• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
No, absolute fact. From what I could see most seats in our coach were reservations. They in my opinion should be allowing enough catering provision to meet the needs of busy trains...

Indeed and there is absolutely no excuse if the seats are reserved unless they were all booked the night before or shortly before reservations closed which is highly unlikely.

I'm off to London myself a fortnight on Friday on the 0800 from Edinburgh which is the ex GLC service. Here's hoping the rationing of the orange juice has ended since my last journey. I've also got a rewards ticket that expires at the end of the month does anyone know if it can be booked for a service beyond the expiry date? Eg can I book it now and travel next month or does the travel have to take place before expiry? Slightly off topic - apologies.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,748
Location
Yorkshire
I've also got a rewards ticket that expires at the end of the month does anyone know if it can be booked for a service beyond the expiry date? Eg can I book it now and travel next month or does the travel have to take place before expiry? Slightly off topic - apologies.

No problem.

My last rewards ticket I booked 5 months 28 days after cashing it in. I booked for about 6 weeks later.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Just for the record, not only is there no fruit on board on my journey home again, but I'm now told that "we don't carry any fruit"; (other than the apples required to prep the cheese platters and in the crew's rations of course).

Probably the most intelligent comment I can make is . . .

Grrrrrrr.
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,183
Just for the record, not only is there no fruit on board on my journey home again, but I'm now told that "we don't carry any fruit"; (other than the apples required to prep the cheese platters and in the crew's rations of course).

Probably the most intelligent comment I can make is . . .

Grrrrrrr.

They've lied to you then.

Went up to Edinburgh today, had a great crew and they had a full basket of fruit. Came round twice with it! Also offered a pack of shortbread with each drinks round (3 in total).
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
If its one of the peak time evening meal trains, then fruit and cake are not loaded, there should be cheese and a hot dessert option available on those trains. I dont believe fruit or cake are listed on the evening meal menu.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
If its one of the peak time evening meal trains, then fruit and cake are not loaded, there should be cheese and a hot dessert option available on those trains. . .
Ah, that explains it! Thanks.
I'm usually on those services, including the 19:00 which isn't a full evening meal service, and often, but not always, has fruit available.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,688
Location
Seaford
I have some time off work coming up, and would like to sample the East Coast FC service, travelling from Kings Cross and back in a day, mid-week. I don't particularly mind where I end up: York, Leeds or Newcastle would all be fine.

Which tend to be the quieter trains? I'm guessing the York terminators and anything after about 09.00 to Leeds? A breakfast train on the way up would be a bonus, but I couldn't commit to a departure before 08.30-ish.

Thanks.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,183
I have some time off work coming up, and would like to sample the East Coast FC service, travelling from Kings Cross and back in a day, mid-week. I don't particularly mind where I end up: York, Leeds or Newcastle would all be fine.

Which tend to be the quieter trains? I'm guessing the York terminators and anything after about 09.00 to Leeds? A breakfast train on the way up would be a bonus, but I couldn't commit to a departure before 08.30-ish.

Thanks.

I wouldn't know myself, however you can check here for a rough guide. I'd think trains around 9-11 would be quietest.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
. . . travelling from Kings Cross and back in a day, mid-week. . . .

Which tend to be the quieter trains? I'm guessing the York terminators and anything after about 09.00 to Leeds? A breakfast train on the way up would be a bonus, but I couldn't commit to a departure before 08.30-ish.
Well it's not often that you'd find a train with full First Class. I usually enjoy a table of 4 to myself. Sometimes its the whole coach.
But clearly you'd want to avoid the morning and evening peaks, unless of course, you wanted to experience the, er, full 'evening meal', which of course would require travel in the evening peak. Some of the Aberdeen and Inverness services can also be busy, simply on account of the high number of places they serve (with connections e.g. for St Andrews University or for Sussex Coast).

