• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

higthomas

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
1,227
If you look at their full timetable online it should tell you. Although someone will be along soon to confirm; but I think it's pretty much the same as lunchtime at that time of night.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
I'm sure it will be better than a journey with VTWC, where all services departing Euston after 18:59 on weekdays offer nothing better in the way of food than an "egg and tomato chutney sandwich" in first class (the afternoon offering has the additional options of a "chicken Caesar and bacon wrap" and a "poached salmon salad").
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
If you look at their full timetable online it should tell you. Although someone will be along soon to confirm; but I think it's pretty much the same as lunchtime at that time of night.

I did as you suggested and that;s the paper answer , and I suppose staff shortages not withstanding , Joining the train at KGX means the offering should be there .
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
It should be the full advertised menu including the hot and cold food options. I travelled on the 2200 from Kings Cross and the full menu was served. VTEC don't wind down their first class service after the evening peak.
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
It should be the full advertised menu including the hot and cold food options. I travelled on the 2200 from Kings Cross and the full menu was served. VTEC don't wind down their first class service after the evening peak.

that;s good to know as the day i'm travelling back is a 'day off' in that the business stuff is the day before ... so needed to plan food across the day ( breakfast in hotel ) with regard to lunch and evening meal
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
Depending on how large of a meal you want on an evening I wouldn't rely on VTEC to fill that requirement outside of their advertised 'evening meal' services. If it were me I'd have a large or late lunch.
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
Depending on how large of a meal you want on an evening I wouldn't rely on VTEC to fill that requirement outside of their advertised 'evening meal' services. If it were me I'd have a large or late lunch.

that was my reason for asking

if the 'rest of the day' menu is likely to be available , big breakfast and a relatively later lunch and then food on the train ... if it was unlikely to be availalbe then eating before travelling would be more likely
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
If that's your plan I think that would work. It's what I'd do! The only reason for it not to be available would be crew shortage or something else breaking down. It hasn't happened to me very often. They do try and update any catering issues on their website on this page (scroll down).
 

applepie2100

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
170
I'm definitely not a fan of the FC way of doing the at seat service. Currently on the 1500 KGX-STG which departed about 30 minutes late due to signalling issues in the Grantham area. I was rather surprised that it took over an hour for the first round of hot drinks to come out after the bar and food service. The tables aren't even fully laid up now with only sugar being present. They still seem to have a glassware phobia too. All four of us at the table had cold drinks with three alcoholic and one non-alcoholic and not one of us even got a plastic tumbler, never mind a glass!

The service still seems to be very inconsistent.
 

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
I'm definitely not a fan of the FC way of doing the at seat service. Currently on the 1500 KGX-STG which departed about 30 minutes late due to signalling issues in the Grantham area. I was rather surprised that it took over an hour for the first round of hot drinks to come out after the bar and food service. The tables aren't even fully laid up now with only sugar being present. They still seem to have a glassware phobia too. All four of us at the table had cold drinks with three alcoholic and one non-alcoholic and not one of us even got a plastic tumbler, never mind a glass!

The service still seems to be very inconsistent.

I think you've just picked a bad 'day at the office' there, unfortunately
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,143
Location
Redcar
I think you've just picked a bad 'day at the office' there, unfortunately

If you look through the past postings of applepie2100 in this thread, you will see a recurring trend.

It must be either that they are very unlucky in the service they do get, or they only post when they don't get the service they want. (Although they did like the curry! :D)
 
Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
Have used Virgin East Coast yesterday and today and till Saturday, and so far been very good service, drinks within 10 or so minutes of start of journey, and frequent and copious amount of drinks, the cooked breakfast and the Lamb Stew both very nice, well worth having, going to try the curry soon north of Edinburgh on the Highland Chieftain, which typing from.
 

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
If you look through the past postings of applepie2100 in this thread, you will see a recurring trend.

It must be either that they are very unlucky in the service they do get, or they only post when they don't get the service they want. (Although they did like the curry! :D)

well observed Darandio...... may be some 'apple pie' on the FC menu would help ? :lol:
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
I Can't fault the service I have had so far on my 7 day ALR 1st class, the grilled breakfasts have been really tast and filling, the lamb stew with mashed potato was nice, and so was the chicken with tarragon sauce, trying the Thai green vegetable curry shortly, been plied with lots of coffe and soft drinks etc, mainly been in glasses and mugs, overall very good service on all services so far.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
On the 0800 ex Edinburgh to Newcastle this Morning.

Had a "4" to myself in K

Wonderful experience full grilled breakfast with THREE slices of brown toast - no famine today :p

Returned on the 1455 ex Newcastle to Falkirk on The Chieftain.

Unfortunately the Lamb Stew had run out so I had the Sausage Roll - or rolls as it turned out. Do you normally get 2 ? - not bad but a bit overcooked.

I was marooned in M - how I hate that Coach but I still got a second Scotch - just - necked it two mins before arrival in FKG.

Also have the Muffins shrunk or is it my imagination ?
 

applepie2100

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
170
I'd love to be able to buy a big jar of the raspberry and gin jam they have because it's absolutely gorgeous!

I realise that I've been critical of some of the service but on the whole I've had excellent first class service despite what some on here seem to think. It's just unfortunate that there appear to be times when service is not up to the standards we've come to expect.
 

