• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Functions like Zoom on a camera tend to make microscopes accompanying them obsolete. ;)

Has anyone got a microscope with a camera ? :lol:

Two, at work. For scientific purposes, microscopes without cameras are pretty pointless... oddly though low power CCDs are quite common on very powerful microscopes. Optics are far better than digital zoom
/wildly off topic
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,380
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Quick update on departure from Edinburgh the dreaded "scone express" menus appeared without the scones !!!

Yes folks Afternoon Tea on an Evening Departure - this wouldn't happen in London !!!!

I can't help feeling that the photo with the caption "Choose from our range of tasty snacks if you only fancy a bite" is to wind up posters on this thread... ;)
 

455refurb

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
77
Location
London
Travelled on the 19:29 YRK to KGX on a recent weekday. Tea & Coffee round immediately on departure, swiftly followed by the drinks trolley. Food after Doncaster, 4 sandwiches, crisps, 2 slices of cake. Lasagne & veg option both available if desired (a lot of takers for the Lasagne).

A chap who boarded at NNG was informed the food had recently gone past but asked if he wanted anything & given a menu. Further 2 tea & coffee runs and another drinks run. Staff started packing up about 45mins prior to arrival at KGX.

Overall, had no complaints & staff were very cheery too.
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
If you boarded at York how did you get food after Darlington? Do you mean Doncaster?
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Not a bad haul! It says a lot about EC's philosophy when you got the same offering as somebody travelling on a £177 London - York First Single.

Has anybody got any photos of the new offerings?

I'm on the 18:01 YRK-SVG on a First Advanced ticket this Friday, so assuming I'm offered hot food, and the Fish and Chips are up, I'll try and get you a photo! :D
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
I did - apologies, went into autopilot. I've corrected the post!

No worries :)

Interesting that the hot option had a lot of takers. East Coast have told me in the past that there isn't much demand southbound for meals in the evening :roll:
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Clearly the Finance department knows better than the onboard staff and the customers themselves :)
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
Travelling on the 1601 from York to Kings Cross today and had the Fish and Chips. It was tasty but a bit on the small size for anything other than lunch (which is okay for me because that's what it was ;)). A few more chips might be nice if it was on service where you'd be after an evening meal but in general a thumbs up from me. Photo attached below:
 

Attachments

  • P14-12-12_16.58.jpg
    P14-12-12_16.58.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 127

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Travelling on the 1601 from York to Kings Cross today and had the Fish and Chips. It was tasty but a bit on the small size for anything other than lunch (which is okay for me because that's what it was ;)). A few more chips might be nice if it was on service where you'd be after an evening meal but in general a thumbs up from me. Photo attached below:

IMO that looks very adequate and with cake and a couple of sandwiches later on on a longer journey (eg longer than London-York) I'd be very content!

May I ask how many passes the cold drinks trolley made, and how was the attitude of the staff?

 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
Hot drinks four times and cold drinks twice. Staff very friendly and a credit to the company.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Just left Doncaster on the 18:01 YRK - KGX, had cold drinks once, and the orders have already been around for food. Found myself feeling very hungry and looking forward to the fish and chips! Very nice and polite staff so far ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had my fish and chips, pretty nice. The woman forgot to bring me some ketchup so I had to go get it myself, then my food was pretty much cold :-x but oh well. Also while walking through I noticed that Coach L had no Air Conditioning, doesn't look like the people have attempted to move though. Maybe they're not noticing! Had the second round of drinks about 45 minutes in. Decided I need to go first class more often!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's my meal of fish and chips. No salad here, but the chips are in a nice lattice :D

also in the end I never got my dessert of mince pies! I asked the lady if there were any, and she said she'd check, but never got back to me, oh well
 

Attachments

  • DSC07098.jpg
    DSC07098.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
For a better deal on the food and drink you should go sit in coach K (if you're fussed you can get a reservation here by selecting the quiet coach). Don't tell too many people about that trick though ;)
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
For a better deal on the food and drink you should go sit in coach K (if you're fussed you can get a reservation here by selecting the quiet coach). Don't tell too many people about that trick though ;)