Some of the mid-day services with shorter runs can feel tired and unintersesting, so I'm suggesting a balance between the extremes - a Leeds or Newcastle terminator might be most useful, and do make sure you are travelling in daylight so that you can enjoy the sights - the Cathedrals and little chapels, the rivers and canals, the follies, converted windmills and deco homes, the old LNER metal signs, and of course the ups and downs over hills and a stretch below sea level - with a complimetary glass in front of you!
 
Last edited:

Marionaki

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2014
Messages
49
Hi everybody. I am new here.
I booked a ticket first class from Edinburgh to Kings Cross on the 16.30 on a Thursday in May on coach L seat 63 and it is my first time on East Coast, so it would be great to have a good service and crew. I am actually going on a day trip from London out on the Caledonian sleeper (managed to get the £19 Bargain berth and also my first time!), staying 9 hours in Edinburgh and then back to London on the above mentioned East coast train. I also received my loyalty advance card today, which I applied for 10 days ago, even when I have not even travelled before on Scotrail. I just gave my ref number for the May ticket and although it was a Bargain berth, I got the advance card. So, all in all I am very pleased. Hope I get a few sandwiches, a cake and a few drinks on the east coast train back from Edinburgh to London.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,183
But clearly you'd want to avoid the morning and evening peaks, unless of course, you wanted to experience the, er, full 'evening meal', which of course would require travel in the evening peak. Some of the Aberdeen and Inverness services can also be busy, simply on account of the high number of places they serve (with connections e.g. for St Andrews University or for Sussex Coast).

The 2000 Kings Cross to Newcastle is always fairly lightly loaded in the quiet coach. I always opt for that if I've been in London as it gets my home just in time for the last Metro but also means I can have a nice relaxing journey. The 1700/1730/1800 are always too busy for my liking and I avoid them!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi everybody. I am new here.
I booked a ticket first class from Edinburgh to Kings Cross on the 16.30 on a Thursday in May on coach L seat 63 and it is my first time on East Coast, so it would be great to have a good service and crew. I am actually going on a day trip from London out on the Caledonian sleeper (managed to get the £19 Bargain berth and also my first time!), staying 9 hours in Edinburgh and then back to London on the above mentioned East coast train. I also received my loyalty advance card today, which I applied for 10 days ago, even when I have not even travelled before on Scotrail. I just gave my ref number for the May ticket and although it was a Bargain berth, I got the advance card. So, all in all I am very pleased. Hope I get a few sandwiches, a cake and a few drinks on the east coast train back from Edinburgh to London.

Welcome to the forums!

Enjoy your trip! Do let us know how you get on. You get the All Day Menu on the 1630 from Edinburgh so it's a light meal! I believe the menu will have changed by then though.
 

Marionaki

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2014
Messages
49
The 2000 Kings Cross to Newcastle is always fairly lightly loaded in the quiet coach. I always opt for that if I've been in London as it gets my home just in time for the last Metro but also means I can have a nice relaxing journey. The 1700/1730/1800 are always too busy for my liking and I avoid them!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Welcome to the forums!

Enjoy your trip! Do let us know how you get on. You get the All Day Menu on the 1630 from Edinburgh so it's a light meal! I believe the menu will have changed by then though.

Great, thanks! Yes, I saw the All Day Menu on the website. Maybe they will do a few rounds of drinks, too!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,838
Location
Stirlingshire
Thought I'd pulled a flanker when I boarded the 0800 service to Kings Cross at Haymarket and blagged a "4" in K to myself. Believe it or not someone had the temerity to sit opposite me joining the service at Waverley :o

This is the first time this has ever happened to me as most people sit in their allocated seat. However this individual flashed some sort of pass on the ticket check - could have been one of those fabled "Gold Passes" so beloved of the brass.

Note to self next time look for a "4" with 2 seats reserved from Newcastle to avoid a repetition of the above :p

Amazing.....................1st time ever :lol:

My "full English" arrived before the toast, ensuring the latter was warm to accompany my Breakfast.

Two rounds of Coffee before and after and Newspaper delivered to seat.