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
I'd love to be able to buy a big jar of the raspberry and gin jam they have because it's absolutely gorgeous!

I realise that I've been critical of some of the service but on the whole I've had excellent first class service despite what some on here seem to think. It's just unfortunate that there appear to be times when service is not up to the standards we've come to expect.

Listen AP, if you need to get things off your chest with a good whinge about VTEC First then go for it ! we're happy to read and comment...... as you have clarified, overall your experiences have been very favorable and may that continue to be for your future journeys ! ...who knows, I may be the next to complain :idea:
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
I like the Breakfast Grill and the Lamb Stew the most, and service been top notch so far, lots of drinks flowing, and hot food orders done quickly, no bad service so far this week.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Decent breakfast this morning on the 0840 from Newcastle. My previous experiences on this service have been patchy with anything from nothing to the full monty being served. This morning was the full monty with toast en masse! I think I could have easily had six slices this morning.

That was probably my last VTEC journey for a few months as I'm back to working in Preston from next week.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,143
Location
Redcar
Listen AP, if you need to get things off your chest with a good whinge about VTEC First then go for it ! we're happy to read and comment...... as you have clarified, overall your experiences have been very favorable and may that continue to be for your future journeys ! ...who knows, I may be the next to complain :idea:

I'd agree, but if the service has been excellent on the whole, why can't we read about that too? I'd certainly like to read it, i'm sure i'm not the only one.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I'd agree, but if the service has been excellent on the whole, why can't we read about that too? I'd certainly like to read it, i'm sure i'm not the only one.

Just the same as if you were to communicate directly with VTEC about their service - you are more likely to make contact when it's below standard compared to when the normal excellent/good/very good service has occurred. People generally only compliment when they have been really wowed.

I used to manage a supermarket that turned over £1.2m a week and the ratio between complaints and compliments were about 25 to 1
 

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
Just the same as if you were to communicate directly with VTEC about their service - you are more likely to make contact when it's below standard compared to when the normal excellent/good/very good service has occurred. People generally only compliment when they have been really wowed.

I used to manage a supermarket that turned over £1.2m a week and the ratio between complaints and compliments were about 25 to 1

both valid points - I have sent e-mithers to both VTEC & VTWC on occasion to praise staff on services where I considered their efforts on behalf us passengers were noteworthy
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
Two trips from me this week:

Weds 1st of Feb 0710 Leeds-Aberdeen. It took 55 minutes to get anything other than a newspaper, and all I really wanted at that time of the morning was a coffee, so that was a bit poor. The staff were good, lots of pastries and toast offered. After the initial drought there were then plenty of drinks runs. The cooked breakfast appeared to be missing the potato, but what was present was of good quality and well cooked. At Edinburgh the train switches over to the all day menu, I had a couple of the hop on board which always goes down well. I ordered the stew, which the staff then forgot about so it took a while to come and it wasn't that warm when it did arrive, but they were apologetic and it was a one off as I've had this crew before and they are normally really good. The stew was very tasty, I was pleasantly surprised. Another passenger wasn't very happy that they didn't come round with muffins/cakes etc and he had to ask for them, which they then also forgot, but he got them eventually.

1600 Edinburgh-Doncaster yesterday. Good service down to Newcastle, and I got another stew. At Newcastle the crew changed and then they were short staffed, so they stopped doing the stew and curry but did still offer the hot sausage rolls. Some people weren't too happy about that, but they threw beer and wine at them which made them happy. I couldn't drink as I had to drive, but there were plenty of opportunities for drinks and they were quite happy to give a group of 4 a bottle of wine for the table to keep them going after filling their glasses. As I got off, I was offered 'one for the road' too. So they did as good a job as they could under the circumstances.

...but these journeys emphasise the inconsistency of VTEC 1st class quite nicely, and that is the problem with 1st in VTEC compared to other operators.
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I agree.

On other opperaters in my admittedly limmited experience its iether all, nothing, or a planned orgonised or advertised reduced service and in the case of all or reduced its delivered consistantly.

I do like the idea of giving a table of 4 all drinkin wine whats left of the bottle though.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I notice that the glasses used to serve complimentary wine in VTEC First Class were changed two weeks ago from 250 ml capacity to newer "stronger" glasses of 175 ml capacity.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
I notice that the glasses used to serve complimentary wine in VTEC First Class were changed two weeks ago from 250 ml capacity to newer "stronger" glasses of 175 ml capacity.

That sounds like the same ones they knocked the breakfast orange juice out in on my trip earlier this week. More like "whiskey glasses" :idea:
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,308
Location
Bolton
I haven't been in First Class for ages, but the rasberry and gin jam is gorgous isn't it!

On the other hand, have they traded down to 250ml cans of coke from 330ml?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
I haven't been in First Class for ages, but the rasberry and gin jam is gorgous isn't it!

On the other hand, have they traded down to 250ml cans of coke from 330ml?

Luckily the Scotch is still the same size...just double up on the pop :p
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I haven't been in First Class for ages, but the rasberry and gin jam is gorgous isn't it!

On the other hand, have they traded down to 250ml cans of coke from 330ml?

Yes to both

The jam is amazing, need to find out if you can get larger jars of it from somewhere.

The Coke is now in the same size and shape of can as the small cans of Red Bull
 

Top