• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SJN

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
408
Location
Birmingham
Well done Taffy, what exactly do they cover on the medical?

Medical is hearing test, blood pressure, weight and height (bmi), eye test, colour blindness test, reading a few lines to see if you need reading glasses, alcohol breath test and urine sample. Thats how mine was on 21/11 anyway.

Good luck with your medical Cobbler.
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
Medical is hearing test, blood pressure, weight and height (bmi), eye test, colour blindness test, reading a few lines to see if you need reading glasses, alcohol breath test and urine sample. Thats how mine was on 21/11 anyway.

Good luck with your medical Cobbler.


cheers mate

im slightly concerned with my bmi , im a big lad , well not super fat but more big built , my bmi comes up at around 30-32 if i remember , i crashed a motorbike earlier this year and gained a few pounds when i was imobile

having said that i passed an RAF medical last year so shouldnt be to far away and thats very strict

again fingers crossed :D
 

NI 271

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2012
Messages
414
Location
The Doghouse
im slightly concerned with my bmi , im a big lad , well not super fat but more big built , my bmi comes up at around 30-32 if i remember , i crashed a motorbike earlier this year and gained a few pounds when i was imobile

If I somehow get that far in the coming months, that'd be my concern. I busted my cruciate ligaments in my right knee earlier this year (still scored the goal:lol:) and put on over a couple of stones over the summer. Have started playing football again but the timber isn't coming off as I'd like, BMI currently 32-33. That said, I've never found BMI to be a fair indicator, I am quite a bit broader of shoulder/chest than most and even at my peak (I was playing first division football in a good district league in the early 90s) I would still have been 'overweight' according to BMI charts - and that is absolute nonsense, I was in terrific shape. I have proper footballer's thighs though, and glutes to match, so even if I get down to what would be considered lean I'd still be well overweight going by BMI.

Not that that'd matter to a TOC though, so the diet/exercise continues in case. Doesn't matter how much you disagree with something, it's their company, so it's their rules...
 

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
The weight and BMI bit makes me laugh I've seen drivers struggle to get in their cabs and I know of a 30 stone signalman!
 

NI 271

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2012
Messages
414
Location
The Doghouse
The weight and BMI bit makes me laugh I've seen drivers struggle to get in their cabs and I know of a 30 stone signalman!

But were they that size when they were taken on? I worked as a bus driver for 11 years, I've seen many put huge amounts of weight on over the years, sedentary jobs do that to you, it did to me, my waist went from 32" to 38"!
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
id be gutted to fail now on bmi but we shall see , im 32 bmi , hopefully the medical people can make sensible decisions , saying that i havent got a clue what the target is
i would think that every top rugby player would fail aswell

not worried by any of the other aspects
 

SJN

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
408
Location
Birmingham
I don't know what the target is, so sorry I can't help you there. I shouldn't worry about it too much though. They met you at the interview so surely if they thought you wouldn't pass a medical, they wouldn't have put you through?
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
I don't know what the target is, so sorry I can't help you there. I shouldn't worry about it too much though. They met you at the interview so surely if they thought you wouldn't pass a medical, they wouldn't have put you through?

cheers mate , im not that worried but this means so much to me i just want to get it over with , feeling close now , hopefully get on for feb

struggling to keep getting all these days off work , havent told them i have to be off tuesday yet lol , LM dont give much notice sometimes , from sending my letter the medical is 4 days later , im hoping there rushing me through :D

i might get a nice xmas present ;)

going throughout this process from the start to now ive seen so many of my old mates still on the job , it really is a job for life

oh and just to add my mrs has just got into the police force and she has to have a similar bmi or if not higher than me ( shhh dont tell ffs lol )
 
Last edited:

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
Height, weight, Blood Pressure, hearing, sight, Breathalyser. You have a general chat, she takes a urine sample, and that's it. It's a 10-15 minute walk from Euston, and you'll be in and out in half an hour. No sweat. Dunno why I was worried in the first place!!
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
Height, weight, Blood Pressure, hearing, sight, Breathalyser. You have a general chat, she takes a urine sample, and that's it. It's a 10-15 minute walk from Euston, and you'll be in and out in half an hour. No sweat. Dunno why I was worried in the first place!!

slightly worried by my BP , it raises when i have medicals lol

i went for an raf medical last year , which is slightly more pressured shall we say :D anyways my blood presure was higher than normal so i had to goto my gp and get 3 seperate readings over a week , which were fine

but still worried though
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
slightly worried by my BP , it raises when i have medicals lol

i went for an raf medical last year , which is slightly more pressured shall we say :D anyways my blood presure was higher than normal so i had to goto my gp and get 3 seperate readings over a week , which were fine

but still worried though

Cobbler....I had my medical last week and like you I find that my blood pressure always spikes due to the 'white-coat hypertention'.

