• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Manchester after 9pm - virgin trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

metal

New Member
Joined
26 Sep 2009
Messages
3
Hi all,

I wanted to ask regarding First Class on Virgin trains after 9pm.

I am getting a ticket on first class to Manchester just £5 more than standard class.

Can anyone please tell me if we get complimentary food on this service? The virgin site has a menu and they say evening food is served only on trains leaving in mid evening which I believe is between 6 and 8. Just to add, this is not a weekend service.

I am not sure what complimentary stuff you get on the late service.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mathmo

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2008
Messages
338
Please give your exact train time and route and then we can help. If your train does not get an evening meal (which it probably won't at that time), you should still get the "Light Bites" menu (sandwiches etc), but someone will be able to confirm given your train time.
 

metal

New Member
Joined
26 Sep 2009
Messages
3
Hi Mathmo...

Thanks for your reply.

Well the time is 9:00 pm train from London Euston arriving in Manchester at 11:11 pm.

I am not quite sure what we can get complimentary on the First class for a late evening service
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
Assuming that VT still offer the at-seat service on the late[r] evening trains, the light bites menu would be available, which consists of two cold options to choose from- one meat/fish etc and one vegetarian option.

They will probably be sandwiches, but it's possible that it could be some form of salad etc instead- the menus change every week, with 3 rotations existing, all offered alongside fresh fruit/ something sweet (e.g. chocolate cake slice) to finish.

I've heard that the menus are strangely being changed on Wednesdays now, as apposed to the original system of them all being changed at the start of the week.

You should also be offered a full selection of drinks- including tea/coffee/hot chocolate [if requested] / alcohol throughout the journey.
 

metal

New Member
Joined
26 Sep 2009
Messages
3
Hey Voyagerdude...

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they should offer at seat service. I will post what happens.

Thanks mate
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
No problem, I'd be interested to know, as i've not travelled out of London that late before. :)
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
Voyagerdude, you may be able to help me here, I am getting either the 09.40 or 10.40 Virgin Trains service from Euston to Crewe on the 7th December, Could you let me know what kind of complenentary service we are likely to expect in first class? im not expecting you to tell me the contents of the menu, but some idea of what sort of things we will be offered would be great,

My only difference between the 09.40 and 10.40 is the small fact of over £50! The other option was the 10.10 but that is a Voyager, and I have used theose many times, but am yet to travel on a Pendolino.

CSK
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
09:40- Full breakfast offer- Alongside Toast/ fruit juice/tea/coffee, you can order:(from memory)

Cereal

Full English- Bacon, Sausage [recently changed type i believe], Fried Egg, Potato Rosti & Grilled Tomato.

Vege breki

Salmon & Scrambled Eggs

Fresh Fruit Platter.

10:10 [221] /10:40 [Pendo] - Light bites menu:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
which consists of two cold options to choose from- one meat/fish etc and one vegetarian option.

They will probably be sandwiches, but it's possible that it could be some form of salad etc instead- the menus change every week, with 3 rotations existing, all offered alongside fresh fruit/ something sweet (e.g. chocolate cake slice) to finish.

You should also be offered a full selection of drinks- including tea/coffee/hot chocolate [if requested] / alcohol throughout the journey.

Note that both Super Voyagers* and Pendolinos offer the exact same light bites menu throughout the day- the only menu which is identical on both fleets.

*Although i'm aware that Birmingham-Scotland menus state that the alcohol offered north of Preston from the shop is slightly different, with the food still being identical.
 
Last edited:
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
Thanks, I should think ill be taking the 10.40 as I really want to get a Pendolino, but not shelling out an extra £50 foir the 09.40, so looks like 2 and a half hours in the first class lounge!
 

mathmo

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2008
Messages
338
When I went in the Euston first class lounge a couple of months ago I must say I was disappointed at the lack of complimentary food (though there was plenty to drink)...
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
Yeah, i've noticed that in all of the VT lounges i've visited, especially Euston, as you say yourself.

I've always wondered why they don't provide a better selection of small snacks (e.g. nuts/pretzels etc), especially considering that they have many different drinks on offer.

The FGW lounge at Bristol Temple M was always very good for biscuits/nuts etc being available, i always loved its small, cosy feel. :)
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Yes shame the one at BRI is now closed it was very nice but it was a rather stupid location. Cardiff is quite good in that respect though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top