• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London KX to Gainsborough - best fare/split

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulshaw

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2011
Messages
41
Hi

I want a single to travel from London KX to Gainsborough (either station in the town) on Friday 30 July. ideally, I want to travel after 16.30. I have a PRIV card. There are a number of TOCs operating on the route but, as it's not one I am too familiar with, wondered if anyone knows the cheapest route/fare to buy for this journey and if there are any good legal splits I should be aware of?

Ta
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,842
Location
Ledbury
Hi

I want a single to travel from London KX to Gainsborough (either station in the town) on Friday 30 July. ideally, I want to travel after 16.30. I have a PRIV card. There are a number of TOCs operating on the route but, as it's not one I am too familiar with, wondered if anyone knows the cheapest route/fare to buy for this journey and if there are any good legal splits I should be aware of?

Ta

On a Friday, the super off peak is valid from 18.15 - can you wait that late?

Super Off Peak Single ANY PERMITTED £64.20 (minus your Priv)

Edit: if you can commit to a specific train, there are some advances available on 29th July (the 30th is a Saturday, so I presume you mean the 29th) - between £16.50 and £32
 
Last edited:

fulshaw

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2011
Messages
41
Can a PRIV card be used off a super off peak? I thought it had to be the maximum fare and therefore only the anytime tickets could be bought with it.
 

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,842
Location
Ledbury
Can a PRIV card be used off a super off peak? I thought it had to be the maximum fare and therefore only the anytime tickets could be bought with it.

[Annoyed Grunt] I always seem to forget that. [/Annoyed Grunt]

If you can find a train that stops at all the split points, or don't mind a slow one, you could use the following set of splits:

Anytime Single: LONDON KINGS X to Hitchin @ £13.50 (route ANY PERMITTED )
Anytime Single: Hitchin to Peterborough @ £10.00 (route ANY PERMITTED )
Anytime Single: Peterborough to Saxilby @ £20.00 (route ANY PERMITTED )
Anytime Single: Saxilby to GAINSBOROUGH L R @ £3.80 (route ANY PERMITTED )

Edit: all price minus your discount
 

fulshaw

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2011
Messages
41
No problem! yes, it is annoying, esp as having a RC would sometimes work out cheaper but thanks for the split - I will see if there are any trains making those stops.
 

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,842
Location
Ledbury
No problem! yes, it is annoying, esp as having a RC would sometimes work out cheaper but thanks for the split - I will see if there are any trains making those stops.

You could try:

London Kings Cross 18:14 Peterborough 19:40
Peterborough 19:57 Lincoln Central 21:01
Lincoln Central 21:27 Gainsborough Lea Road 21:48

Edit:

If you pay a little more to buy a ticket from Peterborough through to Gainsborough (extra £3.20) you could take:

London Kings Cross 17:10 Peterborough 18:22
Peterborough 18:39 Retford 19:26
Retford 20:27 Gainsborough Lea Road 20:41

But beware the 1 hr layover at Retford - I've no idea if there's a decent pub nearby :)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top