• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London-Newbury journey times post electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol Rover

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2009
Messages
82
I'm thinking of relocating to Newbury, and note the electrification of the Great Western Line will include Newbury (but alas not Hungerford or Bedwyn).

At the moment, journey times from London to Newbury vary from 51 minutes to an hour eastbound, and as quick as 42 minutes westbound.

What time saving may reasonably be expected by the electrification service, and are more frequent trains planned?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
I'm thinking of relocating to Newbury, and note the electrification of the Great Western Line will include Newbury (but alas not Hungerford or Bedwyn).

At the moment, journey times from London to Newbury vary from 51 minutes to an hour eastbound, and as quick as 42 minutes westbound.

What time saving may reasonably be expected by the electrification service, and are more frequent trains planned?

Don't be confident of anything until the wires actually go up.
 

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,070
Location
UK
I'm thinking of relocating to Newbury, and note the electrification of the Great Western Line will include Newbury (but alas not Hungerford or Bedwyn).

At the moment, journey times from London to Newbury vary from 51 minutes to an hour eastbound, and as quick as 42 minutes westbound.

What time saving may reasonably be expected by the electrification service, and are more frequent trains planned?

According to the new Great Western franchise document from FGW (which I can't find!) there will be an hourly London-Newbury EMU and a two-hourly London-Exeter semi-fast bi-mode.
 

30909

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
293
I'm thinking of relocating to Newbury, and note the electrification of the Great Western Line will include Newbury (but alas not Hungerford or Bedwyn).

At the moment, journey times from London to Newbury vary from 51 minutes to an hour eastbound, and as quick as 42 minutes westbound.

What time saving may reasonably be expected by the electrification service, and are more frequent trains planned?

This journey is relatively short/quick so even if it is shortened by 10% in time the average single journey saving will not be greater than 10 minutes, or 20 minutes a day. This can be projected to an annual saving of, 253 working days less 25 days holiday/sick to an annual saving of 3.1 days. The question is, is the daily saving of 20 minutes life enhancing though improved frequency may indeed be?
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
This journey is relatively short/quick so even if it is shortened by 10% in time the average single journey saving will not be greater than 10 minutes, or 20 minutes a day. This can be projected to an annual saving of, 253 working days less 25 days holiday/sick to an annual saving of 3.1 days. The question is, is the daily saving of 20 minutes life enhancing though improved frequency may indeed be?

I am afraid that is not the question. BCRs are worked out on the basis that the time saved is of value in three degrees of such value.
1. On business (the highest). 2. Commuting 3. Leisure/shopping /social.

Your example only deals with number 2. I don't know what the values are nowadays as I am out of all this. They'll be on the DfT website somewhere.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,516
I am afraid that is not the question. BCRs are worked out on the basis that the time saved is of value in three degrees of such value.
1. On business (the highest). 2. Commuting 3. Leisure/shopping /social.

Your example only deals with number 2. I don't know what the values are nowadays as I am out of all this. They'll be on the DfT website somewhere.

Would you like to repeat that in English please :)
 

30909

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
293
I am afraid that is not the question. BCRs are worked out on the basis that the time saved is of value in three degrees of such value.
1. On business (the highest). 2. Commuting 3. Leisure/shopping /social.

Your example only deals with number 2. I don't know what the values are nowadays as I am out of all this. They'll be on the DfT website somewhere.

I understand and these figures are important in macro-economic terms but my understanding of the OP’s question was a personal one in respect of their possible relocation. I made the assumption that the speed, frequency question would be applied to an individual and therefore was lifestyle related rather than economic benefit. However I am, as always, prepared to be corrected.:)
 

Bristol Rover

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2009
Messages
82
I understand and these figures are important in macro-economic terms but my understanding of the OP’s question was a personal one in respect of their possible relocation. I made the assumption that the speed, frequency question would be applied to an individual and therefore was lifestyle related rather than economic benefit. However I am, as always, prepared to be corrected.:)

Indeed, very much lifestyle connected. A 30 minute commute compared to a 50 minute one is very much more attractive.

Does anyone know the reason why the eastbound journeys are quite a bit slower? Presumably they stop more. But why don't they stop as frequently on the westbound journeys?
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Indeed, very much lifestyle connected. A 30 minute commute compared to a 50 minute one is very much more attractive.

Does anyone know the reason why the eastbound journeys are quite a bit slower? Presumably they stop more. But why don't they stop as frequently on the westbound journeys?

Same reason as why out here in Penzance trains are given 5 to 10 minutes to complete the last quarter mile of their journey westbound i.e. to 'fiddle' punctuality statistics.:lol:
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Indeed, very much lifestyle connected. A 30 minute commute compared to a 50 minute one is very much more attractive.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was more than a 5 minute reduction, which is above 10% on the down.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Have the recent route improvements at Reading reached the timetable yet?
If not, there ought to be a significant improvement in the timetable, regardless of electrification.
I was reminded of this last week when we pulled into a Reading platform from the west just as an Up stone train from Westbury ran through alongside.
That would not have been possible before the recent upgrades.
Newbury/Basingstoke route trains should benefit particularly, because of the multiplicity of routes now available through Reading.
At the very least, less pathing time will be needed.
At some point the line speeds through the area will also increase to the design level (if they haven't already).
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
I understand and these figures are important in macro-economic terms but my understanding of the OP’s question was a personal one in respect of their possible relocation. I made the assumption that the speed, frequency question would be applied to an individual and therefore was lifestyle related rather than economic benefit. However I am, as always, prepared to be corrected.:)

I was just referring to why they did not extend the electrification further than Newbury, mentioned by the OP (sorry did not make that clear). I assume the BCR did not recommend itself.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,569
Location
Hampshire
Have the recent route improvements at Reading reached the timetable yet?
If not, there ought to be a significant improvement in the timetable, regardless of electrification.
I was reminded of this last week when we pulled into a Reading platform from the west just as an Up stone train from Westbury ran through alongside.
That would not have been possible before the recent upgrades.
Newbury/Basingstoke route trains should benefit particularly, because of the multiplicity of routes now available through Reading.
At the very least, less pathing time will be needed.
At some point the line speeds through the area will also increase to the design level (if they haven't already).

It's unclear that the improvements at Reading will make any difference to passenger train times to/from Newbury. The main issues were increasing the numbers of platforms and removing conflict on the main line with the junction for the Berks and Hants route. All that increases capacity, but I suspect it only marginally decreases timings (except perhaps for freight trains!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top