Or you can just use the seat selector to get one there. ;)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,835
Location
Stirlingshire
Just left Doncaster on the 18:01 YRK - KGX, had cold drinks once, and the orders have already been around for food. Found myself feeling very hungry and looking forward to the fish and chips! Very nice and polite staff so far ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had my fish and chips, pretty nice. The woman forgot to bring me some ketchup so I had to go get it myself, then my food was pretty much cold :-x but oh well. Also while walking through I noticed that Coach L had no Air Conditioning, doesn't look like the people have attempted to move though. Maybe they're not noticing! Had the second round of drinks about 45 minutes in. Decided I need to go first class more often!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's my meal of fish and chips. No salad here, but the chips are in a nice lattice :D

also in the end I never got my dessert of mince pies! I asked the lady if there were any, and she said she'd check, but never got back to me, oh well

That looks pathetic quite frankly especially bearing in mind the size of the plates. Ainsworth's looks a bit better as they have bulked it out with "rabbit food" Personally I would say DOUBLE that quantity would constitute a reasonable meal.

With regard to your Mince Pie that would have been on the trolley with the sandwiches and crisps - next time grab one when it comes past :p or you could have asked for it when you went for the ketchup.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For a better deal on the food and drink you should go sit in coach K (if you're fussed you can get a reservation here by selecting the quiet coach). Don't tell too many people about that trick though ;)

And crawl to the "Trolley Dollys" :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hot drinks four times and cold drinks twice. Staff very friendly and a credit to the company.

I'd prefer that statistic reversed :idea:
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,788
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Just left Doncaster on the 18:01 YRK - KGX, had cold drinks once, and the orders have already been around for food. Found myself feeling very hungry and looking forward to the fish and chips! Very nice and polite staff so far ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had my fish and chips, pretty nice. The woman forgot to bring me some ketchup so I had to go get it myself, then my food was pretty much cold :-x but oh well. Also while walking through I noticed that Coach L had no Air Conditioning, doesn't look like the people have attempted to move though. Maybe they're not noticing! Had the second round of drinks about 45 minutes in. Decided I need to go first class more often!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's my meal of fish and chips. No salad here, but the chips are in a nice lattice :D

also in the end I never got my dessert of mince pies! I asked the lady if there were any, and she said she'd check, but never got back to me, oh well

Them fish and chips do look utterly pathetic, I've gotten better potions in a posh restraunt in the Square Mile, and what the heck are they trying to do there with the chips? Just because you stack something up nicely doesn't make it better food. (Gordon Ramsey would disagree there but he's a...)
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I'm currently travelling from Leeds to King's Cross in First Class. Excellent staff (got my first cuppa before leaving Leeds) but can't say I'm impressed with the breakfast offering - it consists of a twinpack of two small cold rolls, one of which has to be egg which I don't do! The 'choice' is a either ham & cheese and egg mayo, or cheese & tomato and egg mayo, not really the sort of thing most people would have for breakfast. They are doing bacon rolls and breakfast paninis in the buffet, but any hot food has to be paid for - unfortunately, it really smacks of penny pinching (although I can't imagine a hot bacon roll would cost a lot more than the twin packs being given out). On the plus side, there has been a good drinks service, with tea, coffee, orange juice, water and cans of coke on offer.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,835
Location
Stirlingshire
I'm currently travelling from Leeds to King's Cross in First Class. Excellent staff (got my first cuppa before leaving Leeds) but can't say I'm impressed with the breakfast offering - it consists of a twinpack of two small cold rolls, one of which has to be egg which I don't do! The 'choice' is a either ham & cheese and egg mayo, or cheese & tomato and egg mayo, not really the sort of thing most people would have for breakfast. They are doing bacon rolls and breakfast paninis in the buffet, but any hot food has to be paid for - unfortunately, it really smacks of penny pinching (although I can't imagine a hot bacon roll would cost a lot more than the twin packs being given out). On the plus side, there has been a good drinks service, with tea, coffee, orange juice, water and cans of coke on offer.

If your coming back on a later service the "all day" offering is slightly better at the weekend as you get "proper" packs of sandwiches not the loose ones, plus biscuits and crisps.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
That looks pathetic quite frankly especially bearing in mind the size of the plates. Ainsworth's looks a bit better as they have bulked it out with "rabbit food" Personally I would say DOUBLE that quantity would constitute a reasonable meal.

