when it could have been done much, much cheaper.

I wouldn't presume to tell someone what to do with their disposable income just because it's not what I'd do with the money (though looks like the OP has been put off doing it again and it makes my Orient Express trip a few years ago look like a bargain).

And given they should get a full refund, it's hardly been thrown away.
 

43094

Member
Joined
19 May 2010
Messages
1,009
I was also coincidentally on the 1355 on 24th October from York to Inverness (and returned to Edinburgh on the 0755 from Inverness the day after), and also in First Class in both directions.

In fairness, I can confirm that the service was literally Full and Standing in First Class between York and Edinburgh - to the extent that people were almost left behind. There was absolutely no chance of a trolley getting through until after Edinburgh - though to be fair, that wasn't the Catering Staff's fault.

Personally, I found the catering offer after Edinburgh to be pretty good (though much needed by then).

I believe the reason it was so busy was due to the cancellation of the 1130 and 1230 from Kings Cross (the train either side) - so 3x train loads of people on one service, and extra stops for the Inverness train at Peterborough, Newark and Durham which delayed things en-route. My understanding is the first of these cancellations (1130 from London) was due to a last minute locomotive failure at Kings Cross (that service started at Newcastle instead). I can't remember why the 1230 was cancelled, though am sure I remember it being an unrelated reason.
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Website now showing the new menus.


Breakfast (Both weeks)

Great British breakfast
Bubble & Squeak
Bacon roll
Greek yoghurt
Porridge with banana

Rest of the day

BLT
Hummus & veg wrap
Sausage roll
Chicken & Tarragon sauce with rice
Pasta puttanesca

Chocolate & Hazelnut cake

Dinner

As above with Sea bream
Baked Yorkshire curd tart with rhubarb compote
Harrogate blue & Chevington cheddar

WEEK 2

Rest of the day

Ham & Mustard sandwiches
Egg & Tomato sandwiches
Sausage roll
Thai green vegetable curry with rice
Lamb & veg stew with mash

Red berry & cranberry muffin

Evening meal

As above with roast chicken
Chocolate & pear brownie with clotted cream
Yorkshire blue & mill of kintyre cheddar
 
Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Decent choices if a little bit safe, I'd be happy with that if it's delivered well.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Decent choices if a little bit safe, I'd be happy with that if it's delivered well.

Yeah the only two things I'm not keen on is the hummus wrap and the Thai curry and that's mainly due to personal taste. Other than that it's a pretty solid offering.

There is a picture of the evening mains on the website on the menu pages and both look quite good, especially the sea bream.

I'm glad they kept the sausage roll on. One because it's actually a really decent sausage roll and two when there is disruption and it all goes wrong they have dropped the other hot options but kept the sausage roll (on the services I've been on anyway) and sandwiches so at least there is one hot/warm option
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
^The sausage roll also works nicely for short hops, and for those going north of Edinburgh who don't necessarily want two meals or a sandwich.

Sadly, I'm now well out of the East Coast catchment area, but I might try and get a trip up at some point.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I see the vegetarian option for breakfast is improved - the bubble and squeak is servied with a grilled tomato and a fried egg. that will please my Dad as normally for a cooked breakfast he would want an egg, mushroom and tomato. (he doesn't eat pork so the grill is not an option for him).
PIty the smoked salmon is still missing on the east coast - I sometimes have that on my occasional trips out of Euston.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Safe as others have said but something for everyone. I think the wrisk with the pasta is that it could be iether to runny or overcooked and dry, something which I fear the onboard staff will only find out after trial and error.

Hope they keep plenty stock of the saussage rolls so the buffet can flog them as has apparently happened before.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Safe as others have said but something for everyone. I think the wrisk with the pasta is that it could be iether to runny or overcooked and dry, something which I fear the onboard staff will only find out after trial and error.

If they have any sense it will go in the bowls that they serve the porridge in at breakfast. The last couple of times I had the curry it was in a bowl and thought it was a better idea especially as the curry could be quite runny at times.

Wow, they must be something really special then :D .

They are really good quality actually. If they were available in the supermarket to bake at home I'd probably buy them.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
It would appear that the coke and Diet Coke has been reduced to 250ml cans. Tall ones the same size as a can of red bull.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
As long as the Scotch is still 5cl we'll be okay, it was on VWC coming back from Carlisle Wednesday.

Yes, you will be glad to know that spirits are still in the miniature variety. Given that we are on the new menu I assume that they have had a reprieve for the time being :D
 

Top