• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Night Tube survey (for my dissertation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kappa

New Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
4
Hello Everyone.

I’m a Student in the UK, studying at Royal Holloway, University of London doing Geography.

I am currently doing research for my third year dissertation which is looking at the Night Tube coming to London in September.

As this forum is for those enthusiastic about trains I was wondering if anyone based in London or those with a particular interest in the London Underground would be willing to take my survey looking at it. It should take you 15-20 minutes.

The link to the survey is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R2VZJWN

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the survey,

Many thanks,

Mike
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Done! I'm sure others will follow. Good luck in your studies!

I found your questions to seem well-thought-out and well-written, but the survey site didn't seem to tell me how far through in the survey I was. This may encourage people to go all the way through, as it gets quite "in depth" in places.

It would also be interesting to see if people might be encouraged to universally write more in the comment boxes if the only answer where they didn't have to write a comment was "Don't know". I'm sure you see what I mean.

And... welcome to the forum! Make sure you stay around to broaden your knowledge after you've done this project, if you so wish. It's a good place to discuss a lot of transport industry matters. :)
 

Kappa

New Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
4
Thank you very much!

Also thank you for the compliments and the suggestions, I will review the survey and take what you've said on board. I completely see what you mean!

Thank you, I'm very interested in the transport industry so I will certainly stick around! :D
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
I have answered your survey, however I should point out that your demographics page is a bit lacking, as not everyone identifies as male or female.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
Q9 might have been better with multiple selections possible.

I don't understand Q15.

Q18 needs proofreading.

Q19, Q20 should read "fewer" instead of "less"

Q26 why the "more"s?

I've filled it in. All the best with your dissertation.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,333
I think only a portion of London's population understand that the Night Tube only will operate on half, maybe less, of the network, and even less understand it will only be on Saturday and Sunday mornings. All the stuff about it benefiting shift workers or those going early to Heathrow really is misleading.

I first encountered this style of operation some years ago in Berlin, and honestly could not see how it affected the city.
 

Kappa

New Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
4
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking at what you've said and my responses so far I am currently trying to edit and improve my survey.

Taunton do you make that comment in regards to your feelings of the Night Tube generally, or my survey? I was just a little confused.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
I should also add that my answers are based on everything going off smoothly - something that with the unions currently being opposed to the way it's being introduced is not guaranteed.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,333
The survey question assumed an understanding that it will only be weekend nights, on part of the system. I think there's a widespread misunderstanding about this among the public, although maybe not for us lot here.
 

Kappa

New Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
4
Thats a fair point Deerfold. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out. Unfortunately the limitations of the survey mean that you cannot really do two sets of answers revolving around it going smoothly and not so smoothly.

I see what you mean Taunton and I would agree with you. To keep the survey a bit shorter and less wordy than it already is I do need to assume that people know that. If not I hope people will realise this when they read the question and answer accordingly. Again this is a limitation of the survey. However as you say I have put this survey mostly out to rail forums so I would think that many people such as yourself would be aware.

Furthermore if anyone on this forum has a question about the survey drop a message on here! I would happy to sort of make this a vox pop sort of affair so that people fully understand the questions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top