• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland looking for Conductors and Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestarter

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
555
Got an email late last week saying I was unsuccessful re the online test. They said they well may have vacancies next year, and will contact me then. Not a big problem, as I have a couple of choices career wise to choose from. Plus I have just heard that TFL are recruiting train operators again, internal vacancy only folks.

Do TFL ever advertise externally for train operators??
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubeboy

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
487
Location
London
They have in the past. They took a few in 2000. There are enough internal recruits who apply.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
How odd. I got an email from someone who has left the company :(

Pressed reply and got "I have left the company...." in an Out of Office autoreply message lol
 

Tank

New Member
Joined
24 Oct 2011
Messages
2
Got an email last week thanking me but unfortunately they have filled the available slots with candidates who were slightly more suitable by their assessment criteria.

They also said that my application was well received, that I did relatively well in the online test and that they wanted to keep my details on file for any future vacancies.

Gutted, but I wont dwell on it.
 
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
60
I attended the assessment day on 4th November and passed the various psychometric tests and had the interview. I was kept waiting 6 hours after the tests before my interview which wasn't ideal to be honest... Have been told it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before I hear any more. Anybody else on here attended and heard or been told anything different?
 

raildude

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2011
Messages
95
Location
Nantwich
I attended the assessment day on 4th November and passed the various psychometric tests and had the interview. I was kept waiting 6 hours after the tests before my interview which wasn't ideal to be honest... Have been told it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before I hear any more. Anybody else on here attended and heard or been told anything different?

Where did you apply for? A stations colleague of mine has told me there are over 40 conductor vacancies at Bletchley, but just 2 at Crewe.

Not sure about the drivers.
 
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
60
Where did you apply for? A stations colleague of mine has told me there are over 40 conductor vacancies at Bletchley, but just 2 at Crewe.

Not sure about the drivers.

I applied for a driving job at New Street. Was told there were 21 vacancies in total but that included Bletchley and Northampton.
 

Stone Cold

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
11
I too am waiting for a response following interview and passing the assessment centre. Completed mine on 28th October, again, was told to wait 2-3 weeks for a response. 7 got to interview including myself. Gone for Trainee Driver at Bletchley. Didnt get a breakdown of positions available, hopefully hear from them soon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anyone heard anything yet?
 
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
60
I too am waiting for a response following interview and passing the assessment centre. Completed mine on 28th October, again, was told to wait 2-3 weeks for a response. 7 got to interview including myself. Gone for Trainee Driver at Bletchley. Didnt get a breakdown of positions available, hopefully hear from them soon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anyone heard anything yet?

No still not heard a thing...
 
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
60
It's been almost 5 weeks now since my interview so I have tried contacting LM for an update but to no avail. I've emailed two managers that I had contact details for but one has now left the company and the other is on long term sickness. I was told it would be 2-3 weeks before I heard anything! :(

I have also heard on the railway grapevine that the internal applicants have already been given dates for the second set of tests (reaction tests) so I'm wondering if they're waiting to see the pass rate for these before returning to the external candidates to make up the numbers? Have any others who attended these interviews heard any more than me?!
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
It's been almost 5 weeks now since my interview so I have tried contacting LM for an update but to no avail. I've emailed two managers that I had contact details for but one has now left the company and the other is on long term sickness. I was told it would be 2-3 weeks before I heard anything! :(

I have also heard on the railway grapevine that the internal applicants have already been given dates for the second set of tests (reaction tests) so I'm wondering if they're waiting to see the pass rate for these before returning to the external candidates to make up the numbers? Have any others who attended these interviews heard any more than me?!

Good Evening, Sir.

I can confirm that the delay is reactionary to the fact that the Trainee Conductors recruitment program is still ongoing. Once the successful conductor applicants are selected and confirmed, successful Trainee Train Driver applicants will then be contacted.

Can I clarify what email address you have contacted, as traineeconductors@londonmidland.com no longer appears to be active.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I think LM are telling porkies, as I got "I have left the company" on an autoreply some months back too.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
I've got a mate who went to the internal assessment/interview (he's on the railway but doesn't work for LM) for the conductor positions. He hasn't heard anything back yet either...
 

Stone Cold

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
11
I emailed one of the other names on the out of office reply and got this

We are still going through the conductor and driver campaign, but be assured that we will get back in touch with you to check the status of your application with us.