Worrying about it is the worst thing you can do and if you are thinking about it this will deffo happen, as it did with me last week initially. 2nd reading was much better. Don't forget that your blood pressure will vary massively throughout the day and do ensure that you don't have a full bladder when it's taken as this will increase the reading. Don't drink coffee or fizzy drinks on the day as again this will increase your pressure. Nicotine will also raise your pressure for 30 mins or so.

The tolerances are'nt as bad as some people think. I have the RAF medical each year and so know what you mean, however given that my Rail Standard medical is now valid for 5 years, I would suggest that the standards are not quite as strict. Good eyesight and hearing are clearly important.

Good luck;)
Lanc
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
Cobbler....I had my medical last week and like you I find that my blood pressure always spikes due to the 'white-coat hypertention'.

Worrying about it is the worst thing you can do and if you are thinking about it this will deffo happen, as it did with me last week initially. 2nd reading was much better. Don't forget that your blood pressure will vary massively throughout the day and do ensure that you don't have a full bladder when it's taken as this will increase the reading. Don't drink coffee or fizzy drinks on the day as again this will increase your pressure. Nicotine will also raise your pressure for 30 mins or so.

The tolerances are'nt as bad as some people think. I have the RAF medical each year and so know what you mean, however given that my Rail Standard medical is now valid for 5 years, I would suggest that the standards are not quite as strict. Good eyesight and hearing are clearly important.

Good luck;)
Lanc

cheers mate . i know what you mean and i will chill out , no redbulls or ciggys on the day , had my medical at brize norton last year so i know everything else is good , i know i dont have bp issues as such i just dont want anything to delay my chances , i really want to get on the feb intake

cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
medical passed , thats the last of it done , all in the hands of LM now
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
cheers mate . i know what you mean and i will chill out , no redbulls or ciggys on the day , had my medical at brize norton last year so i know everything else is good , i know i dont have bp issues as such i just dont want anything to delay my chances , i really want to get on the feb intake

cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
medical passed , thats the last of it done , all in the hands of LM now

Well done chap ! Not that bad after all ;)

Lanc
 

SJN

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
408
Location
Birmingham
Great news Cobbler. Really hope you start in Feb. I wonder how many they're starting then. Starting to think I'm the only female lol but then again not everyone has been posting on here.
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
thanks :)

i suppose it all depends on where people will be based and where they will train , i cant see it making sense training everyone in the same place , and speaking to a mate of mine at the station northampton are fully kitted up for the training

saying that i havent even had an offer yet so im not counting my chickens just yet
but ive done all thats needed so ill just hope for the best
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Had my contract, uniform order form, priv application, crb declaration etc etc through the post today. All seems so much more real now its in black and white. All signed and sent back but no mention of where training is so guess this will come after crb is done. Roll on the 25th feb now!
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
I imagine you'll receive your classroom based training at 102 New Street, LM's HQ and main training centre.
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
Had my contract, uniform order form, priv application, crb declaration etc etc through the post today. All seems so much more real now its in black and white. All signed and sent back but no mention of where training is so guess this will come after crb is done. Roll on the 25th feb now!

thats brilliant news , im well pleased for ya :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
spoke to hr today as i needed to change a detail that was incorrect and asked them about my application ,
i was advised feb intake is full and the next wont be untill april/may

why on the earth i had to go for a medical this week i have no idea , bit annoyed now :(

i cant put my life on hold for 6months waiting for a maybe , i think its really poor form

but congrats to everyone who made it

that will be the end of it for me unfortunatley , more train fares down the toilet and days off work ,

i did think this would happen

anyways faiplay to those who made it

cya
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Thanks cobbler, fingers crossed that you'll get yours through before long.
 

