• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aldaniti

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2009
Messages
668
That's probably why they've done it :lol:

A few weeks ago I declined the shortbread upon leaving York. When I fancied some after leaving Newcastle I was told it had all gone but that more stocks would be loaded at Edinburgh. Sadly I was alighting at Edinburgh. Lesson learnt!
 

Aberdonian

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
18
Can anyone please help me with info on the £25 First Class fare because I've never been able to find it.
1. is it on all the time and if not how would I know that it is on?
2. how do you book it. Does it just automatically come up in the fares section of the booking engine or do you have to go somewhere on their site/do something to get into these fares?
Its not possible that they are not offered exAberdeen..........is it?
Thanks.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
They are not available at all times as it's a special offer. I do not think that it's currently running and has not run for some time now. You would know when the offer is available because it will be advertised on the East Coast website. As for availability from Aberdeen I have no idea but I'd imagine they'd have a few available on each service.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
09:52 X ABD was always good for these. Youd think with low loadings theyd run it again just to justify having FC?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
Travelled on 0800 ex EDB this morning - The "Toast Famine" has reared it's ugly head again <(

On requesting my usual 2 slices of brown was informed that I could have "one for now" and she would return later with another. No prizes for guessing she didn't do "an Arnie" :oops:

Also they failed to offer newspapers although I saw an unopened bundle as I got on the Train.

The Breakfast could do with an update or refreshing as well - how long do we have to wait for "BP" to finally make an appearance !!!

Currently on 1926 ex Durham on my way back.

Suprise Suprise .....no hot food...same story from the staff "we tell them but they don't order enough" - their view is that it's an EC money saving measure and they are obviously not getting enough complaints.

Talking of complaints when is the next EC Directors Forum - it's well overdue.
 
Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I do a feel a bit sorry for the staff in situations like this. Clearly they are being let down due to no fault of their own.

Nevertheless, I'm struggling to understand these chronic shortages. If you book a ticket on a long haul flight, the airline register your booking and get you a meal. The aircraft is loaded based on how much food will be needed for the trolley and dinner runs.

In order to work out how much you're going to need, you have to know how many people are going to be on the flight. So surely the same rule applies to the train? East Coast can check the amount of people travelling on a train service - I could even do it using the seat reservation planner!

I've got five consecutive days of East Coast week after next. I hope they don't dissappoint me!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
I do a feel a bit sorry for the staff in situations like this. Clearly they are being let down due to no fault of their own.

Nevertheless, I'm struggling to understand these chronic shortages. If you book a ticket on a long haul flight, the airline register your booking and get you a meal. The aircraft is loaded based on how much food will be needed for the trolley and dinner runs.

In order to work out how much you're going to need, you have to know how many people are going to be on the flight. So surely the same rule applies to the train? East Coast can check the amount of people travelling on a train service - I could even do it using the seat reservation planner!

I've got five consecutive days of East Coast week after next. I hope they don't dissappoint me!


Obviously they are are all "walk up" passengers they were not expecting :oops:
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
This is becoming repetitive, but why didn't they phone ahead and replenish supplies at York

Depending on the catering offer York may not have had the supplies to allow for replenishment. For example York won't have the stock to resupply an evening meal service. Also I'm not sure how large RG's York depot is it could be that they don't have any of the hot options and just carry things like the snacks and buffet supplies.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
Depending on the catering offer York may not have had the supplies to allow for replenishment. For example York won't have the stock to resupply an evening meal service.

You believe thay actually tried ????