A good service and reasonable sized serving.

Exited at Newcastle although my ticket was to Darlington (cheaper) and blagged my way through the barrier with "pop out for a fag" brandishing my pre-purchased Newcastle to Berwick ticket.


Boarded The Chieftain at Berwick Upon Tweed to return to Falkirk. Not offered anything until departure from Edinburgh - had Scotch, Coffee and bit of cake. Incidentally it was not a "scone express" all day menu was on offer and the fruit bowl had apples as well as bananas.

I could have had sandwiches etc as well but didn't fancy it. The only reason I got anything was because I was seated in "J" - the food trolley was still in the coach as the service pulled into Falkirk where I alighted.
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
I am using my 1st class rewards ticket a week tomorrow ( 09:15am from Leeds to London Kings Cross) meeting a friend of mine then boarding the 14:00pm Kings Cross - Edinburgh ( HST) was surprised there isn't a hot option on the latter
 
Joined
2 Jan 2009
Messages
527
Odd question. Evening meal trains out of Kings Cross. Why the 20:00 for dinner and not the 19:00 and 19:30? Seems like an odd gap.

Second odd question. Timetable shows all day service on some very late services. If I travelled on the last Newcastle - London train (as I will be doing in the summer) will I get any service or will they crew mysteriously flit away....?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 

Marionaki

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2014
Messages
49
Apart from hoping to get a good service in FC from Edinburgh to London, I just realised that when I booked my ticket online and was able to change my seat, I chose a priority seat without knowing!!! Coach L seat 63. I hope this will not cause me any trouble when the ticket inspector comes around, as I am not disabled. But on the website it did let me choose this seat.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
Apart from hoping to get a good service in FC from Edinburgh to London, I just realised that when I booked my ticket online and was able to change my seat, I chose a priority seat without knowing!!! Coach L seat 63. I hope this will not cause me any trouble when the ticket inspector comes around, as I am not disabled. But on the website it did let me choose this seat.

You won't have any problem at all.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,620
Location
Isle of Man
Travelling down to London this morning on the 0859 from Newcastle, and a momentous thing has happened.

I got a second croissant.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
The staff must have been happy yesterday, as Aaron (Urban Gateline, WFJ Dispatcher or whatever his job title is this week) blagged us a second set of sandwiches yesterday afternoon! After leaving Newark (last place for food service) the lady asked "Would you like anything off the trolley?" "Can I have a sandwich?" "Didn't you already have one?" "Yes" "I'll go to the end and back and if there's some left you can have one" result! Both of us got one pack of four each in the end :)
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
The staff must have been happy yesterday, as Aaron (Urban Gateline, WFJ Dispatcher or whatever his job title is this week) blagged us a second set of sandwiches yesterday afternoon! After leaving Newark (last place for food service) the lady asked "Would you like anything off the trolley?" "Can I have a sandwich?" "Didn't you already have one?" "Yes" "I'll go to the end and back and if there's some left you can have one" result! Both of us got one pack of four each in the end :)
Four each? Is that all. :p
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,838
Location
Stirlingshire
No silly, four each plus the four we were originally given, plus enough Coke and coffee to fill a small paddling pool, with crisps, "Mike's Brownies" and biscuits! A lack of alcohol was lamented but I didn't mind too much ;)

The sandwiches at the weekend, are from my experience better than those on weekdays, due them being pre-packed and hence larger.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
The sandwiches at the weekend, are from my experience better than those on weekdays, due them being pre-packed and hence larger.

I disagree, they might be larger in quantity but the fresh weekday ones taste better from experience!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,115
Location
Redcar
I actually thought they were the same. Just that the weekday ones were presented in a slightly nicer fashion (they certainly seem to come in containers) on a plate.
 

Marton

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2008
Messages
665
No hot food on 1201 York to KX. Seems to be an EM set

Branded as such not the one with EM colour and EC name.

I saw a XC powercar in KX last week

Are EC having problems?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Top