• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
I was going to remind every why it's 'beyond' VTEC but seeing as I've done it plenty of times previously I just can't be bothered any more...

:(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
13,219
Benedict has ham, Florentine has Spinach.

Have to say, I'm really impressed with the VTWC eggs based on what I can see. I've seen a lot worse served in much better circumstances. Would very much hope to give their service a go at some point.

The scrambled egg is always excellent when I've had it. Freshly cooked and exactly the right consistency.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,309
Location
Bolton
I was going to remind every why it's 'beyond' VTEC but seeing as I've done it plenty of times previously I just can't be bothered any more...

:(

My apologies. I didn't mean to make more work for you.

I think the fact that some of the breakfast services on GR (especially considering that they run rather fewer of them than VT owing to switching to mid-morning much earlier) don't have an onboard chef is part of the problem rather than part of the explanation! At the end of the day, eggs make good breakfast ingredients. Capitalising on that where possible gains fans!
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Yep, picture attached to post 5622. Liked it very much!

Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

Looks really good, always been one of my favourite dishes and really looking forward to that rotation in the new year.
 

ATF1

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2010
Messages
14
At the end of the day, eggs make good breakfast ingredients. Capitalising on that where possible gains fans!

It's strange how this concept has grown over the past couple of decades - perhaps imported from the USA where the egg industry is very powerful? I, and most of my family and friends, either don't actually like eggs, or in some cases are allergic to them. It's become a big problem as the UK breakfast has become more and more eggcentric. I'm much happier with a decent bacon sandwich, but I guess you have to have something to keep vegetarians happy.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,395
Location
Yorks
It's strange how this concept has grown over the past couple of decades - perhaps imported from the USA where the egg industry is very powerful? I, and most of my family and friends, either don't actually like eggs, or in some cases are allergic to them. It's become a big problem as the UK breakfast has become more and more eggcentric. I'm much happier with a decent bacon sandwich, but I guess you have to have something to keep vegetarians happy.

Not heard of the phrase "Go to work on an egg" then?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,450
Location
Yorkshire
Today the only choice is a ham & egg sandwich or.... an egg sandwich.

The menu at my table promised so much more, but was apparently the wrong menu.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
Today the only choice is a ham & egg sandwich or.... an egg sandwich.

The menu at my table promised so much more, but was apparently the wrong menu.

Every thing seems to be thrown up into the air because.
1) It is a Bank Holiday
2) It is the festive period.
There does however need to be some sort of set menu put into place, as when i traveled on the West Coast this morning i was offered a hot bacon/sausage roll which i believe was from the mid morning menu and nothing else!
Sam
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
Well. I have had my toast. And have been offered a bacon sandwich. Or I could have had porridge. 0651 Retford to KGX. Seems it's 'mid morning menu' again.
The tea however tastes of tea this morning rather than the usual warm water threatened with a tea bag.
Not as busy as I thought up front this morning either, I thought this was a popular service, perhaps more people having the extra days off.

Rob
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I'm told this morning that no menus have been produced for the "Festive offer". Breakfast offer seems to be:

Bacon roll
Smoked salmon with cheese soufflé
Porridge
Croissants
Toast
Cookies and biscuits

So not too much for the hosts to reel off at every table!
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
Printed menus have appeared on my train which appear to back up the mid-morning options described by IanXC, as well as the ham and egg sandwiches previously mentioned by Yorkie.

One anomaly which I noted was the level of service on the 17:19 KGX-HUL on 22nd December. The full evening meal was being served and we had a chef on board the train, which was well beyond the normal level of service on this train, a nice surprise for my trip back to the north for Christmas. This is advertised as an 'all day menu' train (and indeed hasn't enjoyed a full hot meal service for many years).

I had steak and ale pie with mash and a ginger roulade, both of which went down really well, followed by a chocolate hand delivered by the chef! Any ideas why we had an upgraded service on that evening? There had been some disruption that day, so I wondered if we had the catering which had been intended for a delayed/cancelled train.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1333.jpg
    DSC_1333.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 49

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Have East Coast ever served Britvic Orange Juice in Cans as opposed to the product dispensed into a Jug ?

The reason I ask is that between Sandwell & Dudley and Birmingham International this Morning on West Coast I had the above and a Coffee on leaving S&D.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,450
Location
Yorkshire
They only half fill the cups when you ask for orange juice on VTEC these days; however once they've poured it, you can ask for a lemonade to mix with it (the cans are tiny), and at least then you get a decent sized drink ;)
 

iainbhx

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2014
Messages
217
Have East Coast ever served Britvic Orange Juice in Cans as opposed to the product dispensed into a Jug ?

The reason I ask is that between Sandwell & Dudley and Birmingham International this Morning on West Coast I had the above and a Coffee on leaving S&D.

You did well. A lot of the time last month they didn't start service until after Wolverhampton to get the commuters out the way. Juice and Toast are seem to be fairly optional services.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
They only half fill the cups when you ask for orange juice on VTEC these days; however once they've poured it, you can ask for a lemonade to mix with it (the cans are tiny), and at least then you get a decent sized drink ;)

Same with the tea... I thought it was intentional, to avoid drinks slopping over the side of the 'glass' or cup. Now you've made me think they are just being tight!
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
They only half fill the cups when you ask for orange juice on VTEC these days; however once they've poured it, you can ask for a lemonade to mix with it (the cans are tiny), and at least then you get a decent sized drink ;)

I think the Scottish crews must have missed the conspiracy memo then... I had both a full cup of of black coffee and a full glass of Orange Juice yesterday morning, to the extent that both spilt moments later on Dundee Central Junction!
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
I know that they have those shorter plastic cups with the fuzzy strip around them; however it sounds like you did end up with a glass at some point. Some would be too drunk to tell the difference!

I'm not sure whether or not they have glasses on the tilting trains, though.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Glasses are used on VTEC during the week to serve cold drinks so I'm not sure why this is a big thing? I think they only use plastic on weekends or if they're running out of clean glasses on a service during the week.
 

Top