• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London main railway stations for photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
343
I'm travelling to London regularly and usually have sometime to spare. I like to take photographs in stations of the different stock, can anyone give me an idea of where the good locations are please? I've done Kings Cross, St Pancras, Blackfriers, London Bridge, Cannon St. Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
The throat of Euston from down the very long platform 15 is a good place; you've even got the light behind you most of the day.

Acton Main Line you'll get a lot of freight, again with the light on the correct side.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
I find Stratford good for sheer busyness, always seems to be something entering or leaving the station everytime you look up!
 

Basher

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
343
The throat of Euston from down the very long platform 15 is a good place; you've even got the light behind you most of the day.

Acton Main Line you'll get a lot of freight, again with the light on the correct side.
Did Euston this week from platform 15, it was good advice. On top of that you can sit on a concrete plinth too.
 

Basher

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
343
Spent a couple of hours at Waterloo this week. Not the best of stations to photograph from the sun is a problem, until late afternoon. Found the staff very welcoming. On my next trip to London, I will try Victoria or Paddington. It's a lot of years since I was at these two stations. (class 50s HST, and class 73s)
 

Nippy

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
740
Did Euston this week from platform 15, it was good advice. On top of that you can sit on a concrete plinth too.
I used to sit on the plinth at the end of Pfm 15 at Euston in the early 90s.
 

Basher

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
343
One of my next visits is Charing Cross, any advice please.
I have had a few sessions recently at St Pancras, all I can say is the staff are great. It's a good station to photograph in, but you have to reposition yourself between platform 12 and 1. There is a lot of vertical steel work. Euro stars are not easy to get a picture of.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top