Surely they'd have a few baked spuds or pies knocking about (it was an afternoon departure from KGX -menu item advertised spud and coronation chicken)

ps not a Scone in sight - even that would have been welcome !!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
Surely they'd have a few baked spuds or pies knocking about (it was an afternoon departure from KGX -menu item advertised spud and coronation chicken)

If the catering plan doesn't call for RG York to have those items then they won't have them. I don't know if the York - KGX stoppers get a full replenishment at York or if they just make do with what they bring from KGX, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get restocked as first class loadings tend to be quite low on those services. It's all about the cost. It's cheaper for RG (and therefore East Coast) to only have a few depots with the full range of items (KGX, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh and perhaps Aberdeen) so only those places will be able to fully restock a service.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
@butts, agreed the breaky needs a makeover and agree also Re the lack off food as trains get further northbound
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
If the catering plan doesn't call for RG York to have those items then they won't have them. I don't know if the York - KGX stoppers get a full replenishment at York or if they just make do with what they bring from KGX, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get restocked as first class loadings tend to be quite low on those services. It's all about the cost. It's cheaper for RG (and therefore East Coast) to only have a few depots with the full range of items (KGX, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh and perhaps Aberdeen) so only those places will be able to fully restock a service.

Which begs the question if "the first class loadings tend to be quite low" how on earth do they run out in the first place ?

If it only happened occasionally I could understand it.The fact that in my experience hot food from York onwards is a rarity, coupled with staff saying they are reporting the shortages and no action is taken, leads me to believe they don't care :p

Staff have told me sometimes not enough is loaded in London to service the initial cache of passengers there let alone further up the line.:p

Did shortages used to occur when the service was paid for ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
@butts, agreed the breaky needs a makeover and agree also Re the lack off food as trains get further northbound

What would you like to see done with the Breakfast ?

I would like "proper eggs" and everything else served from a platter - obviously BP is a must. :lol:

Something akin to an "Olympic Breakfast" from Little Chef would be most welcome.
 
Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I think they do load certain items at York.
When I went to Inverness on the Chieftain they had almost run out of sandwiches for serving in 1st class south of York but received a new delivery when the train called at York.
When I came back on one of the York stoppers, food was being loaded at York.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
Which begs the question if "the first class loadings tend to be quite low" how on earth do they run out in the first place ?

I was talking about the KGX - York stoppers the services that go beyond to Newcastle and Edinburgh normally have better loadings.

The fact that in my experience hot food from York onwards is a rarity, coupled with staff saying they are reporting the shortages and no action is taken, leads me to believe they don't care

I believe you've hit the nail on the head there ;) I think East Coast are solely concerned with ensuring that first class passengers travelling from London to Leeds/Newcastle/York and Newcastle/Leeds/York to London are catered for. The way the service is currently organised strongly indicates that to me.

Did shortages used to occur when the service was paid for ?

I'm sure they did but on the old offer there used to be four of five hot options so if one ran out you still had a good chance of getting something else.

What would you like to see done with the Breakfast ?

Introduce black pudding and beans. Either give us two potato scones or the hash brown that Virgin offer.

I would like "proper eggs" and everything served from a platter

I'm lead to believe that on the busiest services the breakfast is served from a platter but on quieter services it makes more sense to plate up in the kitchen. Fried egg would be nice to be sure but I'm willing to live without it personally. I think there are bigger fish to 'fry' in regards to catering ;)

Something akin to an "Olympic Breakfast" from Little Chef would be most welcome.

As I've posted on a previous thread the pre-complementary breakfast was much more substantial and not dissimilar to the Little Chef breakfast:

On East Coast when they still had at-seat dining the cost of the breakfast was £12 in first and £6.90 in standard. The breakfast in both classes included bacon, sausage, fried/scrambled egg, baked beans, roast tomato and english muffin. First class got additionally fried mushrooms, black pudding, toast and a glass of orange juice.

Now maybe it's just me but I think that both of those are reasonably priced breakfasts for what you get (though I think the first class price is a little steep, £10 would have been better). I'm sure you could go to a greasy spoon and got twice as much for the same price but for a train? I think that's very reasonable.

All of the above was of course freshly cooked.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Can anyone confirm what is offered for breakfast at weekends? The page at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our-trains/food1/complimentary-food-and-drink/ states A light breakfast is served in the morning but the page referring to Christmas at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board...imentary-food-and-drink/christmas-menu-offer/ says:

The weekend menus will remain as current offer.

