Blindtraveler
Established Member
- Joined
- 28 Feb 2011
- Messages
- 10,544
And indeed still does on XC and VTWC
I'm still confused on why this change has been made? The old system of a run of hot drinks followed by trolleys of food/cold drinks seemed to work perfectly well.
Apart from anything else, I would have thought it would be cheaper to give passengers a tea or coffee rather than alcohol. Very strange logic going on.
Maybe this is a way of proving complimentary catering on this franchise is unviable and scrapping or majorly changing it yet again?
Had a number of First Class trips on East Coast over the last few days. Disappointed with the new vegetarian breakfast. While the glorified mushrooms and cheese on toast is very nice indeed, I preferred the old veggie grill. No extra toast to be seen. Evening meals have been ok with a risotto and a rather good chocolate and cherry roulade. Clearly Rail Gourmet has a batch of clotted cream to use up because it's appearing on both VTEC and XC menus at the moment.
I'm sure it's been debated before but I'll ask anyway: would you prefer FREE meals even when the quality and portions can be questionable, or a traditional restaurant car where full high quality meals were served but were paid for, Pullman style?
Restaurant or at seat paid dining for me I would enjoy a guaranteed good meal rather than a guaranteed hit or miss
Have never experienced this but heard many a good thing about it.
From my admittedly limmeted knoledge of train catering logistics I would have thought a nenu featuring the likes of saussage/vedgy saussage and mash, tomato pasta with or without bacon, burger/fish and chips, soup and fresh made sandwitch, curry and rice and filled baked spuds as well as range of ice cream and cakes could be done to order by a sheff. As it is EMT already manage to offer a range of ready meals on demand so this is simply an evolution of this
I'm sure it's been debated before but I'll ask anyway: would you prefer FREE meals even when the quality and portions can be questionable, or a traditional restaurant car where full high quality meals were served but were paid for, Pullman style?
I would prefer complimentary meals. That way there is no extra charges when you board. Also there is no reason the quality should be compromised. ArrivaTrainsWales have excellent quality complimentary meals. On many quieter routes, eg into/out of Scotland, I don't think there would be a high enough demand to sustain a Pullman style service. Also complimentary onboard meals help to attract passengers who may otherwise travel standard class.
Don't forget the ATW complimentary offer is on a train which is ruinously expensive to the Welsh taxpayer via subsidy. It doesn't run to a traditional business case.
Indeed. It's also very different in terms of cost, for example the onboard upgrade for Cardiff to Shrewsbury is only £15. You're getting a fantastic quality 3 course meal with hot and soft drinks, and being able to make your journey in First Class style envious (although not branded as such) for £15.
Had a number of First Class trips on East Coast over the last few days. Disappointed with the new vegetarian breakfast. While the glorified mushrooms and cheese on toast is very nice indeed, I preferred the old veggie grill. No extra toast to be seen. Evening meals have been ok with a risotto and a rather good chocolate and cherry roulade. Clearly Rail Gourmet has a batch of clotted cream to use up because it's appearing on both VTEC and XC menus at the moment.
I'm sure it's been debated before but I'll ask anyway: would you prefer FREE meals even when the quality and portions can be questionable, or a traditional restaurant car where full high quality meals were served but were paid for, Pullman style?
If there was a restaurant car, how would you reserve your other seat while you used it? If you are going to be in there over a station call, you might get back to find someone occupying your seat.
Even cheaper with a Railcard. OT and not for further comment - ATW informed me this week that the Business Class upgrade was only available at weekends and bank holidays....
If there was a restaurant car, how would you reserve your other seat while you used it? If you are going to be in there over a station call, you might get back to find someone occupying your seat.
When developing the menu, they felt that the grill did not reflect the quality of food that they wanted to be able to offer our vegetarian customers. They worked closely with James Martin to develop the rarebit and mushroom on toast and the yoghurt and granola dishes, which they felt were dishes our First Class customers would truly enjoy.
In working with James Martin they have invested in their offer and hope that the customers can see this through the quality and provenance of the ingredients. We are sorry that this is not the case in your experience and we will take your feedback on board when developing future offers.
I was on the 1046 from Doncaster to Kings Cross yesterday, no refurbished sets within the +-1 hour time you are now offered with an Advance ticket, and the catering was disappointing.
It was still the breakfast menu, which would have suited me except for the fact that they have gotten rid of the vegetarian breakfast. I asked if they were able to prepare the breakfast as a vegetarian option as I have had this on VT before even though it isn't on the menu, but she looked at me like I was crazy.
I asked what they had that was vegetarian and the only option was porridge. Apparently they didn't have any mushroom rarebit or anything else. It was a little odd having porridge at 1115, but I wouldn't have minded if it had been warm enough. It was very poorly presented and very thick and congealed because it wasn't quite hot enough. It tasted OK, and having bananas and syrup in it is a nice idea, and it's a good thing to have as a breakfast option, but it wouldn't have been my preference (even of the things on the new, worse menu). I was offered toast after Grantham and did at least get two slices when I asked. Only 1 run of juice and 1 hot drink for Doncaster to London I thought was a bit stingy. I overheard some other passengers who boarded at Grantham (dep 1118) complaining that breakfast was the only thing on offer. I can kind of see why too, as the website is very vague and just says 'until 1100'. I tried to get an answer out of them on twitter about the threshold but they didn't seem to know.
Must try harder with that really.
The 2035 from London back to Leeds was quite good, but there was huge disruption so we were around an hour late. I got the tagine which was very tasty and not too small, but not really suitable for an evening meal, even with crisps and cake (I hadn't bought anything else in my distraction about the disruption). On the plus side the red wine was very tasty and I was given a whole bottle of it to take with me when we were arriving at Leeds.