• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland trip: London Euston - Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

33125

Member
Joined
21 May 2016
Messages
8
Hi all,

I'm looking at booking tickets from London Euston to Crewe on London Midland on a Friday.

Advance Standard Class Single tickets are available for £9.00 and Advance First Class Single Tickets from £19.00.

As I've never travelled on London Midland before, I'm seeking advice.

I understand from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Main_Line that my journey will be operated by 350/2 (3+2 in standard class, 37 units in total) or 350/3 (2+2 in standard class, 10 units in total).

In particular, I'm thinking of 1246 dep EUS, 1524 arr CRE on a Friday.

1. What is the chance that I would get a 350/2 and what is the chance that I would get a 350/3? (I'm thinking that if there was 2+2 in standard, I would definitely travel standard, but if there was 3+2 in standard, I might consider first.)

2. How busy is the 1246 dep EUS, 1524 arr CRE on a Friday?

3. I believe that First Class on London Midland is a "commuter first class" like on Southeastern where you don't get any complimentary refreshments, etc. Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
It is very unlikely to be a 350/2, although this isn't unheard of. A /3 is reasonably likely but a /1 is the typical. 350/1 have older seats that are very worn in Standard, but they are at least 2+2 in pretty much the same arrangement as the /3.

There is no catering on London Midland, whatever ticket you have. They don't yet offer wifi to anyone onboard either. The benefit of First Class is access to a socket (these are available in Standard on /3 only and then only at tables), and guaranteed 2+2 seating with tables (although some are seat-back they offer good space).

I do not know for sure how well loaded the 1246 from London will be, but I can hardly imagine it being that busy. If you are travelling on a busy service then seating is not guaranteed because London Midland don't offer seat reservations. However at that time of day and heading away from London I would say your chances are good. I would recommend that you take a packed lunch to eat on the train and perhaps use the facilities at Euston - it doesn't take much for both of them to be out of order on a train you're stuck with for almost 3 hours.
 
Last edited:

33125

Member
Joined
21 May 2016
Messages
8
It is very unlikely to be a 350/2, although this isn't unheard of. A /3 is reasonably likely but a /1 is the typical. 350/1 have older seats that are very worn in Standard, but they are at least 2+2 in pretty much the same arrangement as the /3.

There is no catering on London Midland, whatever ticket you have. They don't yet offer wifi to anyone onboard either. The benefit of First Class is access to a socket (these are available in Standard on /3 only and then only at tables), and guaranteed 2+2 seating with tables (although some are seat-back they offer good space).

I do not know for sure how well loaded the 1246 from London will be, but I can hardly imagine it being that busy. If you are travelling on a busy service then seating is not guaranteed because London Midland don't offer seat reservations. However at that time of day and heading away from London I would say your chances are good. I would recommend that you take a packed lunch to eat on the train and perhaps use the facilities at Euston - it doesn't take much for both of them to be out of order on a train you're stuck with for almost 3 hours.



Thanks, @Starmill,

Great reply! Much appreciated! :D

I didn't think that a midday service would be too popular. If I'm almost guarranteed 2+2 seating in standard and there's no first class catering, then I'll buy a standard class ticket and save money! :)

Thanks again for your reply!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
The 350/2 can turn up at any time on a Crewe as the fleet seems to be worked as one pool - they are not great for that run! Make sure you pack your own butties as there is no food at all on board and if it is a 1 or a 3 turn your phone off as are no plugs in standard
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,837
Location
West of Andover
The 350/2 can turn up at any time on a Crewe as the fleet seems to be worked as one pool - they are not great for that run! Make sure you pack your own butties as there is no food at all on board and if it is a 1 or a 3 turn your phone off as are no plugs in standard

Don't you mean a 2 rather than a 3 Rich? (as a 3 has plugs on the tables in standard)

Hope for a 3, be thankful for a 1, go "bugger" if it's a 2
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
The 350/2 can turn up at any time on a Crewe as the fleet seems to be worked as one pool - they are not great for that run! Make sure you pack your own butties as there is no food at all on board and if it is a 1 or a 3 turn your phone off as are no plugs in standard



Definitely diagrammed as two fleets, although some diagrams can run wth either.

If a /2 runs to Crewe, Siemens get stung with hefty delay minutes. Usually does the trick...
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,221
I did Crewe - Euston on a 350/1 (albeit some time ago, before the tedious route via Stoke). It was surprisingly enjoyable - spacious, reasonably fast, comfortable. Better views than from most seats on a Pendolino!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Well my train from Tamworth to mk tonight is a...... 350/2 ??????

They turn up quite often especially on the early ones
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I did the 1246 Euston to Crewe on a Monday a while ago. I had a 350/3 on it, and in my experience it tends to end up roughly half and half 350/1 and 350/3.

My main reason for posting though is that on my use of it, it was a very big crowd, with crowds there almost 15 minutes before departure time! For the best chance of a seat in Standard, aim for the front coach.

First Class is nothing special, and you're not guaranteed a seat even though. Had it once where my only choice of seats was a pair of airline seats in First Class!
 

33125

Member
Joined
21 May 2016
Messages
8
Thank you for your replies, @DarloRich, @Kite159, @6Gman, @Pumbaa and @Techniquest.

I have now booked a ticket from London Euston to Crewe in standard class on London Midland.

I'm happy that /2s (ie 3+2 seating) seem rare, and I will say "bugger" (and other words, if one does appear. Hope I don't get the same train as @DarloRich!

I tend to take my own food with me when travelling anyway because I'm stingy (although wanted to check that I a good deal wasn't on offer in first class)!

I'm also okay without power sockets (I have spare batteries) and Wifi.

Thank you, @Techniquest for warning me that it might get crowded. I'll have to either bring a lot of bags which desperately need seats, put my feet on the seats or obtain some "police - do not cross" tape! (Joking, of course!)

Thanks again for all your replies!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Worth noting the overhead luggage racks can get quite a lot up on them, unless you're under the pantograph of course.

Stingy traveller? Good man! Sainsburys is just outside the station if needs be. Any general advice, feel free to ask, quite none of us bite if you want to ask about anything to do with bashing. I'm assuming you got one of the bargain £9 Advances? Exceptional value for the journey's length, but as I found when I did it you'll be more than ready to get up and have a stretch of the legs when you get there!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Were it not for 100 vs. 110mph, the /2s aren't massively unsuitable for the service - at least on weekends and school holidays. The groups of 6 are very popular with families and leisure groups, where it isn't cramped if the kids take the middle seats, while there are enough 2s for those who aren't in big groups.
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
The long distance LM advances sell out fast because they're dead cheap, leading to uncomfortably full services.

VT gets just as busy, but at least you have a reserved seat, a shop and better odds of working toilets. The cheapest VT advance tier is £15 I believe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

OneOffDave

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2015
Messages
453
LM toilets are rubbish. about 50% of the LM services out of Euston I catch don't have working loos
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top