15 & 16 December, 22 & 23 December, 29 & 30 December, 5 & 6 January

Breakfast Menu

Selection of twin pack mini rolls
or
Selection of twin pack mini rolls (v)
Lily O’Briens biscuits triple pack (v)


Manye it's just me, but I have never heard a couple of mini-rolls or biscuits referred to as a 'light breakfast' anywhere else!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
Can anyone confirm what is offered for breakfast at weekends? The page at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our-trains/food1/complimentary-food-and-drink/ states A light breakfast is served in the morning but the page referring to Christmas at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board...imentary-food-and-drink/christmas-menu-offer/ says:

The weekend menus will remain as current offer.

15 & 16 December, 22 & 23 December, 29 & 30 December, 5 & 6 January

Breakfast Menu

Selection of twin pack mini rolls
or
Selection of twin pack mini rolls (v)
Lily O’Briens biscuits triple pack (v)


Manye it's just me, but I have never heard a couple of mini-rolls or biscuits referred to as a 'light breakfast' anywhere else!

The normal breakfast at weekends is a "crappy roll" with Ham or Cheese in - give it a miss and hit an "all day service" the sarnies are far better. I hope a "twin pack" on the x-mas brekkie menu is not one each of the rolls I mentioned. :cry:
 

RyanB

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
142
Location
Edinburgh, UK
The normal breakfast at weekends is a "crappy roll" with Ham or Cheese in - give it a miss and hit an "all day service" the sarnies are far better. I hope a "twin pack" on the x-mas brekkie menu is not one each of the rolls I mentioned. :cry:

I'm travelling down this Saturday to London for the NFL International Series at Wembley with my Dad and we're travelling first class, so at least I know that the Breakfast we get served will be rather poor, we'll end up buying lunch in M&S just over the road from the Waverley.
 

paulypaul

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
125
I am travelling from Edinburgh to Peterborough in December in Coach L on a weekday 10am departure. Is that at good coach?
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
I am travelling from Edinburgh to Peterborough in December in Coach L on a weekday 10am departure. Is that at good coach?

A good coach...under what conditions?

It is "good" in that it is nearly always going to offer a more pleasant journey than any of the Standard Class coaches.

It is "good" in that it has charging points (unlike coach J on a HST)

It is "good" compared to Cattle First - coach M - where all the cheap and cheerful Advance 1sts are placed.

If it's an electric set, I would nearly always head for coach K, however.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
On an HST that's the coach I'd be aiming for (sitting at the country end) on 225s I'd be aiming for K rather than L, but it still isn't terrible. Always avoid M as you'll be getting last choice of whatever is available.
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
New menu will be out on Monday 26 Nov, dont know too many details yet but im told the breakfast will no longer serve egg, but omelette, also the all day menu will have fish and chips and sausage and mash, sorry butts no sign of BP on the breakfast menu:(
 

adtrainz

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2011
Messages
79
02507.jpg


They wouldn't even have to put packaging on it...
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Four days since the last post......we can't let this thread die, it's one of my favourites! :p

Got the 1408 KGX to Newark North Gate yesterday afternoon. Sat in Coach K and this young (ish) fellow gets on the train and stands in the crew area, looking in at the coach. A steward comes up to him and says 'are you First or Standard Class?' His responsible, quite literally, is 'erm..........er.......well....I don't know.'

Steward asks to see his ticket. Man hands over his ticket. Steward gestures down the coach instantly and says 'Standard Class, you're that way!' :lol:

I also noticed that after we left KGX they brought round the trolley with all the soft drinks and spirits. I've never seen that done before, normally they only bring the tea and coffee.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
perhaps all the mid afternoon suits looked thirsty?
@Yorkshire rider, loving sound of new hot options.
 

Top