• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland - NOW I'm confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
On another thread it is stated that LM trains are non-reservable. I wasn't aware of this, despite regularly travelling on LM - lack of observation there :oops:.

If this is so, why do I get a "seat reservation" (* ***) coupon for the Crewe to Liverpool South Parkway leg of my regular journeys? It would sometimes be more convenient to hop on the train that departs in less than the minimum connection time for Crewe when the train I arrive there on permits, but as I have a reservation coupon for the next one after that, I have always assumed I am obliged to wait for it.

But if it is unreservable anyway, why do they issue timed reservation coupons?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave_wm

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2008
Messages
220
They issue reservation coupons to 'tie' you to a certain train, as advance tickets do. It's just they don't go to the bother of actually allocating you a seat. Unfortunately I think you are still tied to that train, because of the reservation coupon. It's a fairly common thing amongst commuter-ish TOCs that issue advance tickets.

HTH :)
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
The 'yes men' at Crewe have a fairly unofficial policy of allowing you to travel on any train you want if you hold an Advance ticket as their services are fairly quiet, but only when it's not 'rush hour' and only if you ask them first ;)
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Thanks guys. Actually I have on a few occasions asked the train manager if it's okay for me to take the earlier one, and have never been refused, but sometimes it's a rush as the train only dwells for a minute or so and I have to dash down the platform to the back of the train to ask him or her. Not easy with a backpack and hand luggage.

To be fair, they usually look a bit puzzled as to why I'm even asking. This is what made me wonder whether I should just go for it anyway. Probably safer not to I suppose.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Which direction are you going? Swaps (off-peak) tend to happen on the top of the hour departures going North, and the quarter past departures going South. They'll also usually be in the back.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,467
Technically you are tied to your booked train, so they can throw the book at you if they want when someone takes the pee.

However if you ask them beforehand and obtain permission then it is a different matter. I would not board unless I have permission in your situation. It may not be worth paying for a new ticket.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I use the service in both directions, but the situation only arises when I'm going north. I tend to arrive at **25 - **29, and there's usually a **31 departure. As I generally arrive on platform 6 and the Liverpool service goes from 11, it is usually possible to make a dash for it, or even make a stroll for it when I get in early.

My ticket reservation is invariably for the **57, so from what you're saying, is that when the crew (as opposed to Crewe :lol:) swap over?
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Don't know about drivers, but senior conductors generally swap on/off on the xx57. Being in the back cab is pretty much guaranteed; it's 20 mins from the previous stop.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Is it safe to assume the TM will be in the back cab on the **31 services then? If I knew that, I could wait at that end of the platform, which would make it easier to ask permission.

Sometimes when I've had to break into a trot I am nervous in case it looks like I'm some sort of nutter and BTP or someone else decides to take a pot shot!
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Senior conductor ;) yes - almost always. Mick and Heather spend a lot of time in the saloons but will usually return to the back cab by then as its been 20 mins since Stafford.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
To be fair, they usually look a bit puzzled as to why I'm even asking. This is what made me wonder whether I should just go for it anyway. Probably safer not to I suppose.

As others have said, whatever you do, don't chance just getting on without asking. A good number of LM Guards will let you on if you ask nicely but will do you for a new ticket if you just try to get away with it.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
If I call them by their first names they'll either be delighted to let me on, or conversely get me arrested for over-familiarity! :lol:

Good point! That's what happens when you travel a route so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top