That was the 23rd Nov, I had my assessment and interview on the 28th October. Other than that no correspondence from LM at all. Overall pretty poor show on their behalf.
Surely if its a late Jan early Feb start we need to be notifying current employers should we pass the Reaction / Medical.
 
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
60
I emailed one of the other names on the out of office reply and got this

We are still going through the conductor and driver campaign, but be assured that we will get back in touch with you to check the status of your application with us.

That was the 23rd Nov, I had my assessment and interview on the 28th October. Other than that no correspondence from LM at all. Overall pretty poor show on their behalf.
Surely if its a late Jan early Feb start we need to be notifying current employers should we pass the Reaction / Medical.

Yes I've now had a similar email after I tried one of the other names in the out of office reply.

It basically said the same as yours - still going through the process and hope to have some news in 2-3 weeks.
 

kart

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2011
Messages
47
I am so glad I pulled my application with LM. Seems to be a right joke!
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Hi guys,

Hopefully anyone who applied for the conductor vacancies should already have been told (or will be finding out at some point) today.

Resources should now be applied to the driver recruitment.

Good luck!
 

2Dogbox

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2011
Messages
174
Location
Lincoln
My friend works for LM and has heard nothing either, nor has her other half who applied externally. And no doubt those from HR who are not retired/out of the office/on extened leave etc will shortly be getting ready for a Christmas break. As its LM i can't say I'm surprised at the disorganisation.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
My mate who applied externally for the conductor position (but was assessed and interviewed with a lot of internal candidates) hasn't heard anything today or previously...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi guys,

Hopefully anyone who applied for the conductor vacancies should already have been told (or will be finding out at some point) today.

Resources should now be applied to the driver recruitment.

Good luck!

Do you work for London Midland chap or are you a candidate for the role?

My mate still hasn't heard anything regarding the Conductor position. He's sent their recruitment department an email but still hasn't received anything back.

Anyone else heard anything, for better or worse?
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, Christmas break and all.

I work (unfortunately!) for LM in 102, but please understand that my presence on here is unofficial and not particularly official or representative of London Midland Railway views or opinions etc.

As far as I can say, the conductor recruitment process looks to have concluded. Drivers are now being selected.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
Thanks LM__. You were right. My mate, in response to an email he'd sent them in something like mid December, got a response a couple of days before Christmas saying thanks but no thanks and we might get back to you in Spring, though you'll probably have to have another interview if we do...

He's a bit gutted as apparently, as after his interview, he was told if it was up to his interviewers, he'd have got the job there and then! I think he said that the rejection email explained that others had passed the tests with higher scores though. Shame really.
 

Stone Cold

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
11
Same question.......Has anyone had any news, successful or not with the trainee driver role?
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Pardon me for asking this but where exactly does it say Trainee Train Driver?

I can only see them looking for Qualified Train Drivers (Speculative) meaning they're looking for fully trained drivers.

As a example of my understanding, London Midland clearly states and I urge all to read the writing in BOLD which clearly states that they are only looking for fully qualified drivers and NOT trainees:

We are very interested in hearing from qualified mainline train drivers who would like to work in our depots.

You will need to have a good safety record and a commitment to providing good customer service. In return you will have the chance to join a forward-thinking company and progress your career within our Operations function.

Please note we will only consider applications from qualified mainline train drivers.

Please note that this is a Speculative Advert and no immediate review of your application will take place until we have positions to consider you for.
 

Stone Cold

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
11
The advertisement has been removed due to the application date lapsing. The advertisement was in place around 6th October 2011. I hope this clarifies
 
Last edited:

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
Erm... Didn't they advertise for Trainee Drivers prior to Christmas, in October when this thread started...

Why would they still be advertising the role on their website when people on this thread have already sat the tests and LM are presumably close to starting the course?! :P
 
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
60
So it's been almost 3 months since I had my interview and I've still not heard a peep from LM despite sending several emails. I have found out one internal applicant (currently a guard) was told thanks but no thanks back in December though and also several internal applicants have been for second stage testing and medicals... How do they get away with such shoddiness?!
 

2Dogbox

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2011
Messages
174
Location
Lincoln
My friend still has had no response despite final tests now over 2 months ago. This is quite dreadful. Only time I ever had to wait that long to hear about anything was when I was unemployed and applied for a job in the civil service where I waited 7 months. By which time I'd already got a job (with central trains). Come on lm it's peoples lives here, in the words of the late Kenneth Williams "stop messin about"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top