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
Well, I guess you could say I've made it!! My contract arrived yesterday with a big stack of paperwork for uniform, pension,travel pass, next of kin info etc etc.
I've been based at Bletchley, so I had a temporary travel pass that covers me for my first month. That's it then. I've signed the contract, just got to pop it in the post now!!
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
Well, I guess you could say I've made it!! My contract arrived yesterday with a big stack of paperwork for uniform, pension,travel pass, next of kin info etc etc.
I've been based at Bletchley, so I had a temporary travel pass that covers me for my first month. That's it then. I've signed the contract, just got to pop it in the post now!!

well done mate
 

SJN

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
408
Location
Birmingham
I've had all my forms today too. Just filled them all in and will post them tomorrow. I'm to be based at Coventry but I imagine the first part of the training will be at New Street where we went for assessment day. Had a problem filling in the uniform stuff as I don't know how big/small things are made so just had to guess. We get loads though!! Has everyone else said yes to the Pension stuff?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry to hear that Cobbler. I wouldn't give up though if I were you. You never know when you'll get the call.
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
I've had all my forms today too. Just filled them all in and will post them tomorrow. I'm to be based at Coventry but I imagine the first part of the training will be at New Street where we went for assessment day. Had a problem filling in the uniform stuff as I don't know how big/small things are made so just had to guess. We get loads though!! Has everyone else said yes to the Pension stuff?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry to hear that Cobbler. I wouldn't give up though if I were you. You never know when you'll get the call.

thanks :D but i think waiting another 6months is a stretch for me and theres no guarentees and id go spare if i waited and they bombed me out again lol , feeling slightly messed about atm , but hey ho onwards and upwards lol

but well done to you and everyone that got good news :D good xmas present for sure
 

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
Ah, come on Cobbler, don't be like that about it. It's taken me 14 years, at least a dozen applications, and cost me at least 2 jobs to get to the position I find myself in!!!! I'd all but given up, too.
Keep plugging away, fella, if you want it enough, you'll get it. That's what everyone kept telling me, and I and all I kept doing was feeling sorry for myself. I'd kinda resigned myself to the fact that I was gonna be stuck on a fork-truck for the rest of my life.
You've already done the hard work getting as far as you have, and now you're just gonna sack it all off??

What I think has happened is that they've just put the intake dates back a little bit. (My father who is ex-LM, agrees with me, as he knows that organisation is not one of their strong points) I was originally told I would start in January, but they've moved it to February, and I suspect that the next couple of intakes after that have been moved as well. They are also still interviewing, I believe. That's why you've been told that you may not hear from them now til April/May.

Please don't give up now, they've as good as offered you a job. It may just be that there are people booked onto intakes ahead of you. The hard work is done, my friend, keep holding on. I've just got to have a fellow Northamptonian on the job with me!!
 
Last edited:

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
I agree with Cobbler, its a lot to ask people to be 'on hold' for another 4-5 months when they have had all our details since the start of October and have worked at a very slow speed to sort out Assessment and Interviews etc, I am still waiting for a date for my medical. They also seem to think we all currently have jobs where we can drop everything at very short notice to attend things. I also get the feeling that they don't really read things through, for example at my interview, I was asked, seriously, if I had experience of handling cash. I've worked with cash since 1999. This demonstrates to me that despite them having my CV for almost three months they haven't actually read it.

I've applied for jobs at other firms including a rival TOC and whomever offers me a role first will get me, simple as that.
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
i shall probly depart this thread now ive come to the current conclusion of my application , its been good to chat to everyone as we went through the process and certainly a worth while thread if there ever was one

i wont bite my nose off to spite my face but realistically i have no offer and all current intakes are full so ill consider it closed

i just want to wish everyone who made it through a massive congrats , and have a great xmas and new year , im sure you will all do well

cheers guys
 
Last edited:
Joined
4 Dec 2012
Messages
20
Let's be absolutely clear about this: London Midland's recruitment department is a shambles.

I find the wall of silence disconcerting to say the least. I have learned more about my chances of starting work at LM from this internet forum than anything official I have received from them!

They stated to me that the start date would be 7th Jan at the assessment and said it again at interview and asked if that would be OK for me. I said it would be. Then there was the medical. Then... silence!

Is it any coincidence that this is the same company that was recently cancelling 100s of trains due to lack of staff?!

I've had to dodge and swerve at work like nobody's business in order to get time off to attend the various stages so far which have all been at very short notice.

Who's heard of a job where you apply in September and start best part of a year later if at all???

Why can't they forecast staff turnover and recruitment requirements like most other companies?
 

cobbler

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
191
everyone had a great crimbo and have a good ny aswell

just to drag this thread alive again :D

anyone who hasnt had an offer heard anything else yet

im currently passed everything including medical , unfortunately i dont think ive made it onto the current intake and last i heard was the next intakes would be april/may

just wondering if anyone else had heard anything ??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top