True, I was pretty hungry after it still. Fortunately I still had a half eaten Toblerone in my bag :D
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
thats not hard. I have not yet tried the latest menue however it still has a long way to go to beet Virgin, for me at any rate.
Europe do train food far better than us full stop.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
I think that when East Coast deliver what is advertised (on any of the various catering offers) they beat Virgin hands down. The problem, for me, is a lack of consistency. If they sorted that then most of the complaints here would dry up and we'd be left, mostly, with nitpicking (lack of black pudding, only one piece of toast and so on).
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
I think that when East Coast deliver what is advertised (on any of the various catering offers) they beat Virgin hands down. The problem, for me, is a lack of consistency. If they sorted that then most of the complaints here would dry up and we'd be left, mostly, with nitpicking (lack of black pudding, only one piece of toast and so on).

I wouldn't say Virgin are being particularly consistent at the moment. And the food is nothing to rave about - especially the sandwiches. 'Mince pie chutney' anyone? :oops: :|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Travelling on the 1601 from York to Kings Cross today and had the Fish and Chips. It was tasty but a bit on the small size for anything other than lunch (which is okay for me because that's what it was ;)). A few more chips might be nice if it was on service where you'd be after an evening meal but in general a thumbs up from me. Photo attached below:

Never have I seen such a small portion of fish and chips. I would not upgrade when travelling to/from London if that's the best they can come up with.
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
I wouldn't say Virgin are being particularly consistent at the moment.

Hmm interesting they always have been previously! I wonder if the whole ICWC debacle is having an impact?

especially the sandwiches. 'Mince pie chutney' anyone?

I'll pass on this occasion ;) East Coast seem to fluctuate between slightly oddball sandwiches ('Wensleydale cheese and carrot chutney' or how about 'Colliers Cheddar, winter slaw and chutney') to quite nice and simple ones ('Ham and mustard').

Never have I seen such a small portion of fish and chips. I would not upgrade when travelling to/from London if that's the best they can come up with.

There's more to it than it looks. I agree that what Searle got was atrocious but it was good when I had it. The fish fills the batter (none of this business that you sometimes get where one end is full of fish and the other is just batter) and the chips are nice and chunky (but like I said at the time more would be better). Coupled with some sandwiches just after Peterborough it was more than enough for me (and I normally like my portions to be substantial).
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
Hmm interesting they always have been previously! I wonder if the whole ICWC debacle is having an impact?

In recent weeks Birmingham to Scotland Pendolinos have been consistently understaffed, with no breakfast or evening meal provided on numerous occasions. I have not been impressed.

I'll pass on this occasion ;) East Coast seem to fluctuate between slightly oddball sandwiches ('Wensleydale cheese and carrot chutney' or how about 'Colliers Cheddar, winter slaw and chutney') to quite nice and simple ones ('Ham and mustard').

M&S do a Wensleydale & Carrot Chutney sandwich. They get the combination right and it is delicious. 'Colliers Cheddar, winter slaw and chutney' sounds awful, though.

Virgin have gone further and further downhill since last year. They used to do crayfish, beef or other delicious fillings. Now it's 'mince pie chutney with ham.' I took one bite and felt sick. The alternative sandwich, 'a role wiith brie with some other wacky chutney' didn't sound appealing either. The staff did replace my 'mince pie chutney sandwich' with a 100g 'salmon salad' box, but even that was full of e-numbers and preservatives.

Virgin are asking for suggestions about how they should improve their service. Bringing back Primo should be near the top of their 'to do' list!
 

Robinson

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2010
Messages
623
Location
Helensburgh
Hmmm - I'm going up from Euston to Glasgow this Friday on a 1st AP, returning on January 4th from Edinburgh to King's Cross again on a 1st AP. Sadly I don't quite get to make a like-for-like comparison, as the EC trip is during the "reduced service" period, but still...
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,835
Location
Stirlingshire
I think that when East Coast deliver what is advertised (on any of the various catering offers) they beat Virgin hands down. The problem, for me, is a lack of consistency. If they sorted that then most of the complaints here would dry up and we'd be left, mostly, with nitpicking (lack of black pudding, only one piece of toast and so on).

The EC Breakfast has definitely been improved with the rosti and omelette replacing the potato scone and scrambled egg. I will be having a Virgin one t'rrow so will be able to post a comparison.

Which pedant moans about one slice of toast :oops:
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
I will be having a Virgin one t'rrow so will be able to post a comparison.

Unless that's changed they have black pudding, so why East Coast couldn't get Rail Gourmet (catering suppliers to both VT and EC) to give their breakfasts the same I don't know